Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

RipCurrent S Fat Tire E-Bike or CrossCurrent X Commuter Electric Bike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

RipCurrent S Fat Tire E-Bike or CrossCurrent X Commuter Electric Bike

Old 07-11-19, 10:26 AM
crilex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question RipCurrent S Fat Tire E-Bike or CrossCurrent X Commuter Electric Bike

I'm curious as in which bike would you guys be tempted to get between the two and why.

Pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.

I'll like to hear opinions from fat tire bikes owners and regular commuters bikes. Both bikes have the same price value and I can't really decide which one should I get.

juicedbikes.com

1) RipCurrent S Fat Tire E-Bike
2) CrossCurrent X Commuter Electric Bike

Sorry I wish I can put the links in the description, however it appears that I'm not allowed yet: "You are not allowed to post URLs or IMAGES until you have at least 10 posts"

I count on your feedback. Thank you so much!
Old 07-11-19, 02:48 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
You have 10 posts.

A lot depends on where you reside. In the "OC", roads are good, so IMO no reason for fat tires (unless you're styling). There may be places with poor road conditions where the benefits of fatter tires (extra cushion and traction) would be realized.
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-11-19, 04:15 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
There are few if any juiced bikes owners on this forum. Facebook owners groups will have many more users with direct experience.
Likes For radroad:
Old 07-12-19, 09:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
You have several "this or that" questions posted. We can give you a lot better advice if you explain what you want the ebike to do, eg. commuting, trails, etc.

As far as the ones you posted, I am no fan of hub drives as they do not allow you to use the power of the motor through the gears.
Old 07-12-19, 04:51 PM
Rick

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
As far as the ones you posted, I am no fan of hub drives as they do not allow you to use the power of the motor through the gears.
I am planning on putting a motor kit on a cargo bike. My problem with add on mid drives is they have a very cheap low magnet cadence pedal assist system. I read on endless sphere that you can use the grin phase runner motor controller and hook up a different cadence sensor. If you hook up the new cadence sensor to the cycle annalist you can make it use the new cadence sensor. Grinn has a small 24 pole that might work and even the 12 pole sensors would be an improvement over what I heard is a 6 pole in the bafang bb motor kits. I want at least basic pedal assist and from what you and some others have implied is starting from a stop on these bafang mid drives is not responsive ennough.
Old 07-12-19, 07:09 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by Rick
I am planning on putting a motor kit on a cargo bike. My problem with add on mid drives is they have a very cheap low magnet cadence pedal assist system.
What you are describing is how the BaFeng BBSx series work. The TDS02 series use a torque sensor and feel much more natural when riding. I have both.
Old 07-12-19, 07:19 PM
Rick

What you are describing is how the BaFeng BBSx series work. The TDS02 series use a torque sensor and feel much more natural when riding. I have both.
Is the TDS02 going to be as dependable as the BaFeng. You stated on a different post that you were having a problem with the TDS02.
Old 07-12-19, 08:09 PM
Robert C

Originally Posted by Rick
Is the TDS02 going to be as dependable as the BaFeng. You stated on a different post that you were having a problem with the TDS02.
The bad news is, I don't know. It has thrown some error codes at me. Right now my Daughter says it isn't working at all. However, it will be a couple of weeks until I get home to see what is wrong.
Old 07-12-19, 09:36 PM
Rick

The bad news is, I don't know. It has thrown some error codes at me. Right now my Daughter says it isn't working at all. However, it will be a couple of weeks until I get home to see what is wrong.
Please let me know when you find out the problem. I have read allot about it and it appears to be the only add on mid drive that has a good working torque sensor.
I may purchase the bbhsd motor only and by the Grinn equipment for the rest of the kit. I will use a separate cadence sensor and hook it to the cycle annalist. I do not want a throttle and will run it at 750 or below watts. I want the durability of the larger motor If I buy a BaFeng.
Old 07-13-19, 09:55 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I have a fatbike as well as bikes with 1.75" and 2" tires. All are electric.

Bottom line, I prefer riding my other bikes.The fatbike is mainly for looks, I don't need that.
Old 07-14-19, 02:49 PM
social suicide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have a rip current. I ride a lot of desert 2 tracks and jeep roads, also a lot of pavement getting out of town. I'm pretty sure I could get by with a 3" 650b set up in the sand. The bike is too low quality for gnarly single track(fork). The motor makes up for any weight from fatter tires. Enjoy whichever you decide on!