Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shelter options... Complicating things too much? Thoughts?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-07-20, 03:25 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I've been working on my shelter options here over the past month or so. Long story short, I've been making do with some "other" options as my hammock has been MIA for a long time. Those "other" options included, originally, a 10x10 tarp and a variant of a dome tent. In the time since working on the tarp idea I ended up finding my hammock set up. On the surface, that, to me, is a game changer because after I switched to a hammock some years back that has been my sole camping shelter system as it is more comfortable for me.

In having options and looking at them in detail here - I am at a bit of a conundrum. The tarp on the hammock has a "door kit" I can put up. That includes 4x door panels that somewhat block off the front and back. However, when the wind blows the inside still balloons out and the seams open up quite a bit. For a light breeze and mostly straight down rain, that isn't a concern. However, if a storm was approaching and there was the risk of storm winds + rain the hammock +tarp combo wouldn't be my choice shelter.

In times past I have always put down a ground cloth, like a door mat of sorts (big trash bag) under the hammock to keep some gear off the ground. If there was a chance of storms/blowing rain then any gear outside I would put inside a trash bag - boots, pack, etc - to keep them dry just in case. That has saved my bacon more often than I can count.

Given the option, the dome tent I have is a pretty stout "storm proof" tent. I am in the process of reconditioning the fly (I seam sealed it about a month and a half ago - still a bit of leaking so I am going to spray it with a fabric conditioner also to bring back the water repellency). If there was a risk of heavy weather the tent would be the place to be.

So that is my conundrum. The hammock was looking like it was going to cover all the bases - whether able to hang or pitch on the ground. However, looking at the possibilities - in heavy weather I don't know that I'd want to be hunkering down with that being the only option.

I want to say the tent all together is about 9lbs. I'll weigh it tonight when I get it back apart (its drying from my water test as I type). If I didn't take it I would take the main poles as those are how I am pitching the hammock on the ground. So considering the poles can serve both purposes, the weight isn't quite as bad, but it is still a lot of bulk.

Before I found the hammock set my plan was the dome tent and 10x10 tarp. I started making doors for it that were going to be attached to the tarp, not separate pieces like the hammock has. The idea would be to do the simple tarp shelter unless there would be heavy weather where the tent would come in to play.

Why I wouldn't want to use the tent as the sole shelter is 2 fold:
- It takes more time/effort to set it up (than either the tarp or hammock shelters)
- Since I have the hammock available now I prefer to use it if given the option

For basing comments - think about the scenario that if you were on a trip and had a storm front pass that was going to keep things pretty solidly wet and stormy for a whole day or more, enough that you decided to hunker down and let it pass. What would you do in my shoes? Chance it with the hammock only? Or would you have the tent option and use it?

I don't know what the forecast is going to hold or my timing to check the forecast at the moment, but all I can do is expect a lot of rain + storms and if it doesn't happen - all the better.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-07-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 04:30 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
There's two types of people that work on engineering/science-oriented projects.

Those who "aim, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim , aim, aim...................and rarely fire"

The other type of approach is akin to a tank commander, "FIRE!, aim, FIRE!, aim, FIRE!, aim........."

If it were me, and it was about two weeks ago with touring and camping in 35 degree nights and riding with 55 degree highs, and dealing with rain two nights, one day, over the 275 mile trip, I'd go (and did go) with this tent:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a silnylon tarp:
https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/silnylon-tarp/

The tent with all accessories to setup (takes 5 minutes) weighs in less than 5 pounds. The tarp of any size is a pound or less..the rigging to set it up is less than a pound. This combo gives you TONS of flexible-setup dry protection options for you and your gear and your bike. I've weathered horizontal white squall rain with this setup and remained perfectly dry.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 10-07-20, 05:28 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

How does this answer:
Originally Posted by fishboat
If it were me, and it was about two weeks ago with touring and camping in 35 degree nights and riding with 55 degree highs, and dealing with rain two nights, one day, over the 275 mile trip, I'd go (and did go) with this tent......
speak to my frame of reference here for which to base comments off of?

