Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lacing a 28 hole rim to a 36 hole hub.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-23-19, 02:40 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 113 Posts

Hello,

The co-op where I volunteer has a bunch of various sizes of 28 hole rims that they acquired when a local shop closed. Sadly, we don’t have hubs to match, but do have many good 36 hole hubs. I wonder if one could lace these up with 4 open holes on each side of the hub. Is there a risk? This would be a good project and a worthwhile use of these parts with minimal investment.

Cheers,

Van
Old 10-23-19, 02:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
How many different spoke lengths do you want beyond "normal"?

Typically, 28 hole rims tend to be above bottom feeder level. Maybe you could just sell them and avoid a LOT of HASSLE.
Old 10-23-19, 05:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hello,

The co-op where I volunteer has a bunch of various sizes of 28 hole rims that they acquired when a local shop closed. Sadly, we don’t have hubs to match, but do have many good 36 hole hubs. I wonder if one could lace these up with 4 open holes on each side of the hub. Is there a risk? This would be a good project and a worthwhile use of these parts with minimal investment.

Cheers,

Van
What rims are they? I agree with Bill, it would probably be best to find another home for them. If they were 27h center-drilled rims, you could do triplet lacing to 36h hubs, but that won't work here.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-23-19, 07:59 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hello,

Cheers,

Van
Yes, it can be done. I've built a few wheels that way. Essentially just using extra stuff I had laying around to make "a wheel" that could be used. And I did use the wheels quite a bit without any issues. Sheldon has a section on lacing wheels with rim-hub hole counts that don't match. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/special...tml#nine-seven

Dan
Old 10-23-19, 11:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yes, it can be done. I've built a few wheels that way. Essentially just using extra stuff I had laying around to make "a wheel" that could be used. And I did use the wheels quite a bit without any issues. Sheldon has a section on lacing wheels with rim-hub hole counts that don't match. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/special...tml#nine-seven

Dan
But how many people would buy a wheel like that, assembled at a Bike Co-op?
To many "IF"s regarding competency/wisdom of the build. Many are learning OTJ. Some haven't been learning that long.
Not to say quality work can't be done there and I'm sure much is. It's the doubt.
Old 10-24-19, 10:36 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just a few points of clarification. I wasn’t trying for a commercial product, just looking for a way to support the co-op’s “Earn-a-Bike” program and some of the other training & repair programs.

The Sheldon Brown web site has some good suggestions, but they seem to focus on radially sproking or low crosses which probably wouldn’t work for our applications. The rims came from specialty shop that focused on high end road & touring bikes, plus it had an eclectic inventory of vintage bikes & parts. Most likely they are better quality. I’ll check the inventory next week and see if they can be sold on EBay?

I discovered these this week when I was looking for a 32 hole rim for a personal wheel building project and found that the shop’s wheel building program had used all of the 32 & 36 hole rims from this group.

The co-op I referenced, The Northwest Hub in Salem, OR is actually a nonprofit community service organization that provides bicycle based training and transportation to the disadvantaged as well as transitional employment and training. It is also approved for vocational/technical education. It is supported with donations, repair work and sales of rebuilt/refurbished bikes. It also sells some new entry level bikes and new replacement parts. It has a competent salaried staff who insure that everything that goes out the door is safe and functional.

It does not compete with the local full service shops. In fact, they actually support us with things like “take-off” tires and some of their stale parts inventory.

Regards,

Van
Old 10-24-19, 11:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I never felt your motive was greed etc.
But you want to maximize $ in.
Do your research to see what brand/model they are.
That would have been helpful if you'd provided that first. You may have already had an "evaluation" by somebody familiar with them?
I think there is a good potential they have more worth sold as new? rims then something salvaged from an experiment that didn't sell.
Maybe a swap for rims you can use "properly"?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-24-19 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 03:55 AM
seb1466

Bikes: 20+ from 1990's steel & magnesium!, to modern day alloy and carbon. MTB, CX & road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built a set of single speed wheels a few years back using 36H front hub and 32H rear hub with some 24H rims. The front wheel laced radially missing every 3rd hole and for the rear wheel I used the 'crowsfoot' pattern missing every 4th hole. Spoke length is a little trickier to get right. Hope this shows that there are options available...
Old 11-02-19, 10:37 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Hi folks,

Well, your feedback generated some discussions as well as possible changes in direction. As Bill K stated, the rims are probably better quality. Most of the rims are 26” with some narrow aero and some box section. I didn’t check the labels, but they looked like good stuff. Four of the rims are Bontrager, labeled 28”. We didn’t research that application. The remaining few are 700c in a semi-aero design and appear to be midlevel models of familiar brands. We also found a few 32 hole 700c rims that we probably can find hubs for.

The management has no idea where these rims came from. They could have been stale inventory from the three local shops that we work with or from the two or three that have closed in the past few years. Needless to say, we don’t do a good job of tracking used parts inventory.

Our wheel master, a retired Mechanical Engineering Professor with a passion for strong, durable wheels, is checking with his at contacts area co-ops for available 28 hole hubs. The staff is still concerned about using these “low” spoke count wheels on MTBs. Most likely, we’ll put them on E-bay and use the funds to buy $8-10 alloy or Weinmann or Sun rims thrue our distributor.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

Van
Old 11-03-19, 12:41 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Several years back I had a pair of drum brake 36H hubs that I wanted to use with a 28H and a 32H rim. Built them up in a traditional cross pattern using 5-6 different spoke lengths. Entirely doable but very time consuming. Eventually they started suffering spoke failures at the nipple, due to me not considering the consequence of high-flange hubs, high cross numbers and the extra angle added by leaving some holes empty. I tore them down, filled the most misplaced holes in the hubs with aluminium solder, re-drilled and rebuilt. Worked fine from there.
If I were to do it again, I’d probably cut some rings out of sheet metal to go onto the hub flanges. Drill the inner edge of the rings for the existing hole pattern and the outer ring for the pattern I want. Then screw the adapter ring in place, and build like any high flange hub. Or do the fill-and-drill thing from the start.
Front rim brake wheels I’d probably build radial and call it good enough.