Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Starting points for Mt. Baldy ride

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 05:54 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all

Been a while since I've posted. Taking a few friends up Baldy in the coming weeks and looking for a good starting point. I've always started at Encanto Park in Duarte, but I've never cared for the 8 or so miles to and from GMR. Any feedback on Pioneer Park in Azusa or Finkbiner Park in Glendora as starting points? The only requirements is bathrooms and parking. Any other spots we should be considering?

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-09-21, 06:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i always use pioneer park in azusa for those morning assaults on gmr/grr to baldy village/lifts or up the 39 to crystal lake or dawson saddle.
bathroom open pretty early and cleaner than most public restrooms i've encountered when necessary. also, the stop & go convenience
store is like a block west if you forgot or need a power bar, water, snacks, etc. it's approx 5 miles from pioneer park to the base of gmr.
plenty of parking but i seem to remember there being street sweeping in the area (i always park on the west side of the park-sorry,
don't remember the day but i nearly always do these rides on mon or tues) so check the signage.

traffic between pioneer park and the base of gmr isn't too bad. busier now close to the park
with the addition of all the homes recently but you're quickly past that traffic circle. a little up and down on sierra madre blvd but nothing too major.
the sightlines are good, road is wide and not too many lights/stopsigns.

Last edited by diphthong; 11-09-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 07:47 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
People often park at Glendora High School on the weekends.

You can also park on GMR just northwest of Big Dalton Cyn Rd where the Little Dalton Spill Basin buttresses GMR. You will see a lot of vehicles parked there on the weekends. There is a bathroom at the equestrian center on GMR/Palm but it was closed due to Covid last time I was there several months ago,
Old 11-10-21, 02:58 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I have not found a park with bathrooms by GMR. I also found that equestrian center closed a month or two ago. The approach is gravel and the water in the fountain tastes bad (lack of use I guess).
Old 11-11-21, 02:04 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
1. If you want to climb Mt. Baldy Rd, I like this Vons parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/tZhoako15da6PKFb7). Vons has restrooms and almost any nutrition you want/need. You should technically be a customer if you park there, but there's always plenty of open parking spaces.
2. If you want to climb GMR, I like this Stater Bros. parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/DzvQyLtMrUK2soGo8). Same as above: restrooms, nutrition, customer parking, plenty of space.

Have a safe and awesome ride!
Old 11-11-21, 08:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If you are going to make a loop out of GMR-GRR-Mt Baldy Rd, park at San Dimas Canyon Park.
You will have plenty of free parking, shade, restrooms, water and can ride up into the canyon for extra credit.
https://parks.lacounty.gov/san-dimas...regional-park/

Originally Posted by robncircus
Hi all

Been a while since I've posted. Taking a few friends up Baldy in the coming weeks and looking for a good starting point. I've always started at Encanto Park in Duarte, but I've never cared for the 8 or so miles to and from GMR. Any feedback on Pioneer Park in Azusa or Finkbiner Park in Glendora as starting points? The only requirements is bathrooms and parking. Any other spots we should be considering?

Cheers

Rob