Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody use a multi-sport watch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 02:35 AM
T2theK

Bikes: Specialized P1 All Mountain, BMC Teammachine ALR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a dedicated bike computer is the norm and the best way to go but I also like to hike & run so I think a multi-sport watch is the way to go for me. I have it narrowed down to the Garmin Vivoactive HR and Lezyne Micro C GPS. Anybody have experience with either of these that can give me some insight?
Old 07-16-17, 04:24 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Vivoactive (without the HR looks more like a watch). Love it. But now that I have a cycling computer, I don't use it as much. But it works great for cycling.. and I don't know about the HR model, but the model I have.. Garmin actually makes a Handlebar mount for it so you don't have to keep looking at your wrist.
Old 07-16-17, 04:42 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I loved my vivoactive hr. I upgraded to a 735xt, when they went on sale, and love that too.
I only use it really to broadcast HR for cycling, and for tracking running.
I wouldn't consider anything but a Garmin, personally - love the app, links up to strava, supports live segments, gets software updates, etc etc.
Old 07-16-17, 05:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 507 Posts
Wife got me a Garmin 920XT years ago to replace a 305 and for my first Ironman. Glad she did.
Old 07-16-17, 08:07 AM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a Polar watch ~15 years ago. It worked fine with a mount to attach to the handlebars.
Old 07-16-17, 08:21 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I have a Garmin Forerunner 735xt. I love it. I bought their handlebar mount for my bike and it works great.
Old 07-16-17, 08:41 AM
loxx0050

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Vivoactive HR but don't use it for cycling.

Already had a Garmin Edge 500 when I received it as a gift from the wife. I liked the Bluetooth upload features so much I upgraded my 500 to a 520.

Before that I had a Garmin 310XT. That was nice except the uploading the data was a pita... Garmin never really got that right.

The reason I don't use my watch for cycling is because I use power meter and the Vivoactive doesn't support it. A 735, 920/935 or Fenix will though but also are more $.

Wife got it for me because of the built in HR as she took note of the crappiness of the Garmin soft strap HRM I complained about.
Old 07-16-17, 04:23 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Garmin Fenix 3 and use a Wahoo Tickr HRM. It works flawlessly as a multi-sport watch with cycling-specific function.

In terms of placement, I purchased some pvc pipe insulation foam for $1 at the local hardware shop, and taped it onto the handlebars. Saved me $40. Works just as good, if not better (I can always replace the rig whenever it gets old, whereas if I break an out front Garmin watch mount that's another $40 to put out).

Sync to Strava is immediate after the ride.

Only thing it doesn't have (as far as I'm aware) is live segments for KOM hunting days. I know the F5 has it, but not sure if F3 compatibility is there yet.
Old 07-16-17, 04:26 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I also use a vivoactive hr.i run an edge 500 for reading stats on the rides, but record and upload via the watch. It's just as accurate.
Old 07-16-17, 04:34 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Love my Vivoactive HR. I don't use any cycling computers anymore, and like how clean my bike looks. What I especially like is having continuous tracking of mileage and rides across multiple bikes. It even works if I forget to turn it on, or off. I have both Strava and Ridewithgps accounts to track things, and it syncs with those accounts automatically after each ride.

I also enjoy not having a screen staring at me, demanding my attention on rides. If I want to know what's going on at any moment, I glance at my wrist. If I want to monitor my progress, I have Mapmyride on my phone, and I set it to generate audio 1 mile splits.
Old 07-16-17, 05:35 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,523 Posts
I have a TomTom Spark 3. The watch is offered in different levels with different prices. Read the reviews and give it a look. I got it mainly for the HR monitor. It does what it is supposed to do.
Old 07-16-17, 06:13 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OnyxTiger

Only thing it doesn't have (as far as I'm aware) is live segments for KOM hunting days. I know the F5 has it, but not sure if F3 compatibility is there yet.
Im pretty sure it does because the 735XT supports it. It just requires a Strava premium account and you have to "star" the segments that you want.
Old 07-17-17, 03:42 AM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
The Garmin Fenix 3 and 5 work well. You can get handlebar mounts for it pretty cheaply too.
If I didn't already have an Edge 510, I would've just used my Fenix 5.
Old 07-17-17, 11:04 AM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
Love my Vivoactive HR. I don't use any cycling computers anymore, and like how clean my bike looks. What I especially like is having continuous tracking of mileage and rides across multiple bikes. It even works if I forget to turn it on, or off. I have both Strava and Ridewithgps accounts to track things, and it syncs with those accounts automatically after each ride.

I also enjoy not having a screen staring at me, demanding my attention on rides. If I want to know what's going on at any moment, I glance at my wrist. If I want to monitor my progress, I have Mapmyride on my phone, and I set it to generate audio 1 mile splits.
Thanks for the feed back. I could get a dedicated bike computer but I want to go this route because I'm cheap and I'd rather have just 1 monitor to worry about. What are some things it's missing a normal bike computer? The HR monitor doesn't matter to me as much but I like the screen and functionality over the original vivoactive.
Old 07-17-17, 11:08 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by T2theK
Thanks for the feed back. I could get a dedicated bike computer but I want to go this route because I'm cheap and I'd rather have just 1 monitor to worry about. What are some things it's missing a normal bike computer? The HR monitor doesn't matter to me as much but I like the screen and functionality over the original vivoactive.
It's virtually the same only it straps to your wrist instead of clicking into a bar mount. The only thing it doesn't do that a higher end dedicated bike computer does is turn by turn navigation.

