Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A dishonest LBS owner...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A dishonest LBS owner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 03:08 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
David - when you get the bike for repair, post here with a list of what needs servicing. I'm curious.

-Kurt
It's a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that's been sitting for 30 years. The hubs all gummed up. That will be all that's wrong with it other than needing bearing repacked, fresh cables and rubber.
Old 07-25-09, 03:14 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
A bike shop offered my ex $100 for a gorgeous mid-80s Bianchi that I had purchased new. I was furious that someone would try to take advantage of her lack of bike knowledge. Fortunately, she didn't bite. She probably paid the shop more than that for new tires and tuneup.

I've helped some of my neighbors and friends with their old bikes and they sometimes say I should start a business, but in reality, none of them would be willing to pay anywhere near what it actually cost to bring these bikes back to life. They get my labor for free, and at times, that really adds up. I've stopped offering to help people find old bikes too, because I'm compelled to clean it up, and make it safe, and even that takes a lot of time.

Last edited by sunburst; 07-25-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 03:22 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
It's a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that's been sitting for 30 years. The hubs all gummed up. That will be all that's wrong with it other than needing bearing repacked, fresh cables and rubber.
You know this how?

Is it a coaster brake SA hub? Are you sure it's gummed and that's all? Is it rusty(it's in a Detroit suburb, chances are), New tires, tubes, bearings in the headset, bottom bracket repack? Complete wash and rub out with wax/compound? New grips, seat? New brake pads, cables, casings?

How much would you charge for that?

It's tough to get $125 for a refurbished Breeze in a college town. The parts and labor are worth more. One of the LBS's charges $20/pc for 26" S-5 tires. yes, I know they can be had cheaper mail order, but...
Old 07-25-09, 03:49 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
"I am just waiting for her to decide on a convenient time for me to show her how to fix her own bike. And I am so pleased to have saved a bike from an uncertain fate for the one who appreciates it the most."

For me, this is one of the most satisfying parts of being a bike junkie. I have taken beaten to crap bikes and spent a little time, always free of charge, to make them functional again. I love teaching people how to do simple repairs and adjustments themselves, and love even more putting an old bike back on the road again.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 07-25-09, 03:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Sounds like $200 in service to a bike that when road ready would sell around here for $100. The only way to cost effectively get a bike like that one serviced is to do your own work and buy parts via the internet.
Old 07-25-09, 04:51 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Good for you! That really is the crass end of the bike business.

Around here, I fear that the "volunteers" and employees of the local co-ops and charities cherry pick all the good bikes and parts, and only sell the scrap.
I don't know where this is coming from... but it strikes me as being way out in left field. I volunteer at a bike co-op and my observation is quite the opposite. Basically most volunteers I see work so that the co-op can survive... that means taking the best bikes and parts and allowing the co-op to sell them. If it only sells the unwanted "crap", as you describe, it will soon be out of business.
Old 07-25-09, 05:37 PM
bikemeister

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
"And I am so pleased to have saved a bike from an uncertain fate for the one who appreciates it the most."

For me, this is one of the most satisfying parts of being a bike junkie. I have taken beaten to crap bikes and spent a little time, always free of charge, to make them functional again. I love teaching people how to do simple repairs and adjustments themselves, and love even more putting an old bike back on the road again.
It's a labor of love.
One's gotta keep their perspective correct. I couldn't repair bikes for a living, and I won't repair HVAC for fun. The latter is my occupation, the former is a hobby. I can and will do things that a for-profit LBS won't do. That'll make them fume. (Oh well, I'd get a little perturbed if somebody went around fixing air conditioners for free because he dug it!)
No bicycle is impossible to fix, IMHO, unless the frame is bent, broken, or rusted through. Sure, it might not be economically feasible to fix, as it would take more time than it is worth. But when it's a labor of love, the cost isn't a factor. The time isn't a factor. Making a profit isn't a factor. It's saving something from the dump that isn't made anymore, returning something to use that has been neglected or abused, and/or seeing the look on the owners face as they take the bike away.
You know, this discussion is making me want to go get that old Sears 3-speed and save it from oblivion!
Old 07-25-09, 05:43 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by molarface
... although she likes her old bike, is she going to be well served by riding a fussy old bike?
Best solution - new $300 bike, save the old one to look at, for sentimental reasons...
Don
Wait, is this C&V?!? I have more in nearly all my bikes than I could ever re-coop, Brooks saddles, new alloys and tires on all my Raleigh Sports, way too much in my International and Competition, etc. Would I trade any of them for a new Chinese made bike? Never. What kind of bike are you going to get for $300.00 that's going to be better than a vintage Schwinn, especially when the owner is the original owner and the bike has sentimental value for her? Hell, I just spend 500.00 to rebuild my old Concord Pro-1. Hardly worth it to anyone but me.
Old 07-25-09, 05:48 PM
bikemeister

