Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stem Height and Aging

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which riding position best describes your current riding position?
Position 5 - Leisure
9.43%
Position 4 - Fitness
31.13%
Position 3 - Performance
38.68%
Position 2 - Agressive
22.64%
Position 1 - Aerodynamic
9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Stem Height and Aging

Old 09-25-20, 09:56 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
From photos others have taken of me riding I’ve noticed I lean forward a lot more than most riders. My bars are generally about 4” lower than the saddle. I guess that’s position 2? I intentionally have higher bars on my gravel bike so maybe it’s a 3. My flexibility seems to be pretty good. I still have a really long golf backswing just like when I started playing about 60 years ago. I was hoping it might get shorter as I aged but so far it’s about the same.
Old 09-25-20, 10:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I suspect that riding in the drops (with good form of course) is a form of stretching and core strengthening, I was surprised the first time I went to a yoga class and was able to do a plank much longer than expected. I can also touch my toes easily. Of course, I have all sorts of tightness and weakness in other directions, but going forward and down is no problem.
Old 09-25-20, 11:25 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
My lifetime of cycling set me up for back failures, and no matter what I tried - I could never make up for the deficiency of having a very curved lumbar spine.

However, it was marathon running that finally triggered a full blown herniated disc and subsequent sciatica.

Word to the wise - if you feel back or butt pain, or foot numbness or leg tingling - stop what you are doing and CHANGE your fitness routine or equipment.

Don't be a RICHARD cranium........
Likes For Richard Cranium:
Old 09-25-20, 11:37 AM
Drk

Bikes: Old - Trek 970, Trek Pilot 5.0. New - Giant Explore 2.0 e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 66 and have Spinal Stenosis. I can't walk real far without leg numbness, but thank goodness, I can currently ride my bikes as far as I want.

I ride in position 3 on my road bike which I try to ride more often for fitness.

I recently converted my old Trek 970 to a beach cruiser and use it when riding the beach trails with my significant other. I'm in position 5 on it.
Likes For Drk:
Old 09-25-20, 12:02 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am in position 3 on my commuting bike and 2-1 on my road bike, about 3 or 4 inches drop. 61 years old, I started cycling at 48 and my position gradually lowered over the first few years. So it's not a fundamental law that we have to sit more upright as we age.
Old 09-25-20, 04:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Are you still able to ride in an aero position?...
As a rider ages, he/she often migrates more towards the Position 5, gradually replacing one's aero road bike with a more leisure bike that allows for a very up-right and very un-aerodynamic riding position...This makes me sad (I.e., it makes me sad that people feel obligated to by recreational bicycles instead of race bikes due to the stiffness and muscle loss that is a part of aging.)
The short answer: No and I am not sad that I or others ride in a non areo position
I am glad that I am mentally flexible enough to adapt my cycling technique to the associated aches, pains and/or limitations that may accompany the aging process and can continue to enjoy bicycling even if not with the same intensity of younger years.

I never felt any sadness about buying or riding bicycles strictly for recreation, and have never felt any obligation to buy race bikes or ride in an areo position.

Nor do I feel sad if other bicyclists are able to adapt their cycling technique/equipment to their physical conditions in order to keep enjoying bicycling.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-25-20, 04:56 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I'm 62 and ride in the 2-3 position almost all the time. I have about a 5" drop from my saddle to the top of the bars, although my arms are pretty long.
I started doing yoga intermittently a few years ago and subsequently stopped doing all the other stretches that I used to do when I played soccer.
The most important thing for my well being (aside from regular riding) is the foam roller on the IT bands.
Old 09-25-20, 06:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with your poll. My aggressive position has nothing to do with saddles or stem height, it has everything to do with the bike design. Put me on a nice downhill and I can coast away from a furiously-pedaling tandem team. I have set KOMs on roads where I was riding the brakes. At least your poll seems to imply, correctly, that sometimes the bike matters.
Old 09-28-20, 08:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with your poll.
I'm doing a highly unscientific survey to try and determine if it's inevitable that bicyclists "devolve" to a more up-right riding position as we age no-matter-what or if the more aggressive riding positions are just as possible despite one's age.