Edit: it also won't work with a power meter.
Old 07-17-17, 12:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a Garmin Fenix 5X watch. It has maps, talks to my power meter and Di2. Easier to stay on top of the battery. Works when I swim, ski, run, hike, etc. Better fitness features than the latest Edge.
Old 07-17-17, 12:23 PM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
It's virtually the same only it straps to your wrist instead of clicking into a bar mount. The only thing it doesn't do that a higher end dedicated bike computer does is turn by turn navigation.

Edit: it also won't work with a power meter.
Thanks. I've been doing fine without turn by turn so far so it's not that big of a deal.... plus it's hard to really get lost in Hawaii. I never planned on using a power meter so I'm good on that. I just want the basics (speed, cadence & time) and for it to update on Strava. Will it auto start & stop tracking if it notices I'm at a stop light?
Old 07-17-17, 12:31 PM
pacalolo

Bikes: Synapse Carbon, Vintage Spesh Steel, something aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also use a 920XT as a my full time bike computer. I use it for running and swimming also. I don't feel the need to have a dedicated cycling computer, the 920 does everything I want.
Old 07-17-17, 12:41 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

If you don't care about HR, you could get a handlebar mount for the watch and use it like a regular bike computer. That would be an expensive bike computer, though. I like the HR, so with the device on my wrist it requires a twist of my wrist to see the data, which makes it a bit dangerous and not practical to check very often. I have a good sense of speed now, so I don't miss not seeing that continuously, and as I mentioned I use my smart phone with mapmyride to call out split speed and overall distance. If I were riding in a paceline more, I might miss seeing speed continously. I like to just ride by feel, but I also want to track my mileage, speed, elevation, HR, and route, and it does all that.

If you want something cheap, and you already have a smart phone, it's hard to beat just using your phone on a mount. Lots of apps, all with a free version and more advanced pay version.

EDIT: Yes, it automatically senses when you stop and start. You don't even need to turn it to the bike app, if you're wearing the watch and start riding, it will sense it and record it, and you can retrieve it with just a couple of extra steps after the fact.
Old 07-17-17, 01:17 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the vivoactive HR and Fenix 3. vivoactive HR as a bike computer is quite basic. What I missed on it is the ridden route, route navigation (not map, just route uploaded), gradient, etc.

i use the vivoactive HR to broadcast HR to my Fenix 3, and handlebar mount the Fenix 3 as a cycling computer.
Old 07-17-17, 02:00 PM
T2theK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't care about HR, you could get a handlebar mount for the watch and use it like a regular bike computer. That would be an expensive bike computer, though. I like the HR, so with the device on my wrist it requires a twist of my wrist to see the data, which makes it a bit dangerous and not practical to check very often. I have a good sense of speed now, so I don't miss not seeing that continuously, and as I mentioned I use my smart phone with mapmyride to call out split speed and overall distance. If I were riding in a paceline more, I might miss seeing speed continously. I like to just ride by feel, but I also want to track my mileage, speed, elevation, HR, and route, and it does all that.

If you want something cheap, and you already have a smart phone, it's hard to beat just using your phone on a mount. Lots of apps, all with a free version and more advanced pay version.

EDIT: Yes, it automatically senses when you stop and start. You don't even need to turn it to the bike app, if you're wearing the watch and start riding, it will sense it and record it, and you can retrieve it with just a couple of extra steps after the fact.
I tried mounting my phone to my bike but for some reason my phone would "lose" my sim card every time so I reverted back to carrying in my center pocket again. I wouldn't call it an expensive bike computer. The Edge 520 is still going for $300. I don't need to continually see my data but it would be nice to take a glance when ever I'm at a stop real quick plus it wouldn't drain my phone battery or use up my data. Like you, I like to just ride by feel but track my ride as well. This is looking like the winner since nobody chimed in about the Leznye Micro C GPS watch.
Old 07-17-17, 02:06 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my riding partner has the vivoactive hr and an edge 800, he sees a discrepancy with the HR reading. vivo reading between 15-20 bpm higher than the hr strap equipped edge.

aside from that he like it.
Old 07-17-17, 02:24 PM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by bonz50
my riding partner has the vivoactive hr and an edge 800, he sees a discrepancy with the HR reading. vivo reading between 15-20 bpm higher than the hr strap equipped edge.

aside from that he like it.
My VA HR seems accurate. If mine is reading 20 bpm high, my actual resting HR is 28, and my max is around 145! I think some people's anatomy makes the wrist monitor problematic. I also think the early versions of the firmware may not have been as good. I'm thin, pale (at least where the sensor is), and have prominent blood vessels. Since this is an optical sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if skin pigment and body fat and other factors may affect the accuracy.
Old 07-17-17, 03:19 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Thanks. I've been doing fine without turn by turn so far so it's not that big of a deal.... plus it's hard to really get lost in Hawaii. I never planned on using a power meter so I'm good on that. I just want the basics (speed, cadence & time) and for it to update on Strava. Will it auto start & stop tracking if it notices I'm at a stop light?
Yes it has auto-pause.
Old 07-17-17, 03:20 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

My VA HR seems accurate. If mine is reading 20 bpm high, my actual resting HR is 28, and my max is around 145! I think some people's anatomy makes the wrist monitor problematic. I also think the early versions of the firmware may not have been as good. I'm thin, pale (at least where the sensor is), and have prominent blood vessels. Since this is an optical sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if skin pigment and body fat and other factors may affect the accuracy.
Same.

I always have issues with chest straps...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.