Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Rowdy 16 bottom bracket?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 05:05 PM
Badzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Anybody know what sort of bottom bracket is on the Raleigh Rowdy 16 (kids bike)? It says two-piece cartridge, but is it square taper or what?
I have looked, but not found.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-19, 12:54 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a picture, if it helps...

Old 10-06-19, 05:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
So you looked for the BB and didn't find it?

Sure looks like a lot of kids bikes' tapered square cotterless cranks I've seen. But you have the stuff there, we don't have it here. Remove the plastic cap on the crank arm and see if there's a bolt/nut inside. If so remove that and the axle end will likely be visible. Andy
Old 10-06-19, 08:38 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is a stock photo. I must pay $250 (US) to find out. Even if it's not a square tapered spindle, I guess one can be swapped in. But if that sprocket is stuck on a square tapered spindle already there, that might help reduce my work. That's why I ask. It's not a Walmart bike, but apparently there are kids bikes much more expensive. So I don't know whether it's likely they would use a splined (or whatever it's called) bottom bracket.

According to the specs, it is "102mm 3pc Alloy, 28t w/Double Guard" (the prior version had a chain guard) so I guess the sprocket is separate from the crank. Do they stick sprockets on square tapered spindles, separate from the crank?

Thanks for the guess. That's better than mine.

Last edited by Badzilla; 10-07-19 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 09:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I doubt that the chainring (sprocket) is separate/removeable from the RH crank arm. That's a design usually reserved for mid to upper end adult bikes. The photo doesn't suggest otherwise.The "102mm" spec is most likely the Bb axle width as a 28T ring can't fit onto a 102mm bolt pattern (even if the photos showed bolts, which it doesn't). But then it also doesn't show any guards... So who knows.

It seems like you're considering a long distance purchase. Are there no bike dealers nearer to you that have decent bikes? Andy
Old 10-07-19, 12:28 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
99% of the time kids bikes have two types of bottom bracket, square taper or ones that fit ashtabula (or one-piece) cranks. Judging by the cover on the crank, this looks like a square taper. No way it's going to be a spline or anything else, IMHO.

Are you trying to figure out if you can change the front chainring size? My guess is that you'd need a whole new crankset for that.
Old 10-15-19, 06:51 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Are you trying to figure out if you can change the front chainring size?
I would like to know if that sprocket/chainring is welded to the crank, or if the sprocket and the crank are two separate pieces.

Thanks.

(It's not urgent now, but if that bike goes on sale I might buy it.)
Old 10-15-19, 07:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
102 is the crank length.

The ring is most likely swaged. It’s very unlikely you would change it. A 16” bike is good for three years if you buy it early or keep it too long. And it’s easier to change gearing at the rear, though you needn’t bother.

This is the bike that I had my eye on, but my wife jumped out ahead of me and got my kid a Bianchi 16er that is much more cruiser like. And he loves it, and it’s fine. Of my three kids, he’s not going to be the speed demon. Maybe his little sister, it’s looking that way but it’s too soon to tell.

If you think you kid wants to romp, get him that Spawn.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-15-19 at 07:23 PM.