Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ebike Riders get as much exercise as analog bike riders

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ebike Riders get as much exercise as analog bike riders

Old 09-06-19, 03:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Has anyone actually talked with multiple people riding fast e-bikes and heard they are brand new to bikes or is this just some "fear" fantasy?

...I tried once, but all I got was , "Out of my way, man !"
Old 09-06-19, 05:01 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I tried once, but all I got was , "Out of my way, man !"
Well I would really find it interesting to see how many e-bike riders are new to biking. My suspicion is not many but I've no real evidence, any more than those who don't like e-bikes have evidence that there are all these out of control ebikers out there.
Old 09-06-19, 05:04 PM
linberl

...everyone in the church thinks that the guy who doesn't genuflect is just trolling.
Funny, but if you go to a church you know you are supposed to genuflect and if you're not going to do it, you shouldn't be there in the first place. You don't walk into a vegetarian restaurant and demand pork ribs, either.
Old 09-06-19, 05:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Well I would really find it interesting to see how many e-bike riders are new to biking. My suspicion is not many but I've no real evidence, any more than those who don't like e-bikes have evidence that there are all these out of control ebikers out there.
...try the Google machine sometime. It's really a modern miracle....like e-bikes.

Electric Bicycle Fatalities & Injuries Are Rising

The answer varies somewhat around the world. In the Netherlands, the study shows that it’s mostly older male cyclists who are ending up in the hospital or worse. 31 of 38 fatalities in the study were men over 65. The study’s authors point to several factors which combine to cause issues. The increased speed of the electric bicycles vs pedal bikes in the same age cohort suggests that reduced time to react combined with slower reaction times was a factor. The increased weight of the bikes combined with diminished muscle tone was considered a concern. And that it was men not women who were the very large majority indicated a risk perception difference, likely due to great diminishment of physical capability for men vs women....

There are some commonalities that emerge among the various studies and reports from around the world. The first is that electric bicycles are both heavier and travel faster, making them more dangerous to both their riders and to pedestrians unlucky enough to be hit by them. This can be most clearly understood by looking at the formula for the energy of impacts:

F = (0.5 * m * v^2) ÷ d
Old 09-06-19, 05:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Funny, but if you go to a church you know you are supposed to genuflect and if you're not going to do it, you shouldn't be there in the first place. You don't walk into a vegetarian restaurant and demand pork ribs, either.
...every church I've ever entered was pretty open to visitors. Except, for some strange reason, the Church of the E-bike. Apparently, they feel like people are picking on them, so they are suspicious of strangers.
Old 09-06-19, 05:56 PM
linberl

...try the Google machine sometime. It's really a modern miracle....like e-bikes.

Older male cyclists - mid life crises - same guys who go buy sports cars to prove their manhood. They're not commuters or folks who use ebikes for transportation - they are weekend warriors with delusions of grandeur. Not at all representative of e bike riders. Where I ride it is parents with kids on cargo bikes, commuters, and older couples riding gently along. Probably drunk cyclists in Netherlands, lol.
Old 09-06-19, 05:57 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Electric bicycles are especially dominant among the old, as they no longer have the physical capacity to bicycle themselves due to failing health. However, electric bicycles are also heavier and move faster than the bicycles they used to ride. Once again, physics does not favor this equation. There are a three key points to attend to. First is that in general, human reaction times get worse as we age, although this is both highly variable and somewhat trainable. If two riders see something ahead of them on the road such as a pothole, the older one will react somewhat more slowly by braking or swerving. The second is that with higher velocity on an electric bike, there is less time before you reach the obstacle. That combination alone is a challenge. But the next one is the kicker. As with impacts, braking is a exponentially related to velocity, not linearly. That means that as you travel more quickly, it can take a lot longer to slow down, and that slowing mostly occurs at the end of the braking cycle, i.e. it takes a lot less time to slow from 15 kph to 0 kph, than from 25 kph to 15 kph. The weight of an electric bicycle has one last impact. They are a little less nimble, in general, than lighter non-electric bikes. It takes more muscle and technique to swerve or bunnyhop one, one of which usually diminishes with age.
...same link as above. I don't think you honestly realize what a danger you present to yourself and the people in your immediate vicinity. When and if you do crash (and you shouldn't get on a bicycle unless you are prepared to crash), you'll be filled with regret. Or maybe you'll be full of explanations about how it was the other guy's fault. Regardless, the damage will be done.
Old 09-06-19, 05:57 PM
linberl