Originally Posted by roseskunk
Wait, is this C&V?!? I have more in nearly all my bikes than I could ever re-coop, Brooks saddles, new alloys and tires on all my Raleigh Sports, way too much in my International and Competition, etc. Would I trade any of them for a new Chinese made bike? Never. What kind of bike are you going to get for $300.00 that's going to be better than a vintage Schwinn, especially when the owner is the original owner and the bike has sentimental value for her? Hell, I just spend 500.00 to rebuild my old Concord Pro-1. Hardly worth it to anyone but me.
Just wait until the Chinese stop selling to us because the dollar tanks, and there won't BE any "new" bikes to buy! (Heck, that'll apply to just about everyhting the way things are!) Then, all the old clunkers and vintage bikes that are rideable will sell like red meat tacos!
Old 07-25-09, 06:27 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemeister
Just wait until the Chinese stop selling to us because the dollar tanks, and there won't BE any "new" bikes to buy! (Heck, that'll apply to just about everyhting the way things are!) Then, all the old clunkers and vintage bikes that are rideable will sell like red meat tacos!
Cuba has some experience with that situation...

American C&V car enthusiasts salivate when they think about all that old Detroit steel just waiting to return to the U.S. when we finally normalize relations with Cuba.
Old 07-25-09, 06:29 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, and the LBS owner is a jerk. At least she knows what her neighbor is now.
Old 07-25-09, 06:48 PM
Bruce Enns

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Wait, is this C&V?!? I have more in nearly all my bikes than I could ever re-coop, Brooks saddles, new alloys and tires on all my Raleigh Sports, way too much in my International and Competition, etc. Would I trade any of them for a new Chinese made bike? Never. What kind of bike are you going to get for $300.00 that's going to be better than a vintage Schwinn, especially when the owner is the original owner and the bike has sentimental value for her? Hell, I just spend 500.00 to rebuild my old Concord Pro-1. Hardly worth it to anyone but me."

Thank you very much
Old 07-25-09, 08:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
The guy at the shop may have said that it's not worth fixing, and the woman may have heard that it can't be fixed. It's easy to misunderstand that, especially if the guy isn't articulate and the woman doesn't know about bikes.

Then again, asking her for a bike, WHICH CAN'T BE FIXED, is crossing the line, so never mind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-25-09, 11:08 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all the well-considered responses! I see I left out some essential information, and other parts need to be re-emphasized:

1) First, I agree with everybody who has responded. The bike is likely not economically feasible to be repaired by the LBS. Neither LBS is obligated to repair her bike nor tell her where it can be repaired. I heard only her side of the story. She very well may have misunderstood her neighbor when he said it "couldn't" be repaired. He may very well said "it can't be repaired for a reasonable price". And he might have said "I'll just take it off your hands if you want". And neither LBS tried to perform the repairs with an outrageous price tag attached. All true.

2) But I'll wager most of our vintage bikes are not "economically feasible" to be repaired by the LBS. That's why most of us do our own work.

3) It's also why most of us who re-sell bikes we have refurbished never get back the investment of time and money, because most of us have day jobs that pay far more than what we could charge per hour for labor, and so the lost opportunity cost is much more than the market will bear. As Bikemeister says, I would never repair bikes for a living. Then it would be work. As long as it remains a hobby I enjoy, then it is play. It is a labor of love.

4) And since it's a labor of love, it doesn't matter to the friend or to me if the parts and especially labor, cost far more than the value of the bike (and yes, I too think it's a Breeze or a Collegiate); the sentimental value is far greater.

5) What Bikemeister said -- "Just wait until the Chinese stop selling to us because the dollar tanks, and there won't BE any "new" bikes to buy!" -- An addition to the story: the his-and-hers bikes, called "Coffee and Cream", were indeed made in China, and they did indeed cease production. Again, this is uncorroborated hearsay, but this friend said the factory that made these bikes was in Beijing, in the zone where factories were shut down in order to allow the air pollution to abate prior and during the 2008 Summer Olympics hosted there. That factory has not re-opened, so there are no more bikes and bike parts for that brand the friend and her husband were considering. She felt lucky they didn't buy them for that reason.

6) I will get photos of the bike, before and after, and a list of the repairs needed to report here when I find out. Maybe I should just bring it to Mr. Old Fat Guy!? I'm no expert.

7) I will also try to get the other side of the story. Perhaps Mr. LBS Neighbor offered to take her old bike as a trade-in on the new bike. Or perhaps it was as she said. I have been in that shop last year, and there WERE a couple of vintage bikes in the front window and on the main floor with hefty price tags on them.

