Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Courtesy on the bike paths....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Courtesy on the bike paths....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
How the heck do two different bicyclists manage to hit pedals together? I thought that there feet would stop any pedal to pedal contact.

Cheers
Some pedals are wider than others.

Would feet hitting each other be any better? Serious question--I've never experienced either.
Old 08-26-19, 11:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've stopped riding on most of the multi-use paths in my region. That's because of the MULTI in Multi-use. There are dog walkers with dogs on really long very thin retractable leashes that are nearly invisible - the leash that is not the dog although the dog may be invisible on the opposite side of the trail from the dog's owner. Sometimes I've thought about putting a very sharp edged cutting device on the front of my bicycle ahead of the front wheel to cut through those dangerous leashes instead of wiping out when hitting them. Then there are the walkers meandering across the path as they keep in time to whatever it is they're listening to. They're like squirrels wandering every which way except straight ahead. Then there are the wannabe racer bicyclists who think a multi-use path is their own private bicycle speedway training track. I've seen cases where such riders have ridden another bicyclist right off the path or caused other bicyclists to crash trying to avoid them. That's not to mention the very close calls I've seen with fast bicyclists rounding a blind corner and just missing a stroller with an infant in it. I shudder to imagine what would happen if a bicyclist travelling at a high rate of speed were to strike a stroller with an infant in it.

Some bicyclists just don't think when they are on a MULTI-use path.

Cheers
Old 08-26-19, 11:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Some pedals are wider than others.

Would feet hitting each other be any better? Serious question--I've never experienced either.
I'd think that their handlebars would hit each other before heir feet did.

Cheers
Old 08-26-19, 12:12 PM
Rwmnotroadkill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree

Originally Posted by stephr1
I was curious what people's experience has been when being passed by, or otherwise encounter, other bikers while out on a ride. Specifically, I'd be interested when riding on a multi-use path (MUT/MUP).

I ride a mtn. bike and noticed most people on road bikes rarely ever let me know they are going to pass me (sometimes catch me by surprise And some of these riders pass fairly close at reasonable speeds (for that trail)...like if I turned my head at the moment of their passing, I might get hit by a shoulder I don't see many other mtn. bikes at all where I ride, so I don't have enuf data to draw any kind of inference from that.

Do others see similar behavior? Or do I have the unfortunate luck to cross paths with road bikers who exhibit bad behavior here in Silicon Valley?

Cheers....

"Ride smart. Ride safe. Always have a plan b, c, d, etc."
I have noticed the same thing
Even riders on the pad coming toward you will not even say good day to you most of the time
That’s the reason I like to ride back roads
Semi recluse
Old 08-26-19, 12:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I ride as fast or slow as conditions allow. I ride slow past people and ride faster when no one is around.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 08-26-19, 12:59 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
There are those who are thoughtless and rude and inconsiderate. And another bunch that are just: idiots.
A while back, i was on the path along the river into Boston. There's a guy riding along, his cell phone held up to his ear. One arm is in a cast.
Gosh, i wonder how come.
But to be fair, there are people in these places who aren't rude, and aren't idiots, plenty of them.
But the ones that are REALLy stick out.
Old 08-26-19, 01:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'd think that their handlebars would hit each other before heir feet did.

Cheers
Answer to the question "what's a theory you don't want to test?"

Cheers back at you!
Old 08-26-19, 01:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwmnotroadkill
Even riders on the pad coming toward you will not even say good day to you most of the time
Thank God for small miracles.
Old 08-26-19, 01:09 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thank God for small miracles.
Which one? There are thousands....
Old 08-26-19, 01:09 PM
Chasboy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
More than enough accounts of rudeness and entitlement here to fill a book. I walk by well behaved dog on a MUP in a public park. I truly don’t understand how hard it is to say “on your left’ or any other type of warning. Especially peeving are the jerks who are on virtually silent bikes who are suddenly on your side and then are annoyed if you are surprised by them.
When I started skiing, and later when I joined a bike club I was taught certain ski/riding courtesies. People were not built with rear view mirrors in their heads, and if overtaking ANYONE, its the overtaker’s responsibility to warn them. Period.
Likes For Chasboy:
Old 08-26-19, 01:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Which one? There are thousands....
The miracle I quoted. Thought that was obvious. Classic BF mistake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-19, 02:05 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=stephr1;21085581]I was curious what people's experience has been when being passed by, or otherwise encounter, other bikers while out on a ride. Specifically, I'd be interested when riding on a multi-use path (MUT/MUP).

