Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Superbe Pro shifting up to 28t or 30t

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 09:15 AM
Andiroo99
Brit Rider

Bikes: Mercian King of Mercia (1983), Balance XR-550 (1993), Surly Cross Check, 1948 Condor British steel lightweight.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi All

I want to see if I can get my great little Suntour Superbe Pro work with a bigger rear freewheel than the 26t max it seems it supports (see: SunTour Superbe derailleur (5300))

Any ideas if there is a way to get this to work with either a max size 28 or 30t rear cog on a freewheel?

Best

Arb
Old 10-20-19, 09:42 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...if you want lower gearing, you're way better off with a short cage rear derailleur adhering to the manufacturer's specs for it and just buying and installing at least one smaller chain ring. Assuming that's possible with whatever crank you have now.

Otherwise, it mostly involves fiddling around with rear wheel position in the dropouts, and being satisfied with rear shifting that is less than optimal in the back. Also you usually need a longer chain.
Old 10-20-19, 10:47 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Andiroo99
Hi All

I want to see if I can get my great little Suntour Superbe Pro work with a bigger rear freewheel than the 26t max it seems it supports (see: SunTour Superbe derailleur (5300))

Any ideas if there is a way to get this to work with either a max size 28 or 30t rear cog on a freewheel?

Best

Arb
23T is the largest cog it shows supporting.
26T TOTAL CAPACITY.
Look up Chain Wrap to educate yourself.

IF you really need bigger cogs, get a Shimano Tourney. Something "retro" enough to handle relatively wider chains & cogs with minimal rub.
Old 10-20-19, 11:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
A suntour cyclone GT RD is a fine derailleur that can handle a max cog of 32. They shift nice.

Some folks in C&V have used wolf tooth road link so that the RD can work with a larger cog in the rear; it won't change the capacity of the RD though.

Honestly just buy a quality long cage suntour RD if you want to stay vintage; otherwise get any of the older shimano MTB RDs.
Old 10-21-19, 07:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Trying to get the Superbe Pro to work with larger tooth counts is unlikely to give satisfactory shifting performance, lack sufficient chain wrap capacity, and may damage the derailleur. A proper long cage derailleur like the Cyclone GT or V-GT Luxe is a better approach.