What I've experienced on various bicycle forums and in real life is that many people who rode a race bike when they were young gradually buy a bicycle that has a more up-right riding position as they age... and in many cases, give-up on traditional bikes altogether and buy a recumbent or trike. The reason for this is typically, "I can't comfortably ride in that low position any more due to [insert medical conditions here, like lower back pain, neck pain, belly is too big, etc.]".
Old 09-28-20, 11:01 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I'll be 62 in a few months, and I'm a 2 or 3 riding a Ridley Fenix frame with I think 20 mm of spacers 6 degree stem rise.
Old 09-28-20, 11:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'm doing a highly unscientific survey to try and determine if it's inevitable that bicyclists "devolve" to a more up-right riding position as we age no-matter-what or if the more aggressive riding positions are just as possible despite one's age.

What I've experienced on various bicycle forums and in real life is that many people who rode a race bike when they were young gradually buy a bicycle that has a more up-right riding position as they age... and in many cases, give-up on traditional bikes altogether and buy a recumbent or trike. The reason for this is typically, "I can't comfortably ride in that low position any more due to [insert medical conditions here, like lower back pain, neck pain, belly is too big, etc.]".
Of course it's not inevitable for everyone. We are not all the same. A friend who was an Olympian and national team member is now 69 and can still get the total "flat back" position. Another friend is 68 and has the body of a fit 35 year old and can also get low and haul ass on his Tarmac.

I have never been able to get super low and age has definitely affected my flexibility and if I spend a few hours in the drops it wears me out.
Old 09-28-20, 05:53 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
At 63 I probably ride mostly in #3 position even if I like to believe it is #2

I believe my frame size is a tad on the bigger size, so I ride mostly with hands on top or on brakes and go into more aggressive position by bending elbows more, not by moving hands to drops. That would make my arms almost straight, but perhaps that is because I don't like to bend my back that much.

Reading the thread, all I can say, there is huge diversity of body builds and riding style. If you do long endurance rides, your position will be less aggressive than if you do fast fitness rides that don't need to be too long. In long endurance rides, you have more weight on the saddle that goes hand in hand with less aggressive position, and vice versa.

At this age, I got my first aero bars TT bike LOL with much smaller frame, hope I will be able to last on it for some 20-30 miles rides.
Old 09-28-20, 06:14 PM
Zuzus pedals

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just turned 62 on Sept. 10, 2020. I use position #2 most of the time (saddle to bar drop is about 2.5 inches and I do bend my elbows a little) but go to position #1 for short periods if I'm on a flat or downhill section of something I'm trying to PR. I can only hold that flat back aero position for about 8 minutes without relief unless I put on some tri bars and completely slam the stem (which I haven't done in a couple of years). Without doing that, I find it so uncomfortable to hold a bent elbow position and keep my neck in place that it affects my performance (plus it just takes a lot of the fun out of it).

Last edited by Zuzus pedals; 09-28-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 12:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My riding position is more aggressive and aero now than in 2015 when I first resumed cycling after a 30-year hiatus. But that demanded a lot of physical therapy, in a clinic under supervision and at home. After being hit by cars twice in 20 years with serious injuries it takes a lot of work to stay reasonably limber.

I set up my bikes to suit my neck, which has permanent C1-C2 damage from injuries. I prefer being a bit more stretched out, but without too much drop between bar/stem and saddle. Over the years I've gone toward longer stems.

Oddly, a position that's too upright is less comfortable. My neck feels better with a moderately aggressive position -- usually illustrations 2 and 3. When I'm sitting too upright I can feel crunching in my neck on every little jolt in the road. And an aero tuck with drop bars or aero bars strains the neck and upper back muscles, so I can hold an aero tuck for only 30-60 seconds at a time.

I mostly ride drop bar road bikes now -- bars about 2" below saddle height -- and had to adjust my favorite hybrid to be a bit more aggressive for comfort. I replaced the upward angled stem to a long horizontal stem from a road bike, and set the albatross bar at saddle height. My comfort hybrid/errand bike has bars slightly higher than the saddle and is comfortable only for short distances.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-04-20, 06:47 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
I wouldn't mind being solidly in 2 but am more like a 3. I've got congenital disk fusion that led to pretty good neck arthritis with the accompanying bone spurs. We'll see what more time brings... I'm just 51 now.
I’m 66. Old neck fracture has me with a 3 level cervical fusion. Using a Rivendell inspired setup. I’m good with it. Enjoying the non competitive ride..
Old 10-07-20, 08:41 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
50 y/o here
Though I have several bikes for several purposes. my fastest two bikes are setup like position 2. These are for shorter 20-50 mile rides, where I am pushing myself for decent average speeds (usually 17-18mph). I can usually last up to 3 hours in those positions before my neck and shoulders start to feel it.
My two classic vintage racing bikes are setup like this too.

