Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2020 FX 3 vs FX 4

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2020 FX 3 vs FX 4

Old 10-18-19, 02:17 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatter Frank
Riding her, normal. Riding him, not going there.
I can understand that

However, I have always associated a machine with masculine qualities, vehicles at least.
Old 10-24-19, 11:28 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
i didn't need a nice thing to worry about.

nothing bad about the bike changed my mind.
I can somewhat sympathize. I live near a college area and bike thefts are basically a form of organized crime out here, according to my LBS. I had initially thought when I got into cycling in May that I'd have a bike that was my "go on errands" bike. But really anything over $400 is going to get stolen out here, let alone a four figure bike. Even the best locks will be compromised within minutes, if not seconds, if the thieves are pros. The only way to not get your bike stolen while it's locked up is to have a total beater bike, which is antithetical to the way I live (when I pick up a hobby or passion, I go all-in).

I ended up loving cycling so much, and it's given me a ton of health improvements in a scant five months (blood pressure numbers way down, lost 8 lbs and 1.5" off the fattest part of my waist) I had to come to the realization that I wasn't going to buy a beater bike for errands. If I had a house, vs. an apartment, and I had a room to house the beater bike I might reconsider. But in my apartment I barely have room for the bikes I have. I had to rewire my expectations of the role cycling would play in my life.

Now it's something I use to improve my health and push myself hard to get as fit as I can. I don't even bring locks with me on my rides, because if I'm riding, I'm either on the bike or it's within arm's reach. That's how I avoid worrying about my "nice things" type bike.

Now normal wear and tear on the road...that's just the cost of doing business. If you're going to ride, you're going to roll over bumps, rocks, and possibly crash. That's just part of the deal. I'd rather be riding a nice bike and loving every minute of it, than riding a beater and not worrying about any damage that might occur, but not enjoying the ride either.
Old 01-12-20, 11:41 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i wen't back it, negotiated a little bit more off because, hey!, it was still there taking up space. and bought it again. got fenders for it this time. shoutout to Village Cycle Center in chicago. some running shoe and cyclist shops have the best customer service.
Old 01-17-20, 05:07 PM
denada

i love this bike. it took a moment to be sure it was worth giving up all the benefits of a steel craigslist commuter, but riding it is wonderful. i went almost all out in the luxury category and got fenders. with a backpack, i only curse not having a rack once every two months; isn't en enough to buy one. outfitted, the weight isn't that different than my 700.

it's so nice to ride. moves with a consistent, powerful glide in the desired direction.

i'm accumulating. the 700 is listed on marketplace and craigslist, but i figure it won't go easy in january.

Last edited by denada; 01-17-20 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 09:35 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Once you resign yourself to the fact that a bike is a tool to be used for it's intended purpose, dings and scratches will bother you less and less. Look at them as souvenirs of a life lived to the fullest, just like scars!

Cheers.
Old 01-21-20, 09:48 AM
denada

Originally Posted by camjr
a bike is a tool to be used for it's intended purpose
i hear that said on this forum from time to time. a bike is more like a vehicle than a tool. a reasonable level of cosmetic upkeep is good for a vehicle. while i haven't read any peer reviewed studies on the subject, i've heard that if you keep your vehicle looking nice, you tend to be more attuned to its overall condition -- including its mechanical condition. all within reason, of course. i don't wipe dirt off my hammer with a baby wipe; i don't use leather cleaner on by bicycle saddle; i don't let peoples' dogs into my apartment because my couch is made-to-order from bright red italian leather. i find these levels of care appropriate to their respective objects.

edit:
i realized that third example does not follow the formula of the preceding two. how about ... i don't make peoples' children put a cloth down before sitting on my couch. that's purely illustrative, of course; the couch is off limits to children.

Last edited by denada; 01-21-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-21-20, 10:21 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

i hear that said on this forum from time to time. a bike is more like a vehicle than a tool. a reasonable level of cosmetic upkeep is good for a vehicle. while i haven't read any peer reviewed studies on the subject, i've heard that if you keep your vehicle looking nice, you tend to be more attuned to its overall condition -- including its mechanical condition. all within reason, of course. i don't wipe dirt off my hammer with a baby wipe; i don't use leather cleaner on by bicycle saddle; i don't let peoples' dogs into my apartment because my couch is made-to-order from bright red italian leather. i find these levels of care appropriate to their respective objects.

edit:
i realized that third example does not follow the formula of the preceding two. how about ... i don't make peoples' children put a cloth down before sitting on my couch. that's purely illustrative, of course; the couch is off limits to children.
Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to abuse my things. My 2013 Fuji Absolute hybrid may still look brand new from 10 feet away, but get closer and there are a few scratches. I don't fret over them. Now, this pic of my red leather couch might cause you to have a stroke. Life happens. Love life, not things.

Cheers!
Old 01-21-20, 01:00 PM
denada

i notice how he's on your red couch, not mine. that's a good boy. or maybe a good girl.

jokes aside, i get what you're saying and agree. it's better to enjoy time riding a bike rather than waste time worrying about it getting scratched.

Last edited by denada; 01-21-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 01:46 PM
camjr

i notice how he's on your red couch, not mine. that's a good boy. or maybe a good girl.

jokes aside, i get what you're saying and agree. it's better to enjoy time riding a bike rather than waste time worrying about it getting scratched.
Old 02-01-20, 04:31 PM
tsduke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at these 2 bikes myself. I'm leaning towards the 4. I want to be able to go on long rides, but occasinaly hit trails and commute to work in nice weather. I like that the 4 is lighter and nicer components.

Any issues with the 4 off pavement? Not talking going crazy off road but gravel trails so I can still ride with my wife.
Old 02-01-20, 04:49 PM
denada

i ride on crushed gravel with my '19 fx 4 (exact same as the '20 except aw instead of r tires) no problem.

you ride them both? the weight difference is not a noticeable. with accessories added, my fx 4 weighs 30 pounds. but they ride different. the fx 4 is smoother ride with a more direct feel on road. they have different geometry. the fx 3 is more of an upright bike. i felt more locked into the ride on the fx 4. and i think i could notice a difference in the components, but that could be placebo.

the 2020 fx 3 blew me away until i tried the fx 4. they are both amazing. make sure you ride both before deciding.

Last edited by denada; 02-01-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 04:58 PM
tsduke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only tested the 2 and 3 so far. I like the 3 but I want to test a model 1 up from where my focus started because I don't want to buy a bike and in 3 months regret I didn't jump up a model. Weather hasn't cooperated when I'm able to go to a lbs with a 4 in stock which is 1 hour away. Messing with the 4 inside I think I like the geometry better on the 4, but need to ride it to be sure. Locally we only have Scheels with Trek and they don't intend to stock above the FX3. Our small trek lbs closed at the end of 2019. Hoping someone jumps in to bring it back to life.
Old 02-01-20, 05:02 PM
denada

interested to hear what you think when you get a chance. sucks you can't ride them back to back; you know, getting on the 3 and then immediately getting on the 4. still, a lot better than not getting to try it at all.

either way, you'll be getting an awesome bike. what's your wife ride? the fx 3 is certainly more of a social bike than the 4. what i mean by that has to do with how the 4 lets you lean in to the ride more, like a road bike.

Last edited by denada; 02-01-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 05:04 PM
tsduke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will report back. I can ride both at the lbs 1 hour away. Heck I think they had FX 2 through 6. When I was there the other day there was too much snow on the ground.
Old 02-01-20, 05:10 PM
denada

^nice. yeah, then that bike shop is definitely the place to make the decision. if i hadn't ridden the 3 and 4 one right after the other -- actually i think i might have ridden the 3, ridden the 4, hopped back on the the 3, and then the 4 again, to make sure i had a feel for the difference -- i probably would have gone with the 3. because they both feel so nice. though i think the difference is definitely there. i had no question about which i wanted after the test rides. but i always ride alone.

Last edited by denada; 02-01-20 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 05:13 PM
tsduke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should ask...is it hit or miss on discounts off msrp? That's kinda the vibe I'm getting from lbs's I've visited, but if I'm patient maybe a Trek spring sale will pop up.
Old 02-01-20, 05:18 PM
denada

i got the '19 fx 4 for $900 usd (plus tax). that was with negotiating. at the official trek store, there was zero room for negotiation. i think it being january helped me (less bike buyers in winter). as a few months earlier, the other shop that sold it for $900 wouldn't budge on their price either.

other posters might know more about when official sales are, if you can't get them to negotiate. again, at the official trek store, like the one that just said "Trek" on the sign, there was no negotiation. and you better believe i tried.