...every church I've ever entered was pretty open to visitors. Except, for some strange reason, the Church of the E-bike. Apparently, they feel like people are picking on them, so they are suspicious of strangers.
You're like an atheist visiting a church, lol. You can put your google comment where the sun doesn't shine. Your snark isn't appreciated, so I will now stop responding to you rather than fill the thread further.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-06-19, 06:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
It's just rude to walk into someone's house and take a dump on the floor. This is the ebike section, let them preach to the choir. If claims like this were made in General, I'd probably have a lot to say. As it is, they mostly stay here and don't stir stuff up, let them be. If there is delusion, so what? They aren't taking anyone's KOM or competing in your weekly crit.
Old 09-06-19, 07:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's just rude to walk into someone's house and take a dump on the floor. This is the ebike section, let them preach to the choir. If claims like this were made in General, I'd probably have a lot to say. As it is, they mostly stay here and don't stir stuff up, let them be. If there is delusion, so what? They aren't taking anyone's KOM or competing in your weekly crit.
...why ? This is a sub forum of a public bicycle forum. In this case, it's populated by people with an interest in e-bikes. I have an interst in e-bikes, and the people who ride them. I think a lot of them are dangerous to me personally, and where better to preach the message, "Slow the **** down, because many of you don't have the judgement or experience to be riding this fast" ? This is where the e-bikers post and read....if I deliver that message in the fixed gear forum, it will get moved anyway.

What on earth is wrong with telling people who ride these things to consider speed as a factor, and to stop kidding themselves about why they want to ride them ?

By simply ignoring them and not "intruding", (by your definition,) they continue in this delusional behavior. If it were not of immediate impact in my life, you're absolutely correct. IDK about wherever you live, but these guys where I live are becoming increasingly problematic. Maybe I'm not going to change any minds in here, but it's the only place available to me where I can address the shared delusion directly, factually, and thus far very politely.

If I wanted to take a crap on the floor, you'd know it immediately.
Old 09-06-19, 08:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

You're like an atheist visiting a church, lol. You can put your google comment where the sun doesn't shine. Your snark isn't appreciated, so I will now stop responding to you rather than fill the thread further.
...My Google link was filled with facts, numbers and physics. I can see where it might be inconvenient for you, because you prefer speculation and you'r'e very good at it. Good luck on your e-bike. With a son who rides 20 mph and a bum knee, I put you in that older man demographic. So statistically, you're gonna need it.
Old 09-06-19, 08:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
I'm gone
Old 09-06-19, 08:40 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
He's a troll.
Likes For fly135:
Old 09-06-19, 10:28 PM
linberl

...My Google link was filled with facts, numbers and physics. I can see where it might be inconvenient for you, because you prefer speculation and you'r'e very good at it. Good luck on your e-bike. With a son who rides 20 mph and a bum knee, I put you in that older man demographic. So statistically, you're gonna need it.
Blocked.
Old 09-12-19, 04:40 PM
topspeedster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on how much exercise you want. If you want to get a workout, then going purely manual is ideal; if you ride for twenty miles without engine assistance but are tired by now, you can switch to only throttle and enjoy an easy ride going home.
Old 09-15-19, 03:51 PM
Kspeed888

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not for me.. the speed is too addicting!!! I have my PAS on high and cruise around 25-30mph.
Old 09-16-19, 08:58 AM
linberl

^^Your choice. Hopefully you get exercise in some other form or fashion to keep yourself healthy.
Old 09-16-19, 01:48 PM
buycycle

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting study, even if the conclusion seems counter-intuitive. I suppose a big factor is that a lot of eBikers are commuters who have an incentive to hop on the eBike day in and day out, when they might only use a standard bike more sparingly, opting for a car the rest of the time. Under that scenario, the eBiker definitely gets more physical exercise.
Likes For buycycle:
Old 09-19-19, 01:21 PM
Joey21

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have multiple bikes. I can tell you I love riding my ebike around town. I'm not riding my traditional pedal bike to town the hills between here and there are daunting. When I've done that I arrive at the town park spent. Its eight hilly miles both ways.