I'm glad I don't encounter BIKERS on the trails I ride - that would be scary! I only see pedestrians and CYCLISTS. I'm half-kidding, but it is important to distinguish the two groups and the connotations that go with them, especially when you are talking about the obnoxiously loud Harleys, etc. here in the States!

To answer your question seriously, I think most people who pass have been, or try to be courteous, but unfortunately their/our call-outs often fall on headphoned/earplugged heads of folks who don't acknowledge our actions anyway.

...and the number of times some musically distracted jogger has done an abrupt U-turn in front of me (and nearly taken me out) has gotten ridiculous!
Old 08-26-19, 02:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
I ride a mtn. bike and noticed most people on road bikes rarely ever let me know they are going to pass me (sometimes catch me by surprise
If you’re staying to the right and holding your line, I can pass you safely without the need to announce my presence.

If you’re hogging the path or weaving about, I will not pass you until you’ve moved to the right. I will also ask you to move to your right first.

If you find it necessary to change your line, I hope you are checking over your left shoulder first. Kind of like when you’re driving a car.

Actually, just like when you are driving a car.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-26-19, 03:09 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
When I say "on your left" very high percentages of people apparently hear that as "move left" because that's what they generally do. So I stopped announcing for a while and just relied on slower speed and getting as far over as I can.
Agree. The average non- biking person is not used to “on your left”, and I think sometimes just catches “your left” and so will tend to either freeze (trying to remember which is their left?) or move left.
If there’s not enough room for a safe pass, I slow down, way down sometimes, and say “excuse me”. They look, they move over, and we both go on our merry way.
Likes For sunnyone:
Old 08-26-19, 03:13 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone
Agree. The average non- biking person is not used to “on your left”, and I think sometimes just catches “your left” and so will tend to either freeze (trying to remember which is their left?) or move left.
If there’s not enough room for a safe pass, I slow down, way down sometimes, and say “excuse me”. They look, they move over, and we both go on our merry way.
Yep, I use excuse me too. But, I usually reserve that for when their pet's leash is fully extended across the whole trail and "coming around" hasn't done the trick.
Old 08-26-19, 03:35 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks (again) to all who have shared their experiences. It's both a relief, and not such a good thing, that my experience isn't unique to Silicon Valley (interestingly, I had an avid road cycling nephew (OK. He's not a "biker" come visit from So. Cal with his bike and we did some light riding. He commented that the people here, in general, were not very friendly. No "'mornings" or "Hi!"s or anything like that. And he lives and rides in north Orange County where he says people are more friendly).

I still use "bike on your left!" often, but have experienced the same problems with people either moving left into my passing lane or turning to see what is happening behind them and shift their bodies almost into harm's way. I'm starting to announce "bike!" only enuf in advance, and then wait to see which way people move, if they move at all, before I actually pass. Not sure there is any foolproof announcement to ensure a safe passing, so I do try to do so with caution. Still.....

On my Fri. ride I got off the paved path onto a kind of dirt/gravel detour for ~150 yds. As I came up to rejoin the paved path, I looked to my left and thought I didn't see anyone. As soon as I was completely back on the path, a road cyclist (that I hadn't noticed) swerved to get around me. My bad for not chking more carefully, but this guy was moving at a fairly good pace, didn't announce himself, was dressed in black shirt and black shorts, came out of a shadowed area (lots of trees and tall bushes and sun was just barely up) and had no lights on his bike, flashing or otherwise. Of course, if he had hit me, it would have been my fault, but still.....

