Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Hard to steer?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Hard to steer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 07:49 PM
troie
:\ ping of death

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not get inner ring bolts and keep the granny? Youll probably need it more anyway.
Old 07-26-08, 08:10 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by troie
Why not get inner ring bolts and keep the granny? Youll probably need it more anyway.
'Cause he wants to be like me.
Old 07-26-08, 08:23 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeto
the bolts that hold the chainring on, they are a tad to long for just one crank. I dont have any washers small enough, so the big chain ring stays on to take up the slack on the bolts.
a couple bucks will get you bmx single ring bolts, or chainring spacers. or grind off the teeth on your big ring. a couple bucks will get you a basic bashring as well.
Old 07-26-08, 08:29 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrublover
a couple bucks will get you bmx single ring bolts, or chainring spacers. or grind off the teeth on your big ring. a couple bucks will get you a basic bashring as well.
Yah Cheeto...you'll need the bash anyways to keep the chain on. I built this 1x9 crapper Komodo outta misc. parts laying around with no bash and no jumpstop and dropped the chain 7x on the first ride. Second ride, I had a FD on it to keep the chain on...dropped the chain 0x.

A Jumpstop and a bash are definately a must for the XC Maniac.
Old 07-27-08, 05:41 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not going to ride the big gear why not just use it as a bash guard instead of getting an actual bash guard? One advantage it has over a true bash guard is the teeth. Those babies can dig in to logs and help you get the bike over 'em. I've used my big ring more than once to help me over a log.
Old 07-27-08, 05:44 AM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris_F
If you're not going to ride the big gear why not just use it as a bash guard instead of getting an actual bash guard? One advantage it has over a true bash guard is the teeth. Those babies can dig in to logs and help you get the bike over 'em. I've used my big ring more than once to help me over a log.
1. Looks silly
2. It grabs your pant leg and chews it up.
3. You do WHAT??? to help you over a log...? (no need to repeat your answer, this kind of riding just makes me cringe)
Old 07-27-08, 10:22 AM
Cheeto
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because, a local rider was using the big chain ring as a bash guard and it went into his leg, and tore muscle tissue out. A bash guard and jump stop is in the future. (i ordered a jump stop through my LBS already)

I hate the granny gear, which is why Im going 1x8.
(or maybe 1x9 when my new wheelset comes in)

i rode yesterday and dropped the chain quite a bit, jammed it down in between the BB and the Crank as well lol.

Yea, I was looking at spacers and the SS bolts already, but, if I'm getting a bashguard, why bother.

Chris, I'm rough on parts, but not THAT rough now... I can only imagine what that would do...

If I cant bunny hop it or jump it or go around it, I walk it.
Old 07-27-08, 11:11 AM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used my big ring more than once to help me over a log.
Me too.
Old 07-27-08, 05:33 PM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
3. You do WHAT??? to help you over a log...? (no need to repeat your answer, this kind of riding just makes me cringe)

What area of the country are you in? Here in Cow-Hampshire we have tons and tons and tons of trees and most trails have some sort of log across 'em. I think it's pretty common practice to use the big ring to claw over 'em since they're absolutely covered in gear teeth marks. I geared my way over one just yesterday as a matter of fact. Once you've done it once or twice it's no big deal. I can't do jumps or skinny bridges and I really don't have much in the way of "skill" so if I can claw over a log it can't be that hard.

Cheeto:

Actually it isn't hard on the equipment at all, as far as I can tell. I've never broken anything and none of the guys I ride with have broken anything on a log jump. Now rocks, you gotta be more careful with rocks. Can't just wail in to 'em. The rocks here are covered in scrapes from pedals and chain rings, but you try and avoid hittin' em with the chain ring if you can. Sometimes though it just happens.
Old 07-27-08, 05:55 PM
ed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What area of the country are you in? Here in Cow-Hampshire we have tons and tons and tons of trees and most trails have some sort of log across 'em. I think it's pretty common practice to use the big ring to claw over 'em since they're absolutely covered in gear teeth marks. I geared my way over one just yesterday as a matter of fact. Once you've done it once or twice it's no big deal. I can't do jumps or skinny bridges and I really don't have much in the way of "skill" so if I can claw over a log it can't be that hard.
I'm in CowKansas, haha. (worst joke evah) Yeah people do that here too...probably everywhere for that matter. It's just one of those OCD thingy's of mine, I guess. I can't stand foreign noises coming from my bike either. When I had a dually, I took the entire rear-end apart tracing down a "click" noise. Bent chainrings wouldn't stay on my bike 30 minutes. Wheels untrue? Nope!

I'm gonna start another thread about what I did to my Avid Juicy 5's today, haha.
Old 10-06-18, 12:38 AM
RyderRY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pack it in!

Originally Posted by Cheeto
My bike is hard to turn now, it's like the headset is sticking now. Any ideas? Do I have to take it all back apart and clean it?
before heading into the option of greasing up the bearings in the bike, you MUST check for any dents in the tubing of the bike stem (the part in which the bearings and axle assembly is contained) is there are any, be sure to put something that is long and hard enough to go into the tube and make sure to yank firmly on to any dents that cave into the assembly causing it to firm up as you are turning. Before greasing the bike bearing and stem assembly, you want to clean the parts thoroughly to eliminate interference with the moving parts. Finally you want to pack in the grease until the tube is completely full
​​​ Resemble and have fun riding bike!!