8) With regard to the Sturmey-Archer hubs -- I have a couple of bikes on hand right now so equipped, and recently sold a Hercules with one; I guess I've been extraordinarily lucky so far with them, because I haven't had to do anything but wipe off the grime and add a couple of drops of oil to them. I've a '79 Schwinn Collegiate 3 that my daughter just loves, and I just last week brought home a $5 Huffy with the S-A hub. Someone spray-bombed the whole thing, so there is paint on the hub, the spokes, the brake cable housing, the headbadge, the chain...yes, I am nuts for wanting to fix it. But it has that three-speed hub. I just re-read Sheldon Brown's article on S-A, and have gained a new appreciation and respect for the old three-speeds. So I'm fixing it, even if it is "only" a Huffy.
Old 07-26-09, 05:39 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Feel free to bring it by, David. I have more than one low end Schwinn the the garage right now, and even a Sear 3 speed.

In fact I have a 3 speed Breeze I just finished.

Regards---John
Old 07-26-09, 11:13 AM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This story is so heavily filtered it is hard to make heads or tails of it.

I do agree there is most likely no dishonestly on the part of the bike shops. "It can't be fixed", can mean a lot of things. It can't be fixed economically is one of them.

If we use the $300 purchase price as a benchmark, that might allow for $100 in parts and $200 in labor (let's assume that works out to be 3-4 hours fully burdened in a shop, could be more, could be less). Who among you can strip, detail clean and reassemble a bike that's been hanging in thegarage for twenty years, including your time finding and purchasing all the C&V replacement parts, and do it all in just a few hours?

For a professional (LBS) it probably does not make sense to do that, hence, the, "It can't be fixed (economically)" comment.

Dishonest? No way. I think you should retract that claim and offer an apology. Really!

For the OP, it's a hobby. Great! Good for him, good for her. That is what is required to make this a reality - free labor.

P.S. - How much would you like to bet that after you spend a day doing maintenance on the bike it spends the next 20 years hanging in the garage.
Old 07-26-09, 11:27 AM
bikemeister

Originally Posted by DavidW56
...Someone spray-bombed the whole thing, so there is paint on the hub, the spokes, the brake cable housing, the headbadge, the chain...yes, I am nuts for wanting to fix it....
I snagged a bike like this, covered head to toe - wheels and all - in blue paint. When I finally got around to it, I started stripping the paint off, expecting to find rusted metal - the bike would have been scrapped for parts. Imagine my surprise when I discovered CHROME on the chainguard, and great condition chrome on the rims! The bike turned out so well my wife appropriated it as hers and had me sell her existing bike!
Old 07-26-09, 12:08 PM
manicmike

Bikes: Soma Saga, Soma ES, Salsa El Mariachi, Old Bianchi SS Conversion. Nishiki Cascade Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I don't know where this is coming from... but it strikes me as being way out in left field. I volunteer at a bike co-op and my observation is quite the opposite. Basically most volunteers I see work so that the co-op can survive... that means taking the best bikes and parts and allowing the co-op to sell them. If it only sells the unwanted "crap", as you describe, it will soon be out of business.
i've seen some of the same thing. go to our local coop and most of the good bikes are marked "not for sale" because they are reserved by the regulars. can a coop go out of business? i'm not saying it does'nt fulfill a certain role, but just because it's a coop does'nt mean it's run well.
Old 07-26-09, 12:34 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
On a similar note, I had taken a rear wheel from a Schwinn collegiate to the lbs to have the freewheel removed. I was told "it can't be removed, it's stripped". I could see that it looked fine so I bought the tool and did it myself. Now is that dishonest?? Because I was pretty angry when I left (I did not show it).

BTW, that was coming from the older mechanic. Older meaning he appeared 60+ years old
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 07-26-09, 01:32 PM
andr0id

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
You know this how?
Because I used to rebuild 2 or 3 of them a week from about 1976 to around 1980. They're built to last through nuclear war. They just need lube and adjustment, rarely parts.

Tires, tubes, cables & housing shouldn't set you back more than $80 or so. And an overhaul is what? Maybe $100. And if you're paying for an overhaul, you'd shouldn't be paying anything extra to replace cables, mount tires, etc... It's already a given the bike going to be taken apart. Of course overhaul nowadays means keep your bike for 5 days, *look* at all the sealed bearings, collect fee, send you on your way.

Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Is it a coaster brake SA hub? Are you sure it's gummed and that's all? Is it rusty(it's in a Detroit suburb, chances are), New tires, tubes, bearings in the headset, bottom bracket repack? Complete wash and rub out with wax/compound? New grips, seat? New brake pads, cables, casings?

How much would you charge for that?