@terrymorse

You and I are neighbors (tho, I doubt we'd ever cross paths on bikes) and the MUP I use is the Stevens Creek Trail. I typically stay in the middle of my lane (most of the trail has a dividing line) and shift to the right when space is available or when I hear a bell or an announcement (or if I happen to actually hear a bike coming up behind me). I will also do something with my left hand (raise fingers or lift my hand) to signal to the cyclist I know he/she is passing.
Old 08-26-19, 04:54 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Safer is subjective - I've never been hit by a car on the MUP, or by objects thrown by a car driver.
I've never been hit by a car on the roads, or had objects thrown at me from a car on the roads.
Old 08-26-19, 05:17 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I've never been hit by a car on the roads, or had objects thrown at me from a car on the roads.
Good. It sucks. I hope you never do.
Old 08-26-19, 05:29 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by render ranger
Another complaint. Color me surprised!

Surely there's a complaint posted somewhere (by a dude in all black on a 700c bike) about the inattentive person on a mountain bike that merged onto the MUP without looking last Friday. Right?

Speaking of strobes on MUPs, here's some light reading for you:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...bes-trail.html
And yet another critical and judgemental posting that contributes nothing to the dialog....color me NOT surprised.

Not that I need to justify sh*t to you....if I were truly complaining I'd be b*tching and moaning how horrible other people are that I encounter on the route I ride. Apparently you're unable to discern the differences between sharing (common) experiences/observations and complaining.

You've become not worth the time it took me to write this response. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Have a great day....
Old 08-26-19, 05:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone
Which is why "bells" should be used -- and required by law in some municipalities -- instead. They're instantly recognized and universally understood. And if done properly, can signal your approach well in advance so as not to startle anyone or cause any misunderstanding.

This solution was figured out a long time ago, and works best. There is no need to try and reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-26-19, 05:51 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Courtesy on the bike paths

We have the same issues here in Melbourne, Australia.

The wannabees on road bikes are referred to as Tour de Path riders. Most do not have/use bells.

However if a walker with earphones doesn't respond to a bell or call (I prefer "bike behind") (calling on your left or right in our case can be confusing) so if all else fails I deploy the Airzound - works every time!

Mike Ayling
Old 08-26-19, 06:36 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I ride about how I drive a car. Carefully like everyone is an idiot around me. I use my bell when coming up on someone and my rear view mirror to check if there is cars/bikes behind me. Rarely do they sneak up on me because I am watching behind as well as in front. But that said I don't usually ride in crowded conditions. And well only hit 20 mph on a downhill slope. LOL Now if I come upon a person with earbuds in or not paying much attention I SLOW down and approach like they are insane and can switch directions at any second. And give them a rather wide berth. So far it has done me good, rather be a few minutes slower and get there than to wreck and risk a visit to the ER. A rear view mirror checked often can really save you from those heart attack moments. But I think riding spooky horses for so many years has really taught me to watch out for bug a boos. LOL
Old 08-26-19, 06:44 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I ride a fixed gear bike on a multi-purpose trail. There are bike riders of all styles, ages and ability, there are kids on training wheels and parents pulling kids behind them, joggers, roller-bladers, e-scooters and more.
I use a loud bell and ding it whenever I am passing someone. I love the bell. I don't have to shout, 'On your left!" anymore.
Old 08-26-19, 06:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Just because you can find a few anomalies among 7 billion people in the world does not make a statement untrue. I've seen people that don't remember their own name. But even small children can recognize a bike bell and know what to do.

Instead of being the naysayer trying to dispel logic and good sense, why don't you try the experiment. If you don't get 100% recognition that one person who can't recognize a bike bell is likely an idiot or have lived all his life in a cave on a desert island.
Old 08-26-19, 08:10 PM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Just this eve I was riding on a MUP when I approached a kid about 12, who was riding in the same direction, a bit all over the left side lane. I slowed, rang a bell, the kid looked over his shoulder and clearly decided to hold his line on the left. I saw another rider approaching quickly from the opposite direction, still about 40 meters away...
So, I got off the path entirely, riding on the grass (there was room). The oncoming cyclist saw this, slowed a bit, still quick enough, and right away took the right lane and passed by safely. No accident, no words spoken, no conflict, we all carried on.

Too many cyclists are into their own hard ride on the MUPs, maybe should rather be on the road.
In this thread, we're probably all mostly on the same page; situational awareness, respect, patience and courtesy.... all for the sake of being safe while enjoying the ride and, importantly, preventing accidents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.