Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did the wrong headset come with this old Specialized Rockhopper?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 12:36 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I have been rebuilding an old Specialized Rockhopper, and I was tackling new bearings in the headset today. When I pulled the fork, I found the crown race was not tightly seated. There is very slight play, and I could pull it off pretty easily with my hands.

This has me wondering if the wrong headset was installed. I measured with calipers (see attached images), and the crown race is 27.0 on the nose. The race seat on the fork is very slightly smaller, ranging 26.88 to 26.93, to 27.04 depending on direction.

From looking at catalog, I believe this is a 1993 Rockhopper FS, but mine has a rigid fork instead of suspension. It looks identical to the photo besides the fork though. The paint on my fork looks slightly different from the frame as well. The fork paint is a very slightly bluer black, whereas the frame is straight black. Both with subtle sparkles and the decals have pink that matches. My guess is it was swapped with a closely matching rigid fork either when purchased or after at some point.

All this has me scratching my head. I suspect this is the wrong size headset, since usually the race seat is larger than the crown race. But maybe it is JIS with sloppy tolerances? Is this close enough? Should I replace it? And if so, I'm sure what to replace it with given the odd measurements. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by drewfio; 03-17-24 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-17-24, 12:40 PM
drewfio

And here is a pic of the whole frame if helpful:

Old 03-17-24, 01:57 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Some form of gap-flling liquid from Loctite, or cut the seat and use a 26.4.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-17-24, 02:07 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
As near as I can tell, if it is a 1993, I think it's a base Rockhopper, as it doesn't have a 'Sport' or 'Comp' decal on the seat stay as they did in 1993. I do think it's likely it's a '93 as the base Rockhoppers were available in black, as were the Rockhopper Sport, but again, unless the 'Sport' decal was removed, I think yours is the base model. The fork certainly looks like it came with the bike as the Direct Drive decal on the fork matches the other graphics. As far as the headset issue, I'm more of a novice mechanic so no help there other than to say the base '93 Rockhopper did come with a black headset. In any case, base model or not, it's a nice, well-made frame in good condition.
Old 03-20-24, 08:42 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
What's the serial number on the frame? What markings, if any, are on the steerer tube?
Old 03-20-24, 09:06 AM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
You can take a pin punch to the race seat on the fork, just go around the fork punching around the surface of the race seat to give it more edge.
Old 03-20-24, 09:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Ran across this once on a bike that had a carbon replacement fork. Used a strip of adhesive backed aluminum tape.
Old 03-20-24, 10:32 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

if guide for mill not snug enough it can happen that cutter can wobble slightly and cut too small

what one wants is a tight press fit
the rule of thumb is that the seat should be .1mm larger than inside diameter of race

if headset marked Specialized it will be a Hatta product

-----
Old 03-20-24, 11:50 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
LocTite Green would be the right choice, but it's an expensive investment for the few drops you'd use (unless you like having a supply on hand).
Otherwise either a shim or "peening/knurling" the crown race with a sharp punch may work just fine and cost will be minimal.
Old 03-21-24, 05:06 PM
drewfio

Thanks for the replies. An update:

I recalled from previous headset installations that a Tange Levin CDS headset fit very tightly in other frames, so I got one (JIS) to try since the old one was worn anyway. The crown race is in fact more snug now that I have it in hand. It's ever so slightly smaller diameter, enough so that the fit is tighter. I can however still get it on by hand, if I work really hard at it for a while. There is no play I can feel, but if I grip very tightly I can get it to rotate around the (greased) crown race seat. I suspect if I cleaned the grease off I might not be able to install or rotate it by hand. Is this tight enough, or am I asking for trouble if I don't get it secured even more?

Last edited by drewfio; 03-21-24 at 05:18 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-21-24, 05:40 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

crown race seat & inner face of crown race should not be lubricated

fit should be tighter

two options for tighter fit:

a) Loctite type compound as mentioned previously

b) dimpling vertical face of seat with centrepunch as mentioned previously

each dimple creates a tiny parapet which increases the effective diameter of the seat

the nice thing about the Hatta headsets from Specialized is the presence of the O-ring seal to keep dirt out of the bearing; a feature especially helpful on a mountain machine

Tange Levin is an excellent value in a cup & cone headset but lacks this seal

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-21-24 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spellin'
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-21-24, 06:56 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

two options for tighter fit:

a) Loctite type compound as mentioned previously

b) dimpling vertical face of seat with centrepunch as mentioned previously

-----
all right, I think I’ll get myself a center punch and try that method then. Will report back.
Old 03-21-24, 07:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
This is way overbudget for a single build, but the J.A. Stein tool is my favorite way to get a slightly undersized crown race to behave. Always works too, within reason.

https://steintool.com/portfolio-items/knurling-tool/

-Kurt

Old 03-22-24, 09:21 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by John D
You can take a pin punch to the race seat on the fork, just go around the fork punching around the surface of the race seat to give it more edge.
That's how I was taught in my decades-ago LBS job.

JA Stein makes a nifty knurling tool for this, an improvement on this method. I do a lot of framework and have run into this issue from time to time, so I got one.

edit: looks like @cudak888 beat me to it.
Old 03-22-24, 09:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
JA Stein makes a nifty knurling tool for this, an improvement on this method. I do a lot of framework and have run into this issue from time to time, so I got one.
It's such a lovely tool to use. I realize the punch method does do the job, but the Stein knurling tool just guarantees success the first time, every time.

There's no question if one has peened the crown enough and no worries about future loosening. Just spin the fork in the vise in the tool, install the crown race (this time nice and snug), and install. It provides such peace of mind to fix it so well that one forgets that the problem ever existed.

-Kurt

Old 03-22-24, 02:10 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by gugie
That's how I was taught in my decades-ago LBS job.

edit: looks like @cudak888 beat me to it.
I saw this tool when researching my issue. I'd love to have this tool, and it looks like it is a great one for its purpose! But I'm having trouble convincing myself I need it for this project or that it will get much use in my hands in the future, at my relatively infrequent rate of working on new to me bikes.
Old 03-22-24, 02:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
I saw this tool when researching my issue. I'd love to have this tool, and it looks like it is a great one for its purpose! But I'm having trouble convincing myself I need it for this project or that it will get much use in my hands in the future, at my relatively infrequent rate of working on new to me bikes.
For one time use, it's not worth it. Peening the race with a punch, as recommended by others, is my recommendation to you. Just start with opposite sides, then quarters, eighths, etc. to try and make it symmetric.
Old 03-23-24, 11:34 AM
drewfio

Okay another update:

So I got a center punch and made divots around the race seat, as suggested. And hey, it did the trick. Took no time at all, and the fit is tight. I’ve got the headset fully installed now. Thanks for the advice!

Likes For drewfio:
Old 03-23-24, 04:32 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Well done, drewfio! Post some photos in the 'Show us your Vintage Mountain Bike' thread once you have it all put together. I'm sure others along with myself would like to see the completed bike.
Likes For Maxey: