Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

ebikeling 36V Kit

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

ebikeling 36V Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 10:46 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
ebikeling 36V Kit

Has anyone (DW) used ebikeling's 36V, geared kit with a 52V battery? Seems like many 52V controllers have 63V caps so it should be possible, but I don't want to purchase in order to find out.
Old 01-28-19, 02:28 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I didn't check the little caps when I had mine opened up. The big ones are 63V.

It's a nice 22A controller. Has 9 MOSFET's.

I had two problems with the LCD display. (1) It cannot show speed on a coasting geared motor It's missing a speedometer input. (2) Pedal assist (5 level) is too strong. Accelerates too fast in PAS 1. I have spent a little time adjusting this, but it's not satisfactory to me. As recently as last Fall, customers were still having this issue.

On Amazon, he now sells a more expensive kit with Higo waterproof connectors. Pictures show a different LCD display too, so the above problems may be gone. It's just getting the right firmware.

I bought two ebikeling kits last year. One was the LCD version where I scrapped the controller and went with a KT unit. The second one I bought with LED and find it worked fine. I'll probably buy a second LED display to get the first controller working again. The LCD allows different battery voltage to be programmed, but the LED display has its voltage readout fixed to particular voltage. However, it still sends the right PAS signals.
Old 01-28-19, 04:37 PM
2old

Thanks DW.
Old 02-04-19, 05:07 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
About 2 years ago I bought an Ebikeling 36V 550W front 700c kit with the LED display. I paired it with a 36V 12A LifeP04 battery pack. I was surprised by the quality of a low priced kit, and the install was easy.

At about 1500 miles I blew a mosfet in the standard controller. The battery has a high peak rate, so rather than replace the mosfet I bought a 30A 48V controller which has worked out fine. As noted, PAS level 1 can be a bit aggressive, so I usually turn it off in crowed places like parks.

Their prices are good, they are easy to work with, and overall, I am pleased with the package.
Old 03-26-19, 06:57 PM
den458

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought the Ebikeling 36V 500W 26" rear geared kit with LCD. I applied it to my Sun EZ-Speedster SX recumbent bike. The build quality is excellent as far as I can tell, & I've learned enough about the programmable LCD features in use to conclude it's an excellent value. It's not perfect, but it's easily perfect-enough for me. Combined with a 36V 15.6 AHr battery (I understand it would also work fine with a 48V battery), it displayed some unbelievable range for me, in pedal-assist, in flat-Florida this winter. The only nuisance: it's true in my observations that speed is not continuously & accurately reported by the LCD. I simply continue to use my Cateye bike computer I've always used & rely on it for accurate speed & trip details. I learned that I could program the LCD to provide PAS in 3-steps, or 5-steps, or 9-steps. In 3-step-mode PAS-1 (ECO), my bike pedaled along with effort at about 17 mph on a full battery; in 5-step-mode PAS-1 (ECO), I pedaled along about 15 mph; in 9-step-mode PAS-2 (ECO, PAS-1 mysteriously operates the same as PAS-0) I pedal along about 13 mph. When I want to go a little faster for the same pedaling effort, I just bump-up the PAS level. I've played with the parameters available with the LCD, so that I have a delayed, gentle onset of assist. I don't understand everything about the LCD programming: Parameter P11, PAS sensitivity, range 1-24, I set it to 12, because whatever it does is too subtle for me to notice so far. I really wish I had a theoretical, block-diagram of the LCD capabilities.

I like to take long rides and I was concerned about a kit & battery combination that would minimally get me 40+ miles pedaling. It had to be a geared motor, so that when the battery shuts down, I could still easily pedal my now-heavier bike, without any DD motor drag. I'm 67 years old & 230 lbs, nearly 3 years post-GBS (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) onset, but otherwise in decent cardiovascular shape.

I've done a little exploring of my available range: In 9-step-mode, PAS-2 (lowest available working assist-level, providing minimal battery drain, yielding maximum range)... You may find it hard to believe, but... I pedaled, continuously, 80 miles in 70+ degree, reasonably calm weather on flat, paved Florida terrain and had 2-of-5 bars remaining on my LCD battery gauge. Numerous factors including primarily the battery capacity & my pedaling contribution determine my range. Your results will vary. I'm happy that my eBike has more range than I do. I was a limp noodle after 80 miles.

Agreed, Ebikeling is easy to work with. I definitely plan to buy another identical Ebikeling kit for my other EZ-Speedster here in Illinois. I'd unquestionably buy a 20" rear geared kit from Ebikeling if one were available in a normal tire-width version, but they only offer a 20" fat-tire version currently, & I think it is direct drive, not geared.
Old 03-27-19, 06:27 AM
2old

Possibly ebay will have the 20" kit you're looking for; more expensive, but definitely available from ebikesca, em3ev or dillenger.
Old 03-27-19, 10:16 AM
Doc_Wui

Nice report, den48, which ebikeling kit are you using? Is it the slightly more expensive one with round connectors and an integrated main harness sold on amazon, or the one with the usual jumble of assorted connectors sold on both amazon and ebay.
Old 03-30-19, 10:21 AM
den458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Nice report, den48, which ebikeling kit are you using? Is it the slightly more expensive one with round connectors and an integrated main harness sold on amazon, or the one with the usual jumble of assorted connectors sold on both amazon and ebay.
I have the inexpensive solution, I think an incredible value, currently out-of-stock, but I understand they will have more of that inexpensive version later this year. They now offer my kit upgraded to a waterproof version of motor & connectors, for about a $50 upgrade over what I paid previously. I'm a fan of Ebikeling & my kit - really good fit for me once I setup the LCD parameters to my liking.

Ebikeling's 20" kit is currently a FAT-tire version only. I'd loved to have bought a 20" normal-tire kit from them, but I'm told that kit is not sufficient demand, & I understand. I did find a very similar 20" (normal-tire-width) rear-wheel (no tire/tube), geared 36V500W kit with PAS, throttle, brake-handles, disc-brake capable with color LCD8 display elsewhere. I expect delivery some weeks away. Looks like a 20" version nearly identical to what I got previously, but with a different, color LCD.
Old 04-08-19, 03:50 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
36v 10a 500w motor

I bought a 500w 10a 36v motor, am installing it with the oem parts, no customizing except using 3 12v SLA batteries instead of lithium. This is lower power /acceleration etc than 52v etc and electronic s problems you are all talking about. At least I hope I don't have those problems. All the Amazon reviews were good.
Old 04-14-19, 08:31 PM
den458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is about the Ebikeling 36V geared kit. I'm not sure if the last post belongs here on this thread.
Old 04-21-19, 11:18 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Restricted thread?

Is this thread only about Ebikeling ? If so, that should have been indicated at the beginning or by Bike Forums.
Old 04-22-19, 06:50 AM
Doc_Wui

If you find a geared motor kit in the USA that is competitive in price/features, it's worth hearing about it.
Old 04-28-19, 10:29 PM
den458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Is this thread only about Ebikeling ? If so, that should have been indicated at the beginning or by Bike Forums.
YES, the thread title, at the beginning, is ebikeling 36V kit, so the thread focus is the ebikeling 36V kit.