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
For basing comments - think about the scenario that if you were on a trip and had a storm front pass that was going to keep things pretty solidly wet and stormy for a whole day or more, enough that you decided to hunker down and let it pass. What would you do in my shoes? Chance it with the hammock only? Or would you have the tent option and use it?

I don't know what the forecast is going to hold or my timing to check the forecast at the moment, but all I can do is expect a lot of rain + storms and if it doesn't happen - all the better.
If you're thinking I'm over-thinking the scenario - how can you predict the weather out to between 10-20 days? I would imagine getting wet is for certain. I would also put my money on hunkering down for at least a storm or two, if not a passing front that keeps things "flowing" for a day or more as was the baseline from which I was asking comments to be from.
Old 10-07-20, 06:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Yes. Just like with the rain gear.

Worried that you might get wet and/or not be able to find trees? Then pack for the “worst case scenario”: a quality, light tent (my tent with ground sheet comes in at a whopping 4 lbs. total and fit comfortably on my rear rack) and quality rain gear. That’s what I do, especially when traveling out west, where it has been snowing, hailing, raining and/or sleeting one day then sunny and warm/hot the next. Sometimes in the same day. But suit yourself.

Packed for two weeks of camping and cooking in the mountains of MT and ID. Never ran out of fuel. Never even close to hypothermia even during cold rain and sleet descending Gold and Thompson Passes as well as a couple of other bouts with rain at lower elevations. Never had to MacGyver my sleeping shelter. Set up the tent with ease, and it did its job.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-07-20 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-07-20, 06:13 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Take a tent: Northface stormbreak 1, durable, water proof, and weighs just under 4lbs if you include a ground cover and all the ‘frills’. Good all around 3 season tent and you can use it for backpacking too.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 10-07-20, 10:06 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
When in doubt, go with a tent, there's always ground to be found but not always trees where you need them. Trust me, hammocks make for really crummy bivies.
Old 10-07-20, 10:11 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Just like with the rain gear.
Thanks

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Worried that you might get wet and/or not be able to find trees? Then pack for the “worst case scenario”: a quality, light tent (my tent with ground sheet comes in at a whopping 4 lbs. total and fit comfortably on my rear rack) and quality rain gear. That’s what I do, especially when traveling out west, where it has been snowing, hailing, raining and/or sleeting one day then sunny and warm/hot the next. Sometimes in the same day. But suit yourself.
The main concern with the hammock and tarp in heavy weather is the "wind tunnel" affect. If a torrential rain storm ensued and the wind kicked up to where air was blowing through the tarp (see pic below - it was windy today when I had it out - it is an A configuration but with optional "doors") there would be no way to keep things under the tarp dry with heavy wind-blown rain. The doors don't seal so air is free to blow around. That is exactly why the dome tent is storm-proof - it has a low fly all the way around and there is nowhere for the fly to separate as it is either sewn or closed with a strong zipper.

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Take a tent: Northface stormbreak 1, durable, water proof, and weighs just under 4lbs if you include a ground cover and all the ‘frills’. Good all around 3 season tent and you can use it for backpacking too.
Thanks for the thought - but I don't have the option to buy new gear beforehand. So the only options are risk it with the hammock + ability to ground pitch it or take the dome tent I have in addition.

If I could predict the weather over a shorter period I would be fine calling the hammock my sole shelter - its done that for years. However, its never been in a heavy rain storm with a lot of wind and, that, is my concern. It has been in a lot of rain (remnants of Tropical Storm Lee over the Appalachians some years back), just not much wind with it.

If heavy storms are possible the tent has to go so I guess thats the decision.

Below is the hammock ground pitched with the tarp + doors on. You can see right through the tarp + door joints because they are just clipped together at the corners. There is no seal between them and the tarp.

Old 10-08-20, 05:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
😔 Good luck.
Old 10-08-20, 10:50 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Just a few thoughts:
Days are getting shorter, resulting in more time spent in the shelter. Would you rather spend more time in a tent or a hammock? Would you like to sit out a rain day under a drafty tarp or confining hammock rather than a spacious tent?

If I understand your post, you are considering taking both a hammock and the tent. If that is the case, you might consider the one shelter that would handle the widest range weather conditions.

I'm estimating it is about a 2-week tour. I'd take the tent.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-09-20 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For Doug64: