Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bicycle weight vs your weight?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 07:43 AM
sam12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I assume every one wants well built low weight bike to gain better performance.

Lets say if you loose 10% of your weight (assume weight loss is pure fat and no muscle loss), would you gain performance (like climbing, speed etc) from the same bike as overall weight is less?

Last edited by sam12; 07-08-11 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 07:46 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight is weight, the amount of energy required to move that weight doesn't care where the weight is.
Old 07-08-11, 07:55 AM
Da Sherm
Gaming Guru

Bikes: 2011 Ridley Orion Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You wouldn't gain performance necessarily. Someone could go get liposuction and lose 20+ pounds, doesn't make them any more fit than before.

It's also much easier on the wallet to buy a 20-25lb titaniam/aluminum bike than some carbon-fiber 15 lb road bike if you have more than 10 pounds to lose. Let's face it, most of us could afford to lose some weight
Old 07-08-11, 07:56 AM
sam12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why every one try to go for most expensive (better bike, light weight) than losing weight and get may be little less expensive bike to have similar performance?
Old 07-08-11, 07:59 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sam12
Why every one try to go for most expensive (better bike, light weight) than losing weight and get may be little less expensive bike to have similar performance?
Why you talk like Tarzan?
Old 07-08-11, 08:04 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
+1
Old 07-08-11, 08:05 AM
sam12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z90

Did I shoot myself on my foot?
Old 07-08-11, 08:06 AM
Gorden Gekko
White Bags + Red eggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
Old 07-08-11, 08:06 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
When you buy a lighter bike you lose weight and you dont have to worry about your bike having too many cheeseburgers and gaining it back.
Old 07-08-11, 08:11 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lets say if you loose 10% of your weight (assume weight loss is pure fat and no muscle loss), would you gain performance (like climbing, speed etc) from the same bike as overall weight is less?
Yes and yes, but losing weight is not going to improve your speed on a flat road.
Old 07-08-11, 08:12 AM
markrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
When you buy a lighter bike you lose weight and you dont have to worry about your bike having too many cheeseburgers and gaining it back.
Quote of the day!
Old 07-08-11, 08:16 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_5700
Yes and yes, but losing weight is not going to improve your speed on a flat road.
Perhaps not, but if you're lighter, you're going to be able to sprint and climb faster and therefore be able to ride more aggressively and that helps you get into even better shape. Also, weight DOES matter on flat roads, so let's be clear about that. I get that a few pounds aren't going to be noticeable, but a rider IS moving all the weight and it takes more work to move more weight.
Old 07-08-11, 08:17 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes. I lost an extra 5-6lbs from my usual riding weight over the last two months by ramping up my riding ahead of the death ride tomorrow, and climbing hills has become noticeably easier. Speed on the flats is no different.
Old 07-08-11, 08:20 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I can lose the weight difference between my bike and a really cool carbon fiber bike during one "sit" in thw AM
Old 07-08-11, 08:21 AM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know it's hard to believe, but there are people on this planet that are NOT fat. In fact, they are slim and they can't afford to lose body weight.
Old 07-08-11, 08:26 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
I can lose the weight difference between my bike and a really cool carbon fiber bike during one "sit" in thw AM
Does something about owning a carbon fiber bike cause constipation?
Old 07-08-11, 08:27 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
Seriously people all over the world access this forum and they may not be proficient in English.
Old 07-08-11, 08:28 AM
DC_United_Fan

Bikes: IRO SS / Trek 2.1 / Trek 5.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm far too fat for this thread...
Old 07-08-11, 08:45 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts

You gain more performance loosing the weight from your body for several reasons: 1) your body doesn't have to support the extra body weight (that extra 10% of weight has to be oxygenated etc.) 2) you'll be more aerodynamic 10% lighter, with less frontal area, and it will also likely be easier to get in a more aero position.

So until you get to the point where you are too light and starting to lose power, cutting body weight will have a greater effect than cutting bike weight.

Incorrect. Cutting any weight, bike or body, will make you faster on the flats. For one thing all that weight has to be accelerated, and no one rides at a perfectly constant pace. The difference is not as great as climbing, but there will be an effect.

More importantly, cutting body weight reduces aerodynamic drag as set forth above and will make you faster on the flats. Again, not as significant as in climbing, but 10% reduction in body weight will increase your speeds on the flat, even with no change in power.

Add in that unless your already at your ideal weight a decrease in weight will likely make you more fit, your ability to sustain putting out power will increase.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-08-11, 08:52 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm just not willing to substitute fruit or cottage cheese for fries.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-08-11, 08:57 AM
Dantebfd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
I know it's hard to believe, but there are people on this planet that are NOT fat. In fact, they are slim and they can't afford to lose body weight.
You wouldn't know it by walking around Disney World. Seriously, at what point will "scootering" surpass walking as the preferred means of getting around?
Old 07-08-11, 09:00 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You gain more performance loosing the weight from your body for several reasons: 1) your body doesn't have to support the extra body weight (that extra 10% of weight has to be oxygenated etc.) 2) you'll be more aerodynamic 10% lighter, with less frontal area, and it will also likely be easier to get in a more aero position.

So until you get to the point where you are too light and starting to lose power, cutting body weight will have a greater effect than cutting bike weight.

Incorrect. Cutting any weight, bike or body, will make you faster on the flats. For one thing all that weight has to be accelerated, and no one rides at a perfectly constant pace. The difference is not as great as climbing, but there will be an effect.

More importantly, cutting body weight reduces aerodynamic drag as set forth above and will make you faster on the flats. Again, not as significant as in climbing, but 10% reduction in body weight will increase your speeds on the flat, even with no change in power.

Add in that unless your already at your ideal weight a decrease in weight will likely make you more fit, your ability to sustain putting out power will increase.
Interesting... All you hear on here (OVER AND OVER AGAIN) is that weight does not matter in the flats. I can tell you that I have not become more aero as a result of going from 185 to 155 lbs. Are you serious???!!! I can understand if you go from Mabel King or Nell Carter size down to a svelte road rider.
Old 07-08-11, 09:05 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Interesting... All you hear on here (OVER AND OVER AGAIN) is that weight does not matter in the flats. I can tell you that I have not become more aero as a result of going from 185 to 155 lbs. Are you serious???!!! I can understand if you go from Mabel King or Nell Carter size down to a svelte road rider.
Go to Kruezotter, and take your expample of going from 185 to 155. I assumed the default height of 5'10" and 20.9lbs for bike weight. Power of 300 watts, and riding in the drops.

The 185 lb rider does 23.7mph on flat ground. The 155 lb rider does 24.5mph on flat ground. Not an order of magnitude difference but measurable.

https://www.noping.net/english/

And as a matter of simple logic, aerodynamic drag is a function of frontal area, and the drag coefficient. If your height remains the same, and your weight decreases, your frontal area will decrease, without even considering the likelyhood that less gut will make it easier to hold a lower position.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 07-08-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-08-11, 09:07 AM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you test in a wind tunnel?

I think Merlin put it pretty clearly: loosing fat (not muscle) will make you faster on the flats, but not nearly the difference it will make on hills.
Old 07-08-11, 09:08 AM
Groundhog1248

Bikes: Fuji SL1, GT Team Carbon, Mrazek BOH FX Mountain bike and Giant TCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Originally Posted by pallen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.