Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain replacement at 1800 miles?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 06:37 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I had my chain replaced yesterday at my LBS at 1800 miles. That does not seem like very much, but I don't really have anything to go on. Is that normal? Is there a way to make the chain last longer? I do lube it with Rock N Roll Gold, but it appears I was not wiping the oil off well enough. The mechanic had to scrape quite a bit of sticky dirt off the bottom of the chain that hangs beneath the rear derailleur.

I did do the right thing by replacing the chain when I did. I was uniformed about the need of changing the chain and wore about the entire crank system last time. I don't plan on making that mistake again.
Old 03-24-15, 06:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
That seems premature to me unless it was a mountain bike that was ridden hard in bad conditions. Even then, 1800 miles seems decidedly low. I use a synthetic lube called Purple Extreme. It is lightweight, doesn't dry sticky and a little goes a long way. Bike chains don't need a heavy coat, so go easy with the lube. Let's see what some of the more seasoned mechanics have to say.
Old 03-24-15, 06:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
You need a Chain Checker
Old 03-24-15, 06:56 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Did you measure the chain? You can get a chain checker as DiabloScott recommends or do it with a good ruler. Here's one of the best for describing measuring a chain for wear.
Chain Maintenance

How often do you lube your chain? I'd recommend about every 200 miles. Do you clean your chain using detergents or solvents? I think that some people do more harm than good by removing all the lube when cleaning the chain and not properly replacing it.
Old 03-24-15, 07:01 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I had my chain replaced yesterday at my LBS at 1800 miles. That does not seem like very much, but I don't really have anything to go on. Is that normal?
It depends on environmental conditions, how you clean the chain (this can be worse than not cleaning it), the chain (speeds and maker), the rider (chain tension from strength or mashing bigger gears shortens life).

1000 - 10,000 miles is a reasonable range. I've gotten to 1/32" of elongation in 5000 miles running Campagnolo C8/C9/C10 chains in dry environments, and reached 3/16" in under 2000 miles with an off-brand chain I bought in Seattle.

I don't bother with cleaning chains beyond wiping off the outside, and add White Lightning every time they cease to run silently. That might be 150 miles in dry conditions once the factory lube wears off (> 1000 miles), or after 50 miles in a little rain.

I did do the right thing by replacing the chain when I did.
It depends on how long the chain was measured between pins which should be 11 or 12" apart. Chain checkers also measure roller wear which does not lead to worn cogs and rings.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-24-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 07:34 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I had my chain replaced yesterday at my LBS at 1800 miles. That does not seem like very much, but I don't really have anything to go on. Is that normal? Is there a way to make the chain last longer? I do lube it with Rock N Roll Gold, but it appears I was not wiping the oil off well enough. The mechanic had to scrape quite a bit of sticky dirt off the bottom of the chain that hangs beneath the rear derailleur.

I did do the right thing by replacing the chain when I did. I was uniformed about the need of changing the chain and wore about the entire crank system last time. I don't plan on making that mistake again.
As others have mentioned, you need to learn how to measure your chain(s) for wear. I use a 15 inches long steel ruler I bought at Staples to check my chains. Having said that, I know a very talented mechanic who tosses his chains at exactly 2000 miles. And he swears by his method. I won't ever toss a chain without measuring first, but to each his own.
Old 03-24-15, 07:45 PM
jskash

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Did you measure the chain? You can get a chain checker as DiabloScott recommends or do it with a good ruler. Here's one of the best for describing measuring a chain for wear.
Chain Maintenance

How often do you lube your chain? I'd recommend about every 200 miles. Do you clean your chain using detergents or solvents? I think that some people do more harm than good by removing all the lube when cleaning the chain and not properly replacing it.
The mechanic at the LBS checked the chain. I have no doubt that it needed to be changed as the bike rode much better this morning. I lube the chain every two weeks or so which is about 200 miles. The LBS said not to wash the chain and said to use Rock N Roll chain lube.
Old 03-24-15, 07:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
You need a Chain Checker
Yes, in the form of a decent-quality steel rule; many commercial chain checkers are quite inaccurate and in any case only measure over a short length of chain so small non-uniformities can fool them.
Old 03-24-15, 07:58 PM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like the chain was not kept clean, so, 1800 miles is not surprising. on a road bike Some chains last longer than others. Some riders put more stress on chains than others. I get 3-5,000 miles on the chains that I use.
Old 03-24-15, 08:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
There's no rule or even a workable average for chain life. It varies anywhere form a bit over 1,000 to over 10,000 miles, though I believe most people should get closer to 3,000 than much less.

The variables include rider weight, terrain, weather conditions, rider average speed, and maintenance/chain lube habits.

A strong, heavy rider in hilly areas like Connecticut or Pennsylvania won't get the same chain life as a light person riding on flat terrain. Faster riders will see chainlife decreasing with higher average speeds, and wet weather, especially in dirty conditions will be murder even when all else is good.

What you can do other than riding slower, losing weight or moving to Kansas, is to use a decent chain oil, and keeping the chain reasonably clean.

As for how to know when to replace, measuring with a 12" ruler is probably the most accurate way, and some of the gadgets among the least.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-24-15, 08:12 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yes, in the form of a decent-quality steel rule; many commercial chain checkers are quite inaccurate and in any case only measure over a short length of chain so small non-uniformities can fool them.
I have yet to find any hardware store give-away wooden yardstick that isn't plenty accurate for measuring chain wear. So I have to wonder on the constant insistence to use a 'good quality' steel rule.
Old 03-24-15, 08:12 PM
jskash

Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no rule or even a workable average for chain life. It varies anywhere form a bit over 1,000 to over 10,000 miles, though I believe most people should get closer to 3,000 than much less.

The variables include rider weight, terrain, weather conditions, rider average speed, and maintenance/chain lube habits.

A strong, heavy rider in hilly areas like Connecticut or Pennsylvania won't get the same chain life as a light person riding on flat terrain. Faster riders will see chainlife decreasing with higher average speeds, and wet weather, especially in dirty conditions will be murder even when all else is good.

What you can do other than riding slower, losing weight or moving to Kansas, is to use a decent chain oil, and keeping the chain reasonably clean.

As for how to know when to replace, measuring with a 12" ruler is probably the most accurate way, and some of the gadgets among the least.
I have ridden in the rain and damp conditions quite a number of times, and I'm pretty sure that causes a lot of dirt that accumulated on the chain. It's all a learning experience. This time I have learned how important it is to wipe down the chain well if the conditions are wet.
Old 03-24-15, 08:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I have yet to find any hardware store give-away wooden yardstick that isn't plenty accurate for measuring chain wear. So I have to wonder on the constant insistence to use a 'good quality' steel rule.
I'm with you. We're eyeballing a 1/16" mark, while holding the zero mark against the chain. As long as there's a good zero mark, just about anything is good enough. In fact, in a pinch, I've used a sheet of paper which is a very accurate 11" and eyeballed the overhang.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-24-15, 10:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Shills for the "good quality" steel ruler industry lurk among us.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-25-15, 08:57 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride pretty hard, often climbing, and in occasionally wet conditions. I never clean the chain other than an external wipe down but do lube it at least one a week. I just had to change it at 1500 miles. I did purchase a chain cleaner and will see how this one lasts with an occasional cleaning.
Old 03-26-15, 04:13 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Is there a way to make the chain last longer? I do lube it with Rock N Roll Gold, but it appears I was not wiping the oil off well enough.
I don't like Rock N Roll. I like FB's lube, Chain-L #5 . It's nice and heavy so it tends to stay put rather than get washed out, and it cuts down a lot of noise. Lasts ages.

But you have to wipe off the excess, after oiling and after the first ride (you're only putting a single drop on each roller, I hope). With Chain-L you should probably wipe off the chain after the first few rides.

Steer clear of dry lubes; they're only optimal for really dusty or sandy conditions, don't last, and leave extremely stubborn grime everywhere.
Old 03-26-15, 07:48 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
The mechanic had to scrape quite a bit of sticky dirt off the bottom of the chain that hangs beneath the rear derailleur.
Given that the chain is a continuous loop, it's hard to fathom what portion of the chain you might consider to be the segment that "hangs beneath".
Old 03-26-15, 08:05 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...A strong, heavy rider in hilly areas...won't get the same chain life as a light person riding on flat terrain....
This describes me perfectly. 190 pounds, and I just got well over 35,000 feet in a months time here in Northern California.

I go through chains at a rapid clip, 1,800 mile wear out has happened for me.

The best way I have found to view chains is to think of them as consumables, like tires and bar tape.
Replacing the chain, a consumable, saves the durable and expensive cassette/chain rings.
Old 03-26-15, 09:58 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Shills for the "good quality" steel ruler industry lurk among us.
Also chain-checker conspiracy theorists.
Old 03-26-15, 10:25 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy yourself a Park Tool chain checker, and check the wear yourself. While your at it get a chain tool so you can replace the chain yourself.
Old 03-26-15, 02:18 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Chain care, wear and skipping by Jobst Brandt
Old 03-27-15, 11:35 AM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two things that affect chain wear are what the roadway is made from i.e. the aggregate. As in perhaps some quartz. Also how often they are swept.
Cheers,
David in Alaska