Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did anyone else get a letter from Nashbar?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 01:55 PM
texraid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got mine yesterday. It seems their server was compromised allowing certain parties access to names, addresses, and credit card numbers.

Last spring, $300 was charged to my debit card.....all I-Tunes before I caught it and canceled the card. It took me about three weeks to get my money back from the bank. All told they hit it for $1000 but only $300 went through. Since then I only write checks, pay by cash, or Amex.

Now I know how my card number was obtained.
Old 07-26-09, 02:12 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
FWIW, if you have a PayPal account, you can install their browser plugin and it will create a one-time-use card number to access the funds in your account. I'm too paranoid to use my debit account for online transactions.
Old 07-26-09, 02:19 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
FWIW, if you have a PayPal account, you can install their browser plugin and it will create a one-time-use card number to access the funds in your account. I'm too paranoid to use my debit account for online transactions.
Very good idea Chris.

I did this when I ordered from a UK site because it kept prompting me to sign up for some "Secure" service. I decided it looked a little sketchy so I went ahead and used paypal's feature.
Old 07-26-09, 02:24 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
I haven't received a letter yet, but I had fraud activity on my card last week.
Old 07-26-09, 02:41 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
As someone requested, I posted a (edited*) copy of the letter Numbskull...er... Nashbar sent me. Scroll down here, you'll find it:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=525441&page=9

* - Personal information removed.
Old 07-26-09, 03:23 PM
texraid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a PayPal account and never thought about that. On the other hand, I've had Amex for years and if anything bogus shows up I make one call and it's taken off my bill, no hassle done deal.
Old 07-26-09, 03:29 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
I received mine several weeks ago, but I heard from the credit card company a week before that.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-26-09, 03:31 PM
sickmtbnutcase
Addicted to Pavement

Bikes: '99 DBR X2, '98 DB Response, '84 Raleigh Marathon, '80 Raleigh Reliant (fixed/single)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, got a letter too. Discover 1-time use numbers FTW!
Old 07-26-09, 03:47 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep! I got my letter! One time only cards from now on. This makes three times, no more.
Old 07-26-09, 04:05 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Got my letter, which offers a 30% discount on my next purchase (before 8/28/09) as an apology. This is in addition to a "free shipping" deal. My credit card was also hit hard earlier this year for I-Tunes. I thought the problem was with another retailer, however. Now I am wondering. I don't use my card as much anymore, making my purchases with cash instead. I don't need this aggravation...enough aggravation from other sources.
Old 07-26-09, 06:06 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got the letter yesterday but my card got hit with I tunes early in the spriong and I didn't even have I tunes. From what I understand this happened in late 2008 and early 2009. Why the heck did it take them this long to get out the letters? I had a new card issued when the I tunes thing happened so I hope I'm ok. I keep a really close check on my account and haven't seen anything weird on it since the Itunes charges.
Old 07-26-09, 06:33 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts

Not that I am recommending this action, but you should still be protected. My fiance had her card skimmed a few years ago. Someone started buying appliances in Europe. The bank froze her account for a day or two and issued her a new card. She paid for nothing.
Old 07-26-09, 06:48 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had fraudulent activity on my Amex in March & my Discover in April. One time Amex notified me of the fraudulent charge. Other one was Sears.com calling to confirm my order of 2 digital camcorders.

I had used both cards on Nashbar. I'm not pleased with Nashbar taking so long to notify me, but I am pleased with my credit card companies & Sears for reporting the suspicious activity to me.
Old 07-26-09, 06:51 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did it mention how they're doing now? I placed an order this morning. Ack. I had both debit and CC defrauded this spring. Makes much sense now.

I'm going to look into this 1-time number use thingy. Sounds perfect.
Old 07-26-09, 06:53 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mparker326
I had fraudulent activity on my Amex in March & my Discover in April. One time Amex notified me of the fraudulent charge. Other one was Sears.com calling to confirm my order of 2 digital camcorders.

I had used both cards on Nashbar. I'm not pleased with Nashbar taking so long to notify me, but I am pleased with my credit card companies & Sears for reporting the suspicious activity to me.
I was called also by my credit union to alert me of some unusual charges on my card that's how I got the notification of the Itunes charges. I had checked my account a couple of days before and they called and left a message with my wife before I got home from work and could check so hats off to BECU for being proactive.
Old 07-26-09, 07:10 PM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got my letter yesterday. I would be more impressed if the 30% were stackable with one of there other regular discount codes. Since it is not, it is really 10% (or 20%) since there is almost always at least a 10% discount code that is active.
Old 07-26-09, 08:42 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I received mine last week I think. The reports I heard were they were hacked many many months ago and just now are starting to tell people about it. I got my numbers swiped back in January. Myself and my bank caught it quickly so there were only some minor hoops I had to jump through to get my $40 back from a few fraudulent charges.
Old 07-26-09, 09:49 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I installed the Paypal plugin twice. Got through the "choose image", crashed at the log in, using both
Firefox and Internet Explorer. Anybody got a clue? Difficult to get any support from Paypal. (But you knew that!)
Old 07-26-09, 10:29 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I also got my Nashbar notice a couple days ago. Both my AMEX and Visa cards were compromised, but the card companies took cared of it. I had Microsoft XBox 360 networking charges.
Old 07-27-09, 01:32 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Something similar happened with my Discover. It tooks 3+ months and quite a few angry/exasperated calls from me before Discover reversed the charge.
Old 07-27-09, 03:42 AM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, my credit card called me with some odd charges for itunes - they were really small amounts <$3 - but based on my credit card's recommendations - we cancelled the card anyway. It was a pain to switch cards since there are some automatic charges set up. When I got the letter from Nashbar - it made sense since I bought a pair of rain pants a while back . It's a difficult letter for Nashbar to send to customers- but I am glad that they sent it. Some other retailers may not have notified customers. It's unfortunate that this happened. From what I understand, account info like name, address, e-mail, and credit card # were compromised.

I think that this was well handled. Credit card companies were alerted, customers were contacted, and Nashbar provided explanation. It may have taken Nashbar a while to notify customers since it may have been an ongoing fraud investigation. The credit card companies seem to be all over it.

Last edited by phillyrider; 07-27-09 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 03:43 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by texraid
I got mine yesterday. It seems their server was compromised allowing certain parties access to names, addresses, and credit card numbers.

Last spring, $300 was charged to my debit card.....all I-Tunes before I caught it and canceled the card. It took me about three weeks to get my money back from the bank. All told they hit it for $1000 but only $300 went through. Since then I only write checks, pay by cash, or Amex.

Now I know how my card number was obtained.
No offense to you but this has been discussed at length for months in the General Cycling Forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=525441

I to was a victim of them. I know your pain. Go to the original thread mentioned above and good luck.
Old 07-27-09, 03:53 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
No offense to you but this has been discussed at length for months in the General Cycling Forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=525441
I think this is a good point, so I am going to lock this one, and let all everyone contribute to the thread in General Cycling.

Thanks!

East Hill