Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Calif Coast tour, but campgrounds closed.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Calif Coast tour, but campgrounds closed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 08:15 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
as a Canadian reading that, Im not sure what to think, that's quite a statement.
Maybe you are joking
As an American, I respectfully decline your invitation to discuss domestic politics, unfortunately I don't have the time.
Old 10-19-20, 11:54 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
As an American, I respectfully decline your invitation to discuss domestic politics, unfortunately I don't have the time.
you're right, I should not have brought it up.

in a related story, I once stayed at a just recently closed French campsite, only people there were the two caretaker guys in their little trailer. They were happy as clams to have company, fed me supper and wine all evening. Staggered into my tent very late that night. A memorable day that started with seeing a neat grape wine harvest festival, having a neat encounter with some gypsies when I mistakenly rode into their camp, then ending with the friendly camp guys and all their wine.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-19-20, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
During Govt shut down the National Parks were empty. Minimal patrolling. Some folks took back roads to get into the parks out west and virtually had them to themselves. Imagine Arches with no tourist!!
I just love hiking amongst human excrement, don't you?

https://www.outsideonline.com/241123...l-parks-impact

https://www.inquirer.com/news/corona...-20200403.html

.https://time.com/5869788/national-parks-covid-19/

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-19-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 02:20 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
First off let me say, I did not sneak onto closed National Park lands but I did but talk to those that had. Most were local climbers and hikers that often did back-country travel throughout the area. I also talked to rangers who knew people were backpacking while the parks were closed. I kinda got the feel that they knew that those using the park understood the park and rules. During shutdown the rangers were also telling us how best to acquire water during the shutdown, which in the southwest is key. I didn't see a Gov crackdown.

In the Southwest when back-country traveling (hiking/biking/paddling) one should pack EVERYTHING out period. That is how it is done, so no excrement should be left. I have done it on all my trips, I hate it but do it. It is essential in the SW of the U.S. Groover tubes are the only way one can do it. In other parts of the country burying it is fine.

I have found that parks (state, county, fed) have closed bathrooms during Covid but have often installed port-a-potty's to replace them.

Stealth camping, which may be considered dishonest/illegal in the U.S. is not in many parts of the world.

I am a firm believer of leaving no trace, pack it out and if people follow this I see no problem camping in closed parks.
Old 10-20-20, 08:55 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
It's amazing how heavily-patrolled a closed NP is. I think they patrol them even more when they are closed.

I think this is absurd, FWIW, since the land is ours not theirs. But that's what will happen if you mess with the feds, they will crush you like a bug every chance they get.
Is it that difficult to obey a closed sign?
the White House is “ours” also but it doesn’t entitle you to just walk in.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-28-20, 06:11 PM
Lanesplitter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I'm on the coast right now, and almost every campground is open. In fact, Gaviota is open ONLY for cyclists. Stayed two days. Hiked the mountain trails. Both the sunrise and sunset can be seen over the water this time of year During low tide, the walk down the coast is stunning. Incredible. Has a hot spring too (2+ mile hike).

Hurry up though, they will cost Big Sur off as soon as the first rain comes this year. It will stay closed until spring.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 10-30-20, 07:02 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Are you typically paying the hiker/biker rate, or full-pop for camping?

Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
I'm on the coast right now, and almost every campground is open. In fact, Gaviota is open ONLY for cyclists. Stayed two days. Hiked the mountain trails. Both the sunrise and sunset can be seen over the water this time of year During low tide, the walk down the coast is stunning. Incredible. Has a hot spring too (2+ mile hike).

Hurry up though, they will cost Big Sur off as soon as the first rain comes this year. It will stay closed until spring.
Old 10-30-20, 08:33 AM
Lanesplitter

I paid hiker biker price. The showers were open and the CG hosts are still there. So not completely empty.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 10-30-20, 09:28 AM
Lanesplitter

Oh yeah, it probably is worth noting that all the campgrounds in Big Sur are closed--even Phifer. All of the day areas are also closed (Phifer's open for day use) And since they're being used for Cal Fire, you can't even go in to rest. This means, from Monterey to San Simeon, no camping, to say nothing of HB spots; however, there's several outstanding stealth spots past Big Phifer.

