Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Training goals for the off-season

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 12:15 PM
bobbycorno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Training goals for the off-season

My 2010 rando season is now offically over, and it's been a year to forget. 2 months off in the middle of the season with Achilles tendinits will do that... I did, however, finish a hilly (7300') 200k this past saturday with absolutely zero Achilles trouble. My slowest 200 EVER, but it was a good end for the season, considering.

Looking forward to 2011 and PBP (I hope), I started playing with the perfomance calculators at bikecalculator dot com. According to their speed-to-watts calculator, I typically cruise at about 150 watts and climb at 175. If I can bump that to 185 and drop 10 lb, their watts-to-speed calculator says I'd save 4 minutes (!) on a 5-mile, 5% climb. FOUR MINUTES! WIthout changing anything else. That'd add up to quite a bit over a hilly 1200 (like, say, PBP...)

So, the $64,000 question is: would dropping 10 lb and adding 10 watts be a reasonable training goal for this winter? Or would I have to live like a monk and train like a madman? And does anybody have suggestions for a training program to increase my crusing and climbing power output?

Geez... Training for rando... I never thought I'd come to this.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-06-10, 01:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Friel's book, of course. Not as bible, but for ideas.

I'm a weirdo, but this has worked for me. In the strength training section, Friel lists 7-9 lifting exercises and says to start with an adaptation phase where you do sets of 20-30. (at least my old edition does!). So do that. Start with 1 set of 30 and over a period of a few weeks, increase it to 3 sets of 30, all same weight, all circuit. Wear an HRM. Don't let HR drop out of zone 1 between lifts. 3 sets of circuits should take less than 30 minutes. Twice a week, after riding, or spin class, or using the cross trainer. Do that from now until February. Don't progress to the other lifting schedules.

Once a week, from now until February, do a recovery ride consisting of 1/2 plain zone 1 on the rollers, and half FastPedal at 115-120 cadence, but not over zone 2, so very low gears. Start with 10 minutes of each, progress to 40 minutes of each. The FastPedal must be done without a break. From February to June, same thing, but for the FastPedal, substitute 2 minute intervals of OLP, each leg, then zone 2 with legs together. Alternate OLP at 50 and 85 cadence. They should hurt. But don't do it if it hurts knees or tendons.

In March or April, once/week, start riding 2 X 20-30 minute intervals of zone 3 at a steady cadence of 100 or more. Only 5 minutes between intervals.

Some time of your choice, do 3 weeks of 10 minute climbing repeats, sub-LT, at 50 cadence, no upper body movement. Again, not if it hurts knees or tendons.

Some time of your choice, do 3 weeks of 15-20 minute zone 4 intervals, once/week.

""""", substitute 4 minute zone 5 intervals for the zone 4. 3 weeks.

""""", go back to zone 4, but on another day add 45 second all out hill sprints repeats, 5 minutes between. This last starting 3 weeks before PBP.

Besides the above, from now to brevet season, do one hard group ride of 50-100 miles/week, gradually increasing distance and intensity.
Besides the above, of course you'll do a normal calendar of zone 2 rides, hill rides, etc.
Besides the above, you can try doing 30' of zone 1, 6 days/week on the rollers, before breakfast.

You'll have to also do a brevet series. The week after a 300+ brevet, just do 30 minutes of zone 1 every day on the rollers, or do what you can.

Easy to overreach on this schedule. Monitor your morning resting HR, every morning. Keep a log. Every 4th week, back everything off.

If you are using a Polar recording HRM, limit total time/intensity to 500-600 units/week. Limit total LT and above time to 1 hour/week.

This schedule kept me leading a local A ride until I was 63. It works.
Old 10-11-10, 03:45 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Do the weight thing. Think of power training as a maintenance tool. (at least if you want ride 1200s)