It's tough to get $125 for a refurbished Breeze in a college town. The parts and labor are worth more. One of the LBS's charges $20/pc for 26" S-5 tires. yes, I know they can be had cheaper mail order, but...
Old 07-26-09, 01:40 PM
brockd15 

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
For the OP, it's a hobby. Great! Good for him, good for her. That is what is required to make this a reality - free labor.
Free labor isn't necessarily what's required; there's nothing here to compare against. Neither of the places said they could fix it for X amount, they just said they couldn't fix it. The place that could was too far away. We don't know what she would have been willing to pay to have done whatever it ends up needing.

And the talk from others of what the bike would sell for in no way applies here...I don't think she's looking to flip her childhood bike that she bought with her $0.50 an hour job when she was 12. In this case there is no thought of profit margin, so the market value, and what you could sell it for on CL, is a moot point.
Old 07-26-09, 01:58 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My LBS is pretty quickly developing the reputation of that odd shop in timbuktu that'll fix the old bikes. Right now they have several moldie-oldies in the back, waiting to get all fixed up. The mechanic there has been a wealth of information to me in my quest to learn all I can about the old bikes. I try to funnel all the customers I can to them since I feel bad about hanging onto my old bikes and not buying something new from them.

Two sides to every coin I guess.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-26-09, 02:08 PM
stausty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manicmike
i've seen some of the same thing. go to our local coop and most of the good bikes are marked "not for sale" because they are reserved by the regulars. can a coop go out of business? i'm not saying it does'nt fulfill a certain role, but just because it's a coop does'nt mean it's run well.
This is certainly fodder for another thread, but...

On the surface a co-op that passes the good bikes on to regular volunteers doesn't seem like a good idea, but what is the alternative? The point of a co-op is to provide help in repairing bikes for the community for cheap or free or sell decent, affordable transportation. If the primary goal is repair and assistance, then donated bikes destined for the parts bin if they're not claimed by someone. If it's a good bike then there's quite a bit of demand and it always is claimed very quickly, leaving the cheap junk around. The regulars are there to claim it more often, so they get bikes more often.

A co-op that sells bikes has an even hairier situation to deal with, since they can almost always undercut whatever competition is around, be it local bike shops, flippers, etc. So either they a) sell bikes cheap, meaning the good bikes still go quick (A $50 Miyata 1000 will go just as fast on Craigslist as it will at the co-op) or b) price things based on what the market will bear, so good bikes stick around, but they'll always make more profit at a given price. They will still undercut everyone by at least a little bit but only enough to drive lots of people out of business and your chance of getting a good bike at a cheap price is unimproved. At that point they really should be classified as a for-profit business, voiding any co-op-ness they had originally.

Obviously it can get out of hand, but what's the problem with keeping your good volunteers around by occasionally paying them in bikes? And for some co-ops being run poorly, what portion of LBS's are run poorly?
Old 07-26-09, 02:59 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brockd15
Free labor isn't necessarily what's required; there's nothing here to compare against. Neither of the places said they could fix it for X amount, they just said they couldn't fix it. The place that could was too far away. We don't know what she would have been willing to pay to have done whatever it ends up needing.

And the talk from others of what the bike would sell for in no way applies here...I don't think she's looking to flip her childhood bike that she bought with her $0.50 an hour job when she was 12. In this case there is no thought of profit margin, so the market value, and what you could sell it for on CL, is a moot point.
Just remember that all the points you make in your first paragraph are only what you've bbeen told, are heavily filtered and the person who posted them is in no way impartial. Re-read his latest post, just above.

For a local bike shop there should ALWAYS be a thought about profit and profit margin. They are in business to make a profit.

I do agree that selling the bike for a profit is not part of this story, as far as we know.

I also feel very clearly that there is no dishinestly involved on the part of either shop.

This is one of those stories that is just too distorted to know the "truth".

Last edited by Mike Mills; 07-26-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 03:45 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

FWIW, one of the local Ann Arbor shops told me about 5 years ago that I would have to junk my Cinelli and buy a new bike.

This , of course is not true.

On the other hand, the old parts on it went to a fellow forumite and it was reborn with modern Campagnolo 10 speed.

Net cost to me...zip, nada, zilch.

If one has the passion to restore an old Schwinn, more power to them.

Last year we bought back my wife's old Collegiate from the farmer she sold it to 20 years prior. When she sold it , it was shiny, when we bought it back it looked just like a bike that had been sitting in a barn for 20 years, and had been backed into by a tractor. We paid way too much fr it.

We had the frame straightened, I actually took all the bits off and polished them on the buffer, and she has a <faded> bike that can't be replaced.

I figure we have about $300 into that Collegiate, and she wouldn't sell it for twice that.

In the interim, I've found nicer, pristine, identical ones (apart from the serial # and Ann Arbor bike license) for $5 -$20. She prefers the old, faded one.

Point of the post... there isn't one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.