I don't mind taking my traditional bike to town and then riding around but that involves a car. The more interesting rides are really outside of town though. More to see but more hills.

If ebikers really get more exercise - its because they ride more often than regular folks who otherwise wouldn't ride. Like me when I've been without my ebike.

I doubt I get more exercise than the road bikers who do a 15 mile sprint on the country roads around here without a battery powered helper.

Something about the report seems like they were loose with the math or it is a study that serves some end.
Old 09-19-19, 02:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
To answer that question.....

The person I've seen on it in real life is the lady that's a sales person at the Trek store who does ride frequently and leads a Trek sponsored group ride. She was on it on the front of the sponsored group ride.

I was heading down a long shallow hill and passed the group. They were pretty "Fred" heavy on that group ride and she had them going down about 28 mph in her draft. Maxed out. Sorry, no other way to put it. When you wobble a few feet left and right in a line, you're a Fred.

Looking as I passed by, not a single one of those dudes I'd want on my wheel at 30mph on that road.

I still think 350w "could" be a lot. 350w matters as to weight and the aero position of the rider. 350w on a granny Dutch with a 300lb rider ain't nothing fast.

Around here, I can get up a 4% hill at about 20mph hitting 350w manually. In the flats, that's good for 30mph.

The other people I saw had the slightly slower but just as powerful MTB version of that Trek. A dad and his probably 120 lb 12 year old son cruising the greenway.

120 pound kid with maybe 150w of manual power max and then 350w on top......that seems like a bright idea.

I do agree, most commuters and users are going to be on a budget and likely only own something with much more modest output. But, I have seen them in the wild. Picking up parts recently at the shop heard them talking about they had sold like a dozen of them in a month.

FWIW, I climbed Mt. Mitchell at an average of only 150 to 170w when I was about 180 lbs. It wasn't pretty, it was slow, but it worked. Less than 200w.

You only need like 170w in the flat to go 20mph. 170w is plenty to ascend most American hills in "anywhere USA" town.

350w is more than double that. I dunno. Just seems like a bundle.
Old 09-20-19, 09:26 AM
linberl

170w isn't going to move a rider on a 40 or 50 lb e bike up any of the hills where I live (Bay Area). I had a dedicated 250w a few years ago - and it always ran the risk of overheating on even short hill climbs. It kills the bike to grind slowly on an ebike from what I've read, you want to be in the top % of power. And while I personally don't see any need for anything over 20mph, I don't think restricting them because of insufficient rider skill is valid. We let anyone with a basic drivers license drive a Porsche and other cars which can go well over 100 mph - there's no restriction - and it takes a LOT of skill to control a car at that kind of speed. I mean, since the posted speed limits in every state max out at 70 (more or less) why even make cars that can go 130mph? Considering there is less risk of hurting others with an e-bike than a speeding car, I just don't see the justification.
Old 09-24-19, 05:22 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
My take...

Well, I finally got my first e-bike. It is very much "entry level" and is made by a Chinese company called, Ziyoujiguang and the model is the T-18. Since I am now "officially" part of the Electric Bicycle community I can finally chime in.

As for the main topic whether e-bike riders get as much exercise as someone who rides a non assisted bike, I say "it depends". This afternoon, I went for a short hop around my neighborhood street using mainly PAS but also short moments of muscle power only and throttle only. I was surprised to get back to the house with some perspiration. Of course, since I live in Florida, even at this time of the year it is still warm. It will cool off in the following weeks.

You can get a decent workout depending on how you manage the power of your bike. My cheap little T-18 does not have variable pedal assist modes so either you use throttle, pedal on your own or you have most of the power available in PAS. The only way to have no assist at all is by turning off the power entirely. This is my very first e-bike but knowing me, it won't be my last and the next one will be either a more advanced Class 2 with multi power assist levels or a Class 1 which will also have a choice of power assist levels.