Point Magu also closed their HB. I dont know why they did. In Phifer, it was because the trees are falling everywhere in the campground. In Leo Castillo, however, ten miles down, I have the whole HB to myself. They are allowing only one group at a time. One cyclist equals one group. What I did was tell them about the other cyclists in front and behind me that I met over the weeks that may be close, because since they had contact with me, they would count as part of my group and be allowed in. One came yesterday, and no others (that I know) came after me, so I consider myself lucky.

On a side note, the homeless problem that plagued the Pacific HBs, is no longer a thing.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 11-03-20, 06:51 AM
jpjuggler

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by derail3
Most of the CA state parks are open south of SFO. The campgrounds require reservations. No hiker biker sites because that is considered group camping.

Here is my list of campgrounds SFO-SAN. If they are marked hiker-biker they also have reg camp sites. Military ones will req a DOD ID. First number is total miles from start. Second number is miles from preceding campground.

PACIFIC COAST ROUTE CAMPGROUNDS, HOSTEL, MILITARILY LODGING

000/000
Colma Bart station

026/026
Half Moon Bay State Beach
Hiker-Biker

048/022
Pigeon Point Light House
Hostel

083/035
New Brighton State Beach
Hiker-Biker

128/045
Navy Lodge Monterey
Military lodging

131/003
Monterey Veterans Memorial Park
Hiker-Biker

133/002
Navy Post Graduate School Monterey
Military-Lodging

136/003
IHG Army Hotel Monterey
Military-Lodging

169/033
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Hiker-Biker

198/025
Kirk Creek Campground
Camping (no water or showers)

203/005
Plaskett Creek Campground
Camping (no showers)

238/035
Hearst San Simeon State Park
Hiker Biker

265/0027
Morro Bay State Park
Hiker-Biker

273/008
El Chorro Regional Park
Camping

275/002
Camp San Louis Obispo
Military-camping military-Lodging

293/018
Pismo State Beach/North Beach Campground
Camping

295/002
Coastal Dunes RV Park
Hiker-Biker

296/001
Oceano Campground
Camping

339/043
Vandenberg AFB
Military-Camping. Military-Lodging

381/042
Refugio State Beach
Hiker-Biker

384/003
EL Capitan State Beach
Hiker-Biker

416/032
Carpinteria State Beach
Hiker-Biker

439/023
McGrath State Beach
Hiker-Biker

448/009
Navy Lodge Port Hueneme
Military-Lodging

454/006
NAS Point Mugu
Military-Lodging. Military-Camping

456/002
Point Mugu State Park
Hiker-Biker

460/004
Leo Carrillo State Park
Hiker-Biker

487/0027
Hi Los Angels Santa Monica Hostel
Hostel

516/0029
Fort MacArthur
Military-Lodging

554/0038
Crystal Cove State Park
Camping

568/014
Doheny State Park
Hiker-Biker

595/027
Pendleton Pacific Views Lodge
Military-Lodging

611/016
San Elijah State Beach
Camping

637/026
SanDiego
Military-Lodging
Thanks very much!!!
Old 11-03-20, 06:54 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a side note, the homeless problem that plagued the Pacific HBs, is no longer a thing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize homeless were a problem at the HBs. Sad to see the big sur segment with few options, but thanks for the up to date intel.
Old 11-03-20, 06:56 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter

thanks for the info!!! is the hot spring at gaviota? is it easy to find?
Old 11-03-20, 08:36 AM
Lanesplitter

Originally Posted by jpjuggler
thanks for the info!!! is the hot spring at gaviota? is it easy to find?
I never went. My first day there was me setting up my tent and sleeping. The next day, I went on a hike in the mountains and saw it on the map. Later, I went on a hike down the coast during low tide instead. Two of the best hikes I can remember. You can go for a couple of miles south down the coast with uplifted Monterey shale cliffs along it the whole way.
Likes For Lanesplitter: