Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Disk brake piston not fully retracting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 09:21 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

Hi All,

One side of my front disc brake piston doesn't fully retract, so that my brake is rubbing slightly. I made the mistake of pulling the brake lever whilst the front wheel was off when i was transporting the bike.

I have tried taking the pads out and pushing the piston back but it doesn't go back fully, and it takes quite a bit of pressure to do this.

Is there an easy fox for this?

Thanks
Old 03-23-17, 09:35 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Hydraulic discs are pretty easy to service, plenty of videos on youtube for this.

Without knowing the specific brakes you have, you could undo the top cap at the lever end (the reservoir), and then use a hex key (probably 8 or 10mm) to push the piston back in with the pads removed, this will remove the pressure issue, and you should be able to see fluid being returned to the reservoir when your doing this.
Old 03-23-17, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
maybe some dirt had gotten in the slave piston seal?
Old 03-23-17, 01:47 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Hi All,

One side of my front disc brake piston doesn't fully retract, so that my brake is rubbing slightly. I made the mistake of pulling the brake lever whilst the front wheel was off when i was transporting the bike.

I have tried taking the pads out and pushing the piston back but it doesn't go back fully, and it takes quite a bit of pressure to do this.

Is there an easy fox for this?

Thanks
The pad shouldn't "fully" retract. It only retracts half a mm or so when you let go of the lever until it doesn't touch the rotor.

As for it not retracting fully when pushing on it. Make sure you push on it evenly, not cockeyed. And push harder (with a plastic tool, tire levers generally work well.)

Also, your alignment may be off. Look up videos for how to align your caliper.
Old 03-23-17, 06:43 PM
trailflow1

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
If they still wont retract after removing some fluid (i would try this first). Try spraying some silicone lubricant spray around the pistons. It is safe to use and wont damage the rubber seals. Do not use any other types of lubricants because they will damage the seals.
Old 03-24-17, 07:21 AM
sw20

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted by jimc101
Hydraulic discs are pretty easy to service, plenty of videos on youtube for this.

Without knowing the specific brakes you have, you could undo the top cap at the lever end (the reservoir), and then use a hex key (probably 8 or 10mm) to push the piston back in with the pads removed, this will remove the pressure issue, and you should be able to see fluid being returned to the reservoir when your doing this.
sorry for the noob question, but will I need to top up the mineral oil if i do this?

Thanks
Old 03-24-17, 08:21 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Thanks for all the replies!

sorry for the noob question, but will I need to top up the mineral oil if i do this?

Thanks
Theoretically, no. He's thinking that the air pressure in the sealed system is making it hard to push the piston back, so by taking the cap of the reservoir off, you're removing the pressure. Make sure you rotate the reservoir so it's level (and no fluid will spill out) before you do it.

Also, not all hydraulic brake systems take mineral oil. Some take brake fluid (Dot3 or 4). Make sure you know what kind your brakes take.
Old 03-24-17, 08:27 AM
sw20

Originally Posted by corrado33
Theoretically, no. He's thinking that the air pressure in the sealed system is making it hard to push the piston back, so by taking the cap of the reservoir off, you're removing the pressure. Make sure you rotate the reservoir so it's level (and no fluid will spill out) before you do it.

Also, not all hydraulic brake systems take mineral oil. Some take brake fluid (Dot3 or 4). Make sure you know what kind your brakes take.

Thanks corrado, I've got Tektro brakes which I believe are mineral oil.

Maybe I'll get some, just in case!
Old 03-25-17, 08:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Without knowing the brake, no one can say whether it uses DOT brake fluid, or mineral oil.

Have you read the manual yet?

Old 03-25-17, 08:55 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If any brake system is made for DOT brake fluid, adding mineral oil will most likely ruin every rubber part inside the system. It will never work correctly without a surgical cleaning, and replacement of all the rubber parts.

Last edited by grizzly59; 03-25-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-26-21, 02:04 PM
Scoot66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fluid

Originally Posted by corrado33

try DOT5:1, not 3-4