Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference with Ksyrium Elite vs. SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 11:12 AM
WhiskeySmack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at new wheels for Christmas and have researched the Ksyrium Elite and SL. From what I've seen there seems to be a 100 gram weight difference for the set and a much lower cost. Beyond that, what's the difference with these wheels? Are the SL's stiffer or stronger?

I have 2008 Bontrager Race wheels that came with my Madone and they have been sturdy but have a fair amount of flex when standing/starting up at streetlights.
Old 11-02-09, 12:59 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elites offer a better value - They are extremely top-notch in my book as a day player. I hit pot holes and jump curbs (on empty 3am streets) and have yet to need a truing in 5 months! I'm 210 pounds 5'11" and these felt more bomb proof than anything else I've used.
Old 11-02-09, 04:15 PM
WhiskeySmack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you got your Elites, what did you have prior? Did you notice a big difference in speed to get rolling? In the flex compared to your others?

I'm having a hard time figuring out where the line is where you get value from the upgrade but it doesn't turn into excess spending for something I wouldn't appreciate. I'm hoping I would notice a difference between the Bontrager Race wheels and the Elites. If I didn't, it would be a waste and I'd rather spend the money on the SL's. But then I look at the Elites vs. the SLs and at only a 100gram difference, I wonder if I'd even notice the difference.

Thanks
Old 11-02-09, 04:28 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They changed over the years so it depends what model you get. A 3oz diff, while probably not noticeable, is considered fairly significant in wheel world. I don't consider the SL worth the price bump but if you're upgrading from a decent wheel already you might. It just depends what you value.
Old 11-02-09, 04:29 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the Elites;lite and very sturdy. I have not ridden the Bontragers but I have owned the SL's and currently ride a set of 09 Elites. I can't tell a difference between the two. Lp
Old 11-02-09, 05:01 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my 09 elites, but if you can get the Sl's then go for it. If I had to purchase another set of midpriced clinchers again though, I would go customer. Get some XR-300 rims w/ White Industries or DT240 hubs w/ the proper spokes / spoke count for your weight and you are golden.
Old 11-02-09, 07:27 PM
bezlar

Bikes: Dolan ares, Dolan Hercules, Giant XTC, Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the sl premiums and love them. Very good climbing wheels.
Old 11-02-09, 08:29 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The real key here to consider is that the Elites for retail price might not be worth the upgrade for you, but if you can get a deal on them... I actually traded a single Aerospoke for the set and the Aerospoke cost $290 total... '08 Elites, but still very good - brand new condition w/ an Ultegra 6600. Im sure you can poke around and score something.

If not, then go with a custom build.... as good as the SLs are they aren't worth that particular upgrade cost....maybe sell your current set to offset a bit of the cost?
Old 11-02-09, 08:37 PM
rick1

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 09 - 10 Elites are down to 1550 in weight - pretty darn good. I believe the new SL's are 1485 if I'm not mistaken. I have over 3000 miles on my elites and no truing with lots of rough roads and pot holes along with my 185 pounds. Once a year I take apart the Freehub clean it out and relube it with Pedro's road rage as there's a nylon bushing in the hub that will wear out if you don't maintain it. Not really a big deal to do, here's a youtube link on the procedure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoBe...eature=related
Old 11-02-09, 08:39 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One is lighter than the other.

One costs more than the other.

Both are overpriced.
Old 11-02-09, 08:45 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd replace the bearings anyways with the Elites... plus be prepared to have loud engaged wheels
Old 11-02-09, 09:34 PM
WhiskeySmack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyciumX
I'd replace the bearings anyways with the Elites... plus be prepared to have loud engaged wheels
What would you replace the bearings with? Why are they loud?

A bit of a tangent, but related; If I get Elites or SLs, I'll need to buy a cassette to go with them. I currently ride Ultegra. Should I stick with Ultegra or move up to Dura Ace? Is it worth the difference? (Assuming it's okay to go Dura Ace on the cassette only) And should I consider a different sizing of gears on the cassette? My bike is outfitted as a compact and I live in Florida where I currently only use the big ring in the front and vary the back.
Old 11-03-09, 10:24 PM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Wow, the Ksyrium Elites sure went WAY DOWN in weight. My silver ones weigh 1829g. Anyone have an idea what year those were? The skewers were heavy 130g/pair boat anchors too.
Old 11-03-09, 10:38 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd upgrade them to ceramic bearings (about $90), but you can go with better ones than stock for around $40.

The Mavic hub has a loud engagement from the snappy pins hitting hard. I take it as a sign of safety, but some people don't like it. No more sneaking up on people while coasting...

I have never needed a reason to go with a cassette higher than Ultegra... maybe I don't know what magic lies with a Dura-Ace, but I'd go with an SRAM red cassette at that price range.
Old 11-04-09, 06:21 AM
rick1

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
Wow, the Ksyrium Elites sure went WAY DOWN in weight. My silver ones weigh 1829g. Anyone have an idea what year those were? The skewers were heavy 130g/pair boat anchors too.
I remember having a set of 05 Elites and the weight w/o skewers were 1720 I believe. I just bought a new 2010 bike with Elites and the skewers are ti. While I don't know the exact weight I do know the skewers are a feather. Mavic has really upgraded their bread and butter Ksyrium line.
Old 11-04-09, 06:36 AM
SharpStone30888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
One is lighter than the other.

One costs more than the other.

Both are overpriced.
Isn't everything in cycling overpriced? At least it feels like it.