I have been undergoing challenges with my health for the past three years winding up in the hospital and nursing homes for extended stays but am now rehabilitating myself to become physically active again. In years past, I was quite active in a large bike club and rode believe it or not, recumbent bicycles most of the time. An e-bike will allow me to move back into cycling and even if I ride only using an assisted bicycle for the rest of my life, so be it. That said, I believe that in a not too distant future I should be able to ride a non assisted bike albeit for relatively short distances, nothing too intense.

So yes, I know I will get my exercise on an e-bike and don't intend to get spoiled by the throttle. But it's nice to know that it is there should I get fatigued for any reason (highly unlikely).

As a side note, I have noticed some controversy in this thread and the other one that has as it's main topic, "Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?" Life is too short to get entangled with arguments that do not contribute anything of value to the forum. It's perfectly OK to have differing opinions but not OK to be disrespectful. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Ride safe Everyone!

Last edited by edwong3; 09-24-19 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 01:27 PM
Dan1962

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am older and a friend let me use his ebike, it has fat tires and 9 speeds. It’s a really nice bike. I like the fat tires better because I feel they are safer. I use the bike for exercise and have had really good luck with it. Since it has PAS I keep the level on 1 and that max speed is 8 mph. I always pedal it from 12 to 16mph when I hit a hill it slows to around 9mph. I use the throttle only to start out from a stop. This works our really well. Since in my mind I have the electric I ride the bike more often than I ever had with my regular bike. Just make sure that you have the tires inflated all the way. In conclusion I ride more now and hardly use the electric with fat tires so I guess I’m getting a better workout. He wants his bike back so I guess I have to buy one now.
Old 10-01-19, 01:14 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Miles of smiles.

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
I guess to each their own. My ebikes are not "transitionals", but rather stand alone under their own merit as recreationally encouraging and helpful.

I went from analog to electric because I found my desire to ride a simple bike to be "dying" in a sense that, while I still wanted to enjoy a bike ride periodically, I wanted to do so without paying a huge price in pain or discomfort later. I'm not being held together by pins and wire, nor do I have any diseases nor am I on any medication at all. But being mid 60s with a long background of extreme sports means I feel quite entitled to enjoy my recreations as I see fit. And an analog bike no longer is part of that regime. My ebikes have turned out to be better partners in taking up some of the slack that previously had me electing not to ride - the hills, the headwind, the grind. You can't get away from them when you ride, and I had become tired of the analog bike's build that required me to do all the work myself, whether it wore me out mentally and/or physically, or put me on the ground walking instead. When it started to add injury to insult, and I realized it was no longer any fun at all, is when I began to look around for better.

Finding an active partner in the form of an electric bike was the answer. It kept me riding, put a smile back on my face, and gave my body time to build back up what the analog bike had taken away.

Do I want to go back to analog? Nope. Have zero desire to do so. I'm happier with an active partner that says "allow me to help" when I need it, yet defers to me and my decisions at all times. This is now my chosen wheeled method of recreation, and fitness. I do see my body and legs becoming stronger each day because the ebike is fun to ride. And I ride everyday because my ebike calls to me, encouraging me to hop aboard and enjoy a grand spin in a pleasant voice that the passive, disinterested analog bike never had...and never will.

I'm sticking with my ebike. Real world is this: I smile, enjoy the ride, and am going further and longer than ever before. I get the benefit of the gain without any unrelenting pain. No more analog for me. Those days are now long gone.
As rider friendly as your bike is, your bike needs a name.

My e-bike I named Juice. I forgot to plug in Juice the other day so I rode my legacy set of wheels.

I am healthy and like some people are gluten intolerant, I have stationary bike intolerance. I keep my distance from the stationary bikes at the YMCA.Out door air is much better for biking.
Old 10-01-19, 01:27 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Bike riding is increasing. Are accident rates per 100,000 increasing?

Most accidents with serious injury I see involve autos going the same direction. Texting and telephone calls are a huge threat to safety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.