Last edited by denada; 02-01-20 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 05:34 PM
denada

if you like the fx 4 more, look for a '19. i checked very carefully before accepting it's the same is the '20. the only different is the '20 as the r1 tire and the '19 has the aw1 tire. and the '20 has the elite stem and the '19 has the legacy elite stem (both are blendr). after comparing the specs online, i asked to confirm. and it was the rep at the official trek store who admitted that those were the only two changes between the '19 and '20, those and a black stripe of paint and logo placement. and he didn't even have any '19s to sell me. in addition to comparing specs and asking the rep, i rode both. they are the same bike.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/compare/
^sometimes they use slightly different wording, but i went through each component with the rep and they're the same. for example the "tiagra rapidfire" is the marketing name for the tiagra 4700 (on shimano's website you'll see the part number for the rapidfire is the sl-4700). and on one they call the rear derailleur the 4700 and in the other they call it the rd-4700, obviously the same thing.

where as the '19 and '20 fx 3 are very different.

edit: actually, on the trek website they are both pictured with legacy elite stem. but maybe they just didn't have the new stem yet when they took the product pics. and to be honest the rep only mentioned the tires and logo placement. i added the bit about stem difference.

Last edited by denada; 02-01-20 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 05:38 PM
tsduke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cedar Rapids LBS told me there was very little difference as well, but I've not found any 19's yet.
Old 02-04-20, 12:58 PM
cloemans

Bikes: Zenith Calea CMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to replace my current bike (Zenith Calea CMP) and I'm between these two bikes as well:

Trek FX 3 Disc (2019) vs. Trek FX 4 (2019)

I've read carefully every post on this thread and it was very interesting.

Unfortunaly, here in my country there is no option to ride a bike before buying it. The far you can get is to seat at the store.

I'm 1,80 cm (5' 11") height. FX 4 is at the store on Medium Size. FX 3 is not but I can order it (L or M).

My impressions on the FX 4 was very good. Very nice materials, lightweight, solid. I'm 83 cm insame and I felt comfortable on the M size. But I know that the frame size on the FX 3 is smaller so in case I choose that one, it will be Large. In fact, the "Effective top tube" and "Head tube length" of FX 4 M is same size as FX 3 L. The only signifcative difference is seat tube and standover, which is larger in FX 3 L.

FX 4 costs 40 % more than FX 3. I use the bike 2-3 times a week, for normal fitness, nothing pro.

Any advice on which one to choose?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-20, 04:35 PM
denada

^they're both nice bikes. what do you dislike about the cmp? what surfaces do you ride on? if you're 5 11" and prefer the fx 4 in size medium, i'd think the fx 3 is better suited to your riding style.

any news, @tsduke?

Last edited by denada; 02-07-20 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-07-20, 07:33 PM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you get the fx 3, I would lean toward the large at your size as I’m 5’8 and 30” inseam and the medium fit me just a bit better than the large.
Old 02-07-20, 08:26 PM
cloemans

Bikes: Zenith Calea CMP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^they're both nice bikes. what do you dislike about the cmp? what surfaces do you ride on? if you're 5 11" and prefer the fx 4 in size medium, i'd think the fx 3 is better suited to your riding style.

any news, @tsduke?
Nothing wrong with the CMP, it’s a nice bike.
I’m just in the mood to buy a new one =).

I ride mostly in pavement and sometimes in unpaved streets.

FX3 has same front and rear derailleur (acera/alivio) than current Zenith bike.
Going with the FX4 would be an improvement with tiagra (I think).
Old 02-08-20, 03:59 PM
tsduke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

any news, @tsduke?
Local dealer bringing FX 4 in so I will get side by side, but testing only the FX 4 it just felt smoother, better. Not sure how to explain fully. I’m not sure the geometry felt largely different. Maybe a touch less cramped on the reach, further forward. While I’m going hybrid fitness because of lower back issues and to avoid a too aggressive forward geometry, I feel like the 3 does feel more compact, but maybe in my head. I’m 5’10” but a taller upper body. I’m borderline large for my inseam, but no way medium would work for torso. Most the measurements that differ from 3-4 aren’t different by much.

The 4 should be here early to mid weak.
Old 02-08-20, 07:17 PM
denada

interested to hear which you chose and why, tsduke. i agree the fx 4 is smoother.

i'm a short 5 10" and went with large. feeling cramped on a bike is horrible. i want the largest size where my feet can still touch standing over the top tube. my 700 multitrack is 21" and i preferred that to a 19" 720.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.