Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing glue from Tubular rims

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 01:52 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts

I use Tufo Tape to adhere my tubular tires to the rim. When I remove the tire some of the tape and glue residue stick to the rim. In order to ensure an even surface it is best to remove all old glue residue. Removing the glue residue is not easy. I've tried acetone, Goof Off, and DW-40. Is there a better way to ensure all of the glue residue comes off on the tire? Is Tufo tape better to use on Tufo tires? Is tubular glue better?
Old 08-28-19, 02:14 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Heat gun and wood dowels
Old 08-28-19, 02:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
Is tubular glue better?
In many ways, yes... this is one of them.
Old 08-28-19, 09:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Glue build up over miles/years is one of the filters of being OK with sew ups. You accept the very slight radial offness of the tire, you take the time to elbow grease off the old glue AGAP, you decide that sew ups are for those who pay others to service their bike. Your choice. Andy
Old 08-29-19, 08:42 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
you take the time to elbow grease off the old glue AGAP, you decide that sew ups are for those who pay others to service their bike. Your choice. Andy
That's a BINGO
Old 08-29-19, 08:55 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
For an average Joe like myself I prefer Tubasti glue. Never really hardens and can take tire off easier. You just ad to it. I bought some used Campy rims and they had tires with tape.... half the tape sticks to the rim and the other half the tire.... then you have to take it all off..... acetone, alcohol....wire brush, my favorite tool for this job is a 40 year old worn down dull flatblade screwdriver.
Old 08-29-19, 11:59 AM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use Vittoria Mastik 1. It generally leaves an even, relatively smooth surface when removing the tire (I work the tire loose in a small area, then slip a 3/8" dowel between the tire and rim and roll the dowel). Applying new glue softens the old and makes it easy to mount the tire without perceptible radial runout. The times where I have found it necessary to remove the glue I use 3M Adhesive Remover. I don't use the spray; I use the liquid. I buy it at a local Sherwin Williams automotive paint store. Also available from Amazon. I roll up a red shop rag into a wick. I place it on the rim bed, then soak it with the product. Let sit 15-20 minutes. The glue can then be wiped up. Link to the Amazon site:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Pu...1226&s=gateway
Old 08-29-19, 03:02 PM
katyjcrow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
VM&P Naptha. Available from Home Depot. Works better than anything I’ve tried beside heat gun and old table knife. Recommend by Lenard Zinn and local wheel builder PSIMET Wheels. They glue a lot CX Wheels so they clean a lot of rims.
Old 08-29-19, 06:28 PM
hrdknox1

It seems like there still is no ease to removing glue from tubular rims, but tape leaves less glue to remove. There are a number of good suggestions of products and ways to remove the glue. I will give them a try.
Old 08-29-19, 08:36 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I use Tufo Tape to adhere my tubular tires to the rim. When I remove the tire some of the tape and glue residue stick to the rim. In order to ensure an even surface it is best to remove all old glue residue. Removing the glue residue is not easy. I've tried acetone, Goof Off, and DW-40. Is there a better way to ensure all of the glue residue comes off on the tire? Is Tufo tape better to use on Tufo tires? Is tubular glue better?
If only the tape manufacturer made something to remove the glue, but that's a utopian dream.
Old 08-30-19, 10:19 AM
hrdknox1

Ever puncture and ride home on a newly mounted tubular without glue or tape? I'd rather not carry a spare tire, but having to also carry glue or a roll of tape is a bit much. For this reason I only carry a can of Vittoria Pit Stop for punctures.
Old 08-30-19, 11:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Ever puncture and ride home on a newly mounted tubular without glue or tape? I'd rather not carry a spare tire, but having to also carry glue or a roll of tape is a bit much. For this reason I only carry a can of Vittoria Pit Stop for punctures.
No.
The spare should have already been mounted and rode some miles..... possibly a tire that has been repair. It will have residual glue on it and can be mounted with ease and confidence and will stick when inflated. At least with Tubasti this works for me. With tape while removing a punctured tire the tape comes off leaving some on the tire and some on the rim.
I not a racer so I am not gluing the tires down like a track or crit racer would.... which is somewhat of a permanent glue down and some report cutting the old tire off.
Carry one spare tire and the sewing kit. I've actually had 2 flats on a ride once, and had to sit by the side of the road and do some patching and sewing.
Old 08-30-19, 02:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
The times I have had to mount my pre-glued spare and ride home, I've been surprised at how well it adhered. I'm careful not to heat up the rim or take the corners too aggressively, but I had a big margin of safety in there.

I can't imagine carrying a spray can in my jersey pocket. And that stuff isn't going to seal anything bigger than a thorn puncture either.
Old 08-30-19, 06:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have ridden on a spare tubular after flatting on the road. As long as it had been previously mounted there really is no reason to not do it. Just don't slam into the corners expecting the tire to stay put!
Old 08-30-19, 07:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have ridden on a spare tubular after flatting on the road. As long as it had been previously mounted there really is no reason to not do it. Just don't slam into the corners expecting the tire to stay put!
Yup.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-31-19, 03:31 AM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
If only the tape manufacturer made something to remove the glue, but that's a utopian dream.
Probably no trick to make it, but transporting and having states allow you to sell it might be difficult.
Old 08-31-19, 08:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

This is an OK plan if you, don't ride more than 5 miles away from home and wear walking shoes; have a phone and a ready & willing spouse; are very lucky.

A tire mounted with no glue at all will work with the amount of caution that is cited for a pre-glued spare e.g. don't take corners hard.

Put one on a rim & try to get it off by hand- I guarantee that your thumbs will hurt. You might be able to push it off with very strong hands.

No one glues tires by the side of the road.
Old 08-31-19, 12:38 PM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tubulars expand inward when inflating them. That holds them tight to the rim bed and makes it safe to ride home as long as you don't do stupid things.
Old 09-01-19, 08:56 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Actually, Effetto Mariposa does sell a glue remover / rim cleaner. I've just picked up a tube of the cleaner and some Caronga tape for a pair of Vittoria Corsa tubs.

I'll clean the rims and then tape the new tubs in place - my first time using tape. Previously I used Panaracer glue.