Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a sprung saddle?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-22-18, 11:36 AM
DaveYuhas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got "back in the saddle" after 35 years. My butt is killing me after a few short rides of no more than 3 miles. I've read that a sprung saddle would help greatly. What do you think?

Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-22-18, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One popular Sprung saddle is Brooks , traditional leather , with 2 coil springs.. been made for 100+ years .

Another approach , spring suspension seat posts.. with whatever saddle you choose,

or continue searching through the thousand or so saddles in search of the one your tush likes best...
Old 08-22-18, 02:36 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Brooks B-66 here. I've had it four years and it's still hard as a rock and I love it. If the springs flex at all I can't tell it while riding.
Old 08-22-18, 04:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
DaveYuhas, what type of bike are you riding? Upright comfort bike? Touring bike with drop bars? Sport bike with drop bars? Mountain bike?
Old 08-22-18, 04:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I have a Brooks B-66 on my Raleigh Superbe and like it fine, but I don't think I would like it as much on a bike with a less upright seating position than the Superbe.

Saddles are a very personal choice, but I would suggest that if your bike is a road-type bike, with dropped handlebars, a sprung saddle might be less than ideal. If, however, your bike is a more upright bike, like a hybrid or cruiser, a sprung saddle could prove to be quite satisfactory.
Old 08-22-18, 05:53 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Not a butt joke, but give your body some body some time to adjust! After all, you have not been riding for 35 years. Perhaps it should be remembered that Brooks leather saddles need some time to "mould itself" to fit a user's butt. I'll bet thst is your issue too.

in about 2005-6 I purchased (on eBay) 3 different B-17s that were hardly used at all. I'll bet the sellers did not allow enough time for break in. I use all 3 and have taken the time to break them in. Initially uncomfortable, but as I sweated more as I rode the leather became more pliant etc. No need to put Proofide, Dubbin, Neatsfoot Oil, or anything else to hasten the break-in. I wonder if spring seats would help. But then I have used those seats for 50+ years.
Old 08-22-18, 06:18 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I have a Brooks Champion Special on my Long Haul Trucker. Its the same shape as a B17. I have a B17 on my regular road bike. I have found the size and shape to be a bigger factor in rear end pain. However, my back feels much better with the springs after a long ride.
Old 08-23-18, 06:20 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I got a Brooks sprung seat when I returned to cycling about 12 years ago because of sore butt syndrome. I quickly concluded that I was better off on an un-sprung saddle. I have been riding a Brooks B17 most of the time since I switched and I like it. I recently got a Selle Anatomica for my spare bike and I like it too - maybe better than the B17.
Old 08-24-18, 03:26 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am riding a Brooks Flyer (a sprung B17). It replaced an unsprung B17.

I weigh north of 260#.

The springs are so stiff, they do not make any difference, I can barely tell they are there.

In the early days you want to ride more upright (probably need a hybrid or other 'relaxed geometry' bike). A wide saddle (like a B66) will serve you better until you start riding 15+ miles. I am not sure that it is worth paying for a B66 for short distances, you will likely outgrow the bike, and once you go to a more aggressive 'lean forward' stance, the B66 will be a hindrance.

I used the Serfas Rx 921V for about a year, as I moved from 4 miles to 30 miles rides. The I got the B17 because the Serfas was getting really hot (the gel) after about 20 miles. The B17 was great, but I wanted a bit of springiness going around the patched up Houston asphalt roads. I didn't get it...

However, the tan Brooks Flyer with matching Brooks handlebar tape make my steel olive color Novara Randonee look special
Old 08-24-18, 04:36 PM
DaveYuhas

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
DaveYuhas, what type of bike are you riding? Upright comfort bike? Touring bike with drop bars? Sport bike with drop bars? Mountain bike?
A hybrid - Trek FX 2. It has flat handlebars.
Old 08-24-18, 05:41 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveYuhas
A hybrid - Trek FX 2. It has flat handlebars.
I'm currently riding a Trek DS 2. No special seat, but I ride with padded shorts or riding pants. Give them a try, I'm recovering from a mishap at the end of April (not on the Trek) and did 17+ miles today, tired, but my butt's not complaining.
Old 08-25-18, 01:58 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
My Talus came with a sprung Avenir that I swapped out for a Serfas competition seat..that made that bike just flat-out MEAN. Finally this year I put a sprung Serfas on it. And I might put a sprung seat on my F2000, but I've gotta get the shifters sorted out before I do that.
Old 08-25-18, 06:00 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
I am riding a Brooks Flyer (a sprung B17). It replaced an unsprung B17.

I weigh north of 260#.

The springs are so stiff, they do not make any difference, I can barely tell they are there.

In the early days you want to ride more upright (probably need a hybrid or other 'relaxed geometry' bike). A wide saddle (like a B66) will serve you better until you start riding 15+ miles. I am not sure that it is worth paying for a B66 for short distances, you will likely outgrow the bike, and once you go to a more aggressive 'lean forward' stance, the B66 will be a hindrance.

