Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

90's Norco Tourister (NEW) identify & value help

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 08-21-20, 10:18 PM
onlythelonely

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi members,

Can one of you human encyclopedias help me identify approx. year & value of a VTG Norco Tourister 6-speed *BNIB*. The frame was still wrapped in paper, but I was able to see the top tube and it has "tourister" in hand writing and a blue color. It seems to be pretty much identical to the picture in another thread of a tourister as all the badges are identical as well as the crankset. If someone can PM me, I will send you the link to post? I just joined BF and I need 10 posts before I can post links..

I only had a quick look as nothing is put together. No seat. The derailleur was Suntour. The box with the logo's etc. is also definitely from the 90s, so I'm positive this is not from the 80s. Is a Norco from the 90s worth $250USD, when I still need to buy a seat, handlebars gripped, and whatever else related to putting together the bike? Am going to have to replacement rubber components that have decayed? Seems way too steep to me.

Any direction would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by onlythelonely; 08-21-20 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 03:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Bikes like the Norco usually go for under a hundred dollars, where I live. New Old Stock (NOS) does add value but does not, necessarily, add to the collect ability of the bike...

However, without pictures, and knowing where you live, and knowing how much mechanical aptitude you have, and knowing your size, and knowing how you found out about the bike and is it a men's model or woman's (step through frame). Produce a post for each of those questions just presented. Why..?

You need ten posts, spread over at least two days, before Bike Forums will allow you to post pictures (anti-spam thing). So, nine more posts, offering information pertaining to the above and we will all be able to see the bike and get to know you. And you will get to know us.

Anyway, looking forward to trying to help and welcome to the Bike Forums. This place can be addictive and, if it is any help, I give bikes like the one below away. The one below came from a local dump...
Old 08-22-20, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The bicycle in your gallery album (see below) is not 1990s. It's impossible to provide an exact year based on a non-drive side photo, but given the decal style, it is early 1980s.

The early 1980s Tourister was a basic, city bicycle, near the bottom of the Norco line. The frame was hi-tensile steel and the 26" rims were also steel. They were pretty heavy bicycles, weighing around 30 lbs. on the plus side, they came standard with fenders.

As noted by Randy, an early 1980s Tourister would typically be a sub-$100 CDN bicycles. However, the pandemic has played havoc with prices. If you're in a larger metropolitan area, prices have increased, sometimes dratically, while rural areas have seen drops. NIB will also increase the price. It's still going to require a lot of work. I wouldn't want to be riding a bicycle with 35-40 year old grease. Things would probably wear out quickly, as many 1980s greases lose their lubricating ability over time. The missing parts are also going to add significantly to the cost. I'd have to be pretty desperate to fork over $250 US for an incomplete, early 1980s, NIB, Norco Tourister.

If you want to know the exact year, post a picture of the actual bicycle. We should be able to see enough through the wrapping to get an idea of the era. If you can get the serial number, we may be able to identify the exact year.

Old 08-22-20, 10:09 AM
onlythelonely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Randy. And thanks so much for the great info from you and t-mar. Sorry, I should have waited for my 10 posts.
I will try and get the serial number and take some pictures, but it's also a 23" frame and I'm 6'5 1/2. Although, never been properly fitted my guess is that I need a 25" or 63cm. Will be getting fitted soon.
Old 08-23-20, 03:51 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by onlythelonely
Thanks for the welcome Randy. And thanks so much for the great info from you and t-mar. Sorry, I should have waited for my 10 posts.
I will try and get the serial number and take some pictures, but it's also a 23" frame and I'm 6'5 1/2. Although, never been properly fitted my guess is that I need a 25" or 63cm. Will be getting fitted soon.
The 23" will be too small. At your height I would be looking for 25" or 27" frames. Harder to find no doubt.
Old 08-24-20, 12:47 AM
Packa1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice looking bike
Old 10-24-20, 11:13 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The bicycle in your gallery album (see below) is not 1990s. It's impossible to provide an exact year based on a non-drive side photo, but given the decal style, it is early 1980s.

The early 1980s Tourister was a basic, city bicycle, near the bottom of the Norco line. The frame was hi-tensile steel and the 26" rims were also steel. They were pretty heavy bicycles, weighing around 30 lbs. on the plus side, they came standard with fenders.

As noted by Randy, an early 1980s Tourister would typically be a sub-$100 CDN bicycles. However, the pandemic has played havoc with prices. If you're in a larger metropolitan area, prices have increased, sometimes dratically, while rural areas have seen drops. NIB will also increase the price. It's still going to require a lot of work. I wouldn't want to be riding a bicycle with 35-40 year old grease. Things would probably wear out quickly, as many 1980s greases lose their lubricating ability over time. The missing parts are also going to add significantly to the cost. I'd have to be pretty desperate to fork over $250 US for an incomplete, early 1980s, NIB, Norco Tourister.

If you want to know the exact year, post a picture of the actual bicycle. We should be able to see enough through the wrapping to get an idea of the era. If you can get the serial number, we may be able to identify the exact year.

Nice picture. That is from my albums on this forum, not the OPs.

FYI. Based on the Norco decals the pictured bicycle is a 1983 model year. From the serial number the frame was made in 1983.
Old 10-24-20, 11:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Hummer
Nice picture. That is from my albums on this forum, not the OPs.

FYI. Based on the Norco decals the pictured bicycle is a 1983 model year. From the serial number the frame was made in 1983.
Yes, I knew it wasn't the OP's phot. That is why the my 1st sentence in the 4th paragraph stated. "post a picture of the actual bicycle".

There's no argument that the bicycle in the photograph is not a 1983, as you had access to the serial number, but Norco used that decal style for more than one model year.
Old 10-24-20, 12:48 PM
Hummer

Yes, I knew it wasn't the OP's phot. That is why the my 1st sentence in the 4th paragraph stated. "post a picture of the actual bicycle".

There's no argument that the bicycle in the photograph is not a 1983, as you had access to the serial number, but Norco used that decal style for more than one model year.
Your 1st sentence in your 1st paragraph, addressed to the OP clearly states: "The bicycle in your gallery album (see below) is not 1990s."

Which gallery album did you get the picture from?
Old 10-24-20, 02:40 PM
T-Mar

Your 1st sentence in your 1st paragraph, addressed to the OP clearly states: "The bicycle in your gallery album (see below) is not 1990s."

Which it wasn't. That statement was in response to the OP's statement that his bicycle, "seems to be pretty much identical to the picture". He was very clear that he had grabbed the photo from elsewhere, which is why my 1st sentence of the 4th paragraph (not the 1st paragraph which your are quoting) requested, "post a picture of the actual bicycle".

Which gallery album did you get the picture from?
The picture that I posted was taken directly from the OP's album. Check for yourself. It's still there. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/525245
Old 10-24-20, 04:37 PM
Hummer

The picture that I posted was taken directly from the OP's album. Check for yourself. It's still there. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/525245
I looked for the OP's album and could not find it.

I guess I am not as adept at finding albums as you.

Edit: You could do everyone a service if you would state the source of the images in your posts.

Last edited by Hummer; 10-24-20 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more comments
Old 10-24-20, 05:23 PM
T-Mar

I looked for the OP's album and could not find it.

I guess I am not as adept at finding albums as you.

Edit: You could do everyone a service if you would state the source of the images in your posts.
I did state the source of the photograph, when I replied to the OP saying "The bicycle in your gallery album (see below)..."

As for your not finding the OP's album, I provided the hyperlink to the album in my previous post.