Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Silver Comet Trail and Covid-19

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 09:13 AM
kenshireen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I rode the trail on Wed.. picked it up at Rambo Nursery MM 22. Started at 3:30 rode to Rockmart... barely any bikers or walkers. . Trail is around 14 ft wide.. so if you ride on the outside when you see oncoming traffic you should be perfectly fine. Not sure about weekends. IF anybody has any other experience please let me know.. Otherwise I travel to Bud Brewery in Cartersville which is a long trip
Old 06-16-20, 01:04 PM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Agree, mostly empty with good riding.
Old 10-08-20, 06:25 AM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
My buddies and I are planning on riding the Silver Comet next Saturday ( Oct 17th ) from Hiram to Rockmart and back. Are there any issues with the trail that you know of? Closed, repaving, etc? I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. ( here in Greenville, SC they are repaving the Swamp Rabbit Trail so there are sections that are closed daily, which made me think to ask about the SCT )
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-20, 09:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn6870
My buddies and I are planning on riding the Silver Comet next Saturday ( Oct 17th ) from Hiram to Rockmart and back. Are there any issues with the trail that you know of? Closed, repaving, etc? I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. ( here in Greenville, SC they are repaving the Swamp Rabbit Trail so there are sections that are closed daily, which made me think to ask about the SCT )
Thanks in advance!

Glenn, I hope y'all have a great time. You can check for updates here: https://www.silvercometga.com/
Old 10-11-20, 08:30 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,729 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Not aware of anything but the Brushy Mountain tunnel always has an inch of standing water throughout and is fairly long maybe .20 miles. I don't go out that way or turn around at the entrance. You can go slow and it won't be too bad. Its a shame because its nice out that way.
Old 10-14-20, 04:57 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Thanks for the responses. Weather forecast looks perfect. Last time we rode the SCT it was two years ago and at the tail of a hurricane, so it rained most of the day. Was still fun, but looking forward to a sunny day
Old 10-22-20, 07:14 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Thanks for the responses. Weather forecast looks perfect. Last time we rode the SCT it was two years ago and at the tail of a hurricane, so it rained most of the day. Was still fun, but looking forward to a sunny day
How did it go? We need pics and a ride report.
Old 10-22-20, 07:50 PM
Glenn6870 

Ride was great! Weather was awesome. It was a little nippy in the beginning, about 52 degrees, but went up to about 63. Sunny the whole day, but if you know the trail, we were in the shade the whole time. I actually liked it that way though, because if it was full sun, it would have been warm!
We started in Hiram and rode all the way to just west of Rockmart. My legs about exploded going up that hill by the Grady Road Landfill. That is where we turned around and went back.
All said it was 68.5 miles. It was busy in the sections closer to the trailheads, but for the more desolate areas, it was wide open.
The only negative all day was on the way out, just about 5 miles west of Rockmart i was riding next to my buddy at hit something, i have no idea what, and got a pinch flat. It was a pretty hard hit, i felt it in my wrists/elbows/shoulders.

Likes For Glenn6870:
Old 10-24-20, 02:08 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Ride was great! Weather was awesome. It was a little nippy in the beginning, about 52 degrees, but went up to about 63. Sunny the whole day, but if you know the trail, we were in the shade the whole time. I actually liked it that way though, because if it was full sun, it would have been warm!
We started in Hiram and rode all the way to just west of Rockmart. My legs about exploded going up that hill by the Grady Road Landfill. That is where we turned around and went back.
All said it was 68.5 miles. It was busy in the sections closer to the trailheads, but for the more desolate areas, it was wide open.
The only negative all day was on the way out, just about 5 miles west of Rockmart i was riding next to my buddy at hit something, i have no idea what, and got a pinch flat. It was a pretty hard hit, i felt it in my wrists/elbows/shoulders.

Cool, and the tunnel was dry! In the past few years its been constantly wet. I wonder if they did some repairs. This summer it was an inch deep when it hadn't rained in a week.
Trash mountain is a tough climb especially if you don't know it's coming.