Old 07-25-09, 06:22 AM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DFW-Vancouver,Washington

I have just returned from a few days in Vancouver,Washington, was house hunting, found a really good deal on a new house. I'm making a move to the Pacific Northwest, I should be there the last part of September.

I do a lot of motorcycle riding and bicycle riding, my partner and I spent a whole day in downtown Portland last Sept, on rented bicycles, Loved it, such a great city and Powell Books what a treasure.

Oh and Burgerville, what a great local chain. sure beats Dairy Queen in Texas.

We will have to learn how to dress for the different weather now, and I'm still curious about rainy/drizzly bicycle riding, but that's what the local bicycle shops will help me answer. I figure I'm going to end up putting fenders on my Trek SU100.
Old 07-25-09, 04:55 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The main thing you need to know about dressing in the PNW is LAYERS alway layers. Our winters normally are not too cold just wet and breezy. Down around Portland and Vancouver they get ice storms sometime but now a lot. We don't generally get a lot of snow but it can really dump once in a while. I guess the words to the wise is be prepared for anything in the winter. Summers are usually pretty mild but it has been hot and dry since June this year, next year who know it might rain till the middle of july or later. Unpredictable for sure. Get ready for really short days I mean like its dark at 4:00pm and doesn't get light till about 8 or 9 in the morning in the winter months unless you like to ski then have a blast. The PNW is pretty laid back but there are some idiots and rednecks just like everywhere else. Hope I haven't discouraged you. I don't think I would want to live anywhere elsed except for Jan and Feb. then Arizona would be nice. Good luck in your new home there are lots of opportunities to ride and lots to see around here. Oh yeah and we have some cool mountains too. You might have heard of a little hill around here named Rainier. In case you haven't here's a look at it.
Old 07-25-09, 06:36 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sportridertex
I have just returned from a few days in Vancouver,Washington, was house hunting, found a really good deal on a new house. I'm making a move to the Pacific Northwest, I should be there the last part of September.

I do a lot of motorcycle riding and bicycle riding, my partner and I spent a whole day in downtown Portland last Sept, on rented bicycles, Loved it, such a great city and Powell Books what a treasure.

Oh and Burgerville, what a great local chain. sure beats Dairy Queen in Texas.

We will have to learn how to dress for the different weather now, and I'm still curious about rainy/drizzly bicycle riding, but that's what the local bicycle shops will help me answer. I figure I'm going to end up putting fenders on my Trek SU100.
Listen to stringbreaker, he is a wise man!

Lots and LOTS of cyclists in Vancouver/PDX. You have a world class city in Portland, and not a bad place at all in Vancouver. You know we don't have state income tax here in WA, correct?

Don't know if you are into it, but Zoobombing started in Portland . Not only do we have Mount Rainier, but you are close to Mount Saint Helens and Mount Hood for some good cycling outings.

Glad to have you join us here in 'Paradise' aka the PNW!
Old 07-26-09, 09:02 AM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did she say?...."ZooBombing" ??

Last edited by sportridertex; 07-26-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-26-09, 07:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by sportridertex
What did she say?...."ZooBombing" ??
Google it, eh?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoobomb

(Sorry... just back from riding for a week in the Canadian Rockies. BTW: when you do move here, get ready for lots of questions about "moving to Canada". I usually tell people that I live in a suburb of Portland now.)

I haven't found a single shop around that doesn't sell fenders. One shop (River City) makes fenders: https://rivercitybicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=711

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 07-26-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 04:16 PM
kenl666

Bikes: 1999 Lightspeed Classic, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also check out https://bikeportland.org/, they have a news page and forums too.