I used the Serfas Rx 921V for about a year, as I moved from 4 miles to 30 miles rides. The I got the B17 because the Serfas was getting really hot (the gel) after about 20 miles. The B17 was great, but I wanted a bit of springiness going around the patched up Houston asphalt roads. I didn't get it...

However, the tan Brooks Flyer with matching Brooks handlebar tape make my steel olive color Novara Randonee look special

I put in 2k miles on a Brooks Flyer. Never got the payoff. It's a beautiful, cruel thing. Antique leather, hand hammered copper rivets, and ass pain all go together.
Using a Selle Italia now. While it's not total butt Nirvana it's much better.
Old 08-25-18, 07:30 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
I put in 2k miles on a Brooks Flyer. Never got the payoff. It's a beautiful, cruel thing. Antique leather, hand hammered copper rivets, and ass pain all go together.
Using a Selle Italia now. While it's not total butt Nirvana it's much better.
Don't get me wrong. The Brooks B17, or the Flyer, are very comfortable saddles for me. I just hoped to lessen the shock when I hit the numerous anomalies while riding around Houston.

The verdict is that a Flyer will not isolate you from the road shocks any more than the unsprung B17. However, both saddles are comfortable, especially after they were broken in (about 40 mi. for the B17, a little more for the Flyer)
Old 08-26-18, 01:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Just got "back in the saddle" after 35 years. My butt is killing me after a few short rides of no more than 3 miles. I've read that a sprung saddle would help greatly.
A sprung saddle might help on road jolt but not with straight pressure.

For straight pressure: be sure you fit your bike, with your weight suspended among your seat, hands and pedals; lift yourself off your saddle for some pedal strokes every so often, and in general over bumps and holes; wear seam-free bottoms; try some cycling specialty low friction (chamois) shorts; try some cycling specialty padded (foam or gel) shorts or undershorts. And understand it takes time and gets better.

Saddles have been the most swapped-out component on bicycles for ~125 years. What one rider finds excruciating another will declare nirvana. Most shops have a bin of take-offs. Saddles I've seen recommended by multiple posters here on Bike Forums include the Ergon Evo Gel, SQLabs 610 and the WTB Volt. YMMV.

For traditional leather sprung saddles, there's the Brooks 66, Gyes GS14, Lepper Concorde 800 and Persons Apollo (among many others). There are also suspension seat posts from numerous manufacturers in a spread of price points.

Last edited by tcs; 08-26-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-15-18, 01:09 AM
nios2

Bikes: XDS CT430

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still sore

My wife has a brooks leather, sprung saddle on her bike and still gets a sore bum. I have had a ride on it and cannot feel the springs move at all. A spongy seat post might be a better idea.
Old 12-01-18, 02:07 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Yep. I have a sprung Electra saddle on a suspension seatpost on my trike.
Old 12-01-18, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post* under an un sprung saddle..

* Includes several densities of elastomer blocks , chosen for your weight .
that way the suspension is weight adjusted..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-01-18 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 02:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

back on

Just got "back in the saddle" after 35 years. My butt is killing me after a few short rides of no more than 3 miles. I've read that a sprung saddle would help greatly. What do you think?

Thanks.

Dave
you may transition to a gel comfort saddle .
springs wont make the hard leather feel any less firm..

once used to being back on the bike, then shop for a different saddle ..

multi-month tours* on un sprung Brooks Team Pro ,
wearing un padded but lined bike shorts .

*88, 91,(& my 50th year) , 97..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-01-18 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 06:07 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I have a B66 (or is it a 67) on a Raleigh Superbe and a Flyer on an '84 Trek 400. Planning to get the B17 for my old Giant OCR3. I think maybe the Flyer flexes now and again?
Old 12-19-18, 07:10 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Hybrids are a curious thing. They appeal to us because they are not upright old man things, but are not bent over drag your nose on the ground go faster things. What saddle works with an "in between" body position? Logic seems to say an in between size saddle, but no, that is not always the case. Go to a shop that is willing to move saddles around and let you ride them for an hour at a time. You will find something that works.

As for me on my go faster bike I use Brooks Pro or Sella Italia Turbo. On my cruiser it is the Cloud 9 saddle. Works very well and has springs! The mountain bike has an "in between" size and it works well. It is an old specialized Body Geometry saddle, original model. Body position is just about the same as a hybrid. Used to have a Brooks Flyer with springs on it, but found I needed more setback and the rails were too short to allow it.
Old 12-20-18, 09:47 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I run a Brooks Flyer Imperial (with the center cut-out) on my Trek DS3. I also run a higher stem and 50mm riser bars to help with shoulder and cervical vertebrae issues. I've had the bike for two full seasons. The first, I used the stock saddle for half and a Selle Italia Gel Flow saddle for the other half. Both were uncomfortable after 12-15 miles, because they didn't fit my sit bones properly. I've been using the Brooks this year and it's been excellent right out of the box. I will say that I tend to bounce when doing higher cadences, but my butt still stays comfortable. I've done 30 miles without issues.