The rest of my road bikes are setup like position 3, for example, my randonnuering bikes.
Old 10-08-20, 08:30 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Position 2 or 3 for me still even after 3 level lower back fusion 3 years ago and another spinal stenosis surgery 11 years prior to that. I find that am completely painless on the bike and after a ride my back feels the best. It's my therapy at 60+.
Old 10-21-20, 09:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I will be 66 in a week and still in the drops 90% of the time. I do stretch at least once an hour on long rides. I stop and drink and then a few stretching exercises . This keeps me in the drops without suffering from any fatigue.
Old 10-22-20, 01:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I will be 66 in a week and still in the drops 90% of the time. I do stretch at least once an hour on long rides. I stop and drink and then a few stretching exercises . This keeps me in the drops without suffering from any fatigue.
I'm 75 and on long rides go about 50 miles between water stops, where I don't stretch. My bars are about 10cm below my saddle. I normally ride either on the hoods or on my aero bars, using the drops for sprinting, out of the saddle efforts, and fast technical sections. That's how modern bikes are set up to be used. This is how most folks do it today:

After a long hard ride, I'm totally cooked. I used to stretch at stops, but don't need to anymore. I stretch most mornings instead.
Old 10-22-20, 02:01 PM
Kabuki12

1982 Medici Pro Strada
This is my most modern bike!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-22-20, 04:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
1982 Medici Pro Strada
This is my most modern bike!
Nice! That's a modern setup except for those shifters. I clearly remember holding the wheel of a younger guy with brifters. Every time I had to shift he'd put a little pressure on me. I admit to having lusted. That was the first time I ever saw brifters.
Old 10-22-20, 04:42 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I find the older I get, my bars get a bit higher, my low gear a bit lower, and my tires a bit fatter. I recently built up this 1979 Trek 510 (full ishiwata O22 frame, low temp silver brazed). I like it because it fits 700 x 35c tires; perfect for gravel and road riding.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-23-20, 09:35 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by bikemig
I find the older I get, my bars get a bit higher, my low gear a bit lower, and my tires a bit fatter. I recently built up this 1979 Trek 510 (full ishiwata O22 frame, low temp silver brazed). I like it because it fits 700 x 35c tires; perfect for gravel and road riding.

I have a 1973 Mondia Special that takes really wide tires (1.39") and has a taller stem. That is my go to when my arthritis is acting up. That Trek is set up nicely , they are great bikes.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 10-23-20 at 09:40 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-24-20, 02:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I checked "fitness." All of my bikes are set up with the tops of the bars level with the saddle, give or take. With that said, I injured my back a couple weeks ago, and only today was ready to even try riding a bike again. It was painful to ride, so I ordered a 120 mm stem riser for one bike. My guess is that I'll ride it that way until my back heals, then I'll take it back off when I get sick of it. Or maybe not. We'll see.

The riser seems like a decent compromise. It's my only bike with a threadless steerer. If this becomes permanent, then I'll have to figure out longer stems on the other bikes, or decide how many bikes I really need. That would be a bit sad. Or maybe I'll get a new bike.

Now, all of my bikes have swept bars, so I have a lot less reach to contend with than most riders.

#1 priority is getting back on my bike at all. #2 is comfort and performance. #3 is looks.
Old 10-25-20, 09:40 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I checked "fitness." All of my bikes are set up with the tops of the bars level with the saddle, give or take. With that said, I injured my back a couple weeks ago, and only today was ready to even try riding a bike again. It was painful to ride, so I ordered a 120 mm stem riser for one bike. My guess is that I'll ride it that way until my back heals, then I'll take it back off when I get sick of it. Or maybe not. We'll see.

The riser seems like a decent compromise. It's my only bike with a threadless steerer. If this becomes permanent, then I'll have to figure out longer stems on the other bikes, or decide how many bikes I really need. That would be a bit sad. Or maybe I'll get a new bike.

Now, all of my bikes have swept bars, so I have a lot less reach to contend with than most riders.

#1 priority is getting back on my bike at all. #2 is comfort and performance. #3 is looks.
This book really helped me to rehab my injured back: https://pezcyclingnews.com/latestnew...ore-advantage/
I didn't change my slammed stem fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.