Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 11:59 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
'The fraud slip-up' happens to be the literal crime they are attempting to prosecute on. The point I was trying to make is that they are literally not trying to prosecute and punish the doping offense. You do understand the word literal don't you? If not I can provide a Wikipedia link for you.
Literal is for people that can't think outside of the box and lack creativity. Literal exists in a court, it also exists outside of a court room but unlike a court room there is also something called context out here in the real world.

I may punch a guy in the face for telling me that my mamma is fat, but really i'm punching him because he's a ****** bag.

And since you're being a dweeb about the wikipedia link, here's some more reading. Next time correct my spelling and comma use as well.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonath..._b_591660.html
https://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jeff+Novitzky
https://blogs.bettor.com/Jeff-Novitzk...nemesis-a39962
https://topics.nytimes.com/topics/ref...zky/index.html
https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ong/index.html

Novitzky hunts and catches professional athletes that cheat. He'll use any means necessary, including fraud involving government money.
Old 12-27-10, 12:04 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And why do we care if athletes cheat?

Define cheat. By the rules, or in fairness? Which matters more?
Old 12-27-10, 12:07 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
Generally I don't, at least not enough to justify my government to interfere. However, Lance Armstrong has gained too much at the expense of too many while hiding behind a holier than thou attitude and a "I didn't cheat" stance. The real tragic part is the same reason people think he should be spared.

Someone in my life just passed away from lung cancer and her husband is having a very difficult time with this, then I see all the lance armstrong books he's reading and can't help but think what a lie it all is.

Without rules you don't have sport.
Old 12-27-10, 12:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

Amateurs and younger athletes all the way down to the high school level will emulate them, and that is totally unacceptable. You really can't have it, period the end.
that's just one in a litany of reasons.
Old 12-27-10, 12:13 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
Literal is for people that can't think outside of the box and lack creativity. Literal exists in a court, it also exists outside of a court room but unlike a court room there is also something called context out here in the real world.

I may punch a guy in the face for telling me that my mamma is fat, but really i'm punching him because he's a ****** bag.

And since you're being a dweeb about the wikipedia link, here's some more reading. Next time correct my spelling and comma use as well.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonath..._b_591660.html
https://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jeff+Novitzky
https://blogs.bettor.com/Jeff-Novitzk...nemesis-a39962
https://topics.nytimes.com/topics/ref...zky/index.html
https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ong/index.html

Novitzky hunts and catches professional athletes that cheat. He'll use any means necessary, including fraud involving government money.
Thanks for agreeing with me on the literal issue and how it applies to the court. Also, I try to be a dweeb at least once a day so thanks for the opportunity to meet my quota.
Old 12-27-10, 12:15 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To me, it's only as important as a sport is to a person. Some people say set clear rules, and as long as you follow them, it's cool. I don't see it that way.

What hurts the sport more?

Shaun White having his own private halfpipe hidden in the mountains, or his competitor taking a banned substance to recover faster from an injury? Different people will have different answers to that. For me, Shaun followed the rules, but has an unfair advantage over the guy recovering, even with the banned substance.
Old 12-27-10, 12:16 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Thanks for agreeing with me on the literal issue and how it applies to the court.
You're missing the point. If Lance Armstrong goes to jail, it'll be because he's a doping cheat. His prison time will be because of financial fraud. That's what will literally be written on his court documents, but the reason is ultimately because he's a doping cheat.
Old 12-27-10, 12:17 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, it's only as important as a sport is to a person. Some people say set clear rules, and as long as you follow them, it's cool. I don't see it that way.

What hurts the sport more?

Shaun White having his own private halfpipe hidden in the mountains, or his competitor taking a banned substance to recover faster from an injury? Different people will have different answers to that. For me, Shaun followed the rules, but has an unfair advantage over the guy recovering, even with the banned substance.
Doping is ok because everyone is doing it.
Old 12-27-10, 12:26 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, if doping wasn't banned, and was well known, would the sport die?
Old 12-27-10, 12:28 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, but you'd probably have a lot of 3 eyed children walking around.

Don't confuse the tool of the body with the tool of the athlete. Sport is and has always been about the human body winning over another human body. That's why sports fans don't like substance abuse. It's one thing to have a half pipe in the mountains, it's another to swallow 30mg of Adderall an hour before your halfpipe run.

It's different to use a super-secret aerodynamic negative weight bike up a mountain than it is to take EPO.

If you can't distinguish the difference then I'd argue you've never really truly enjoyed the beauty of sport.
Old 12-27-10, 12:30 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

You can't have something illegal be well known. Why do you feel the need to couch your positions in imaginary realties?
Old 12-27-10, 12:33 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Why do you feel the need to couch your positions in imaginary realties?
There is this too...
Old 12-27-10, 12:33 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't have something illegal be well known. Why do you feel the need to couch your positions in imaginary realties?
You mean like pot?
Old 12-27-10, 12:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

And where is pot use encouraged and supported as part of a sport?
Old 12-27-10, 12:37 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean like pot?
I don't know too many pot heads that light up a bong for the purpose (and with the result) of getting an edge over myself.
Old 12-27-10, 12:40 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You do realize that that sports does exactly this, creating imaginary realities? When batters caught up to pitchers, they raised the mound. When the scores got too low in BB, they added the shot clock. When QBs started getting hurt, they changed the rules to protect him. All of this to make the sport something other than what it could be.

It's where you decide to draw the line. And, the point is to make it legal, then known.
Old 12-27-10, 12:43 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know too many pot heads that light up a bong for the purpose (and with the result) of getting an edge over myself.
That was my literal reply to not being able to have something illegal and well known.
Old 12-27-10, 12:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

You've clearly but inside too long. Crack a window or something.
Old 12-27-10, 12:49 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do realize that that sports does exactly this, creating imaginary realities? When batters caught up to pitchers, they raised the mound. When the scores got too low in BB, they added the shot clock. When QBs started getting hurt, they changed the rules to protect him. All of this to make the sport something other than what it could be.

It's where you decide to draw the line. And, the point is to make it legal, then known.
The examples you listed are attempts by the businesses (of sport) to try and make their sport more compelling. They all worked, except for the QB thing, which if you listen to any sports radio station you'll hear plenty of fans complaining.

Your assumption is that if you make doping legal in cycling that cycling fans won't mind, I think you're wrong.
Old 12-27-10, 12:50 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

That was my literal reply to not being able to have something illegal and well known.
You're talking on one hand about something being encouraged and deemed 'acceptable' by a sports governing body that is illegal. To bolster your argument you bring up the usage of an illegal recreational herb which isn't deemed acceptable by any sports governing body.
Old 12-27-10, 12:56 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a bongathon, of course.
Old 12-27-10, 01:02 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've clearly been inside too long. Crack a window or something.
Could be. My point is simply that sports draws lines and modifies those lines based on how it best suits the sport. That I don't think some things matter nearly as much as some people think, and that most of these things would work themselves out without outside interference. That tradition in sports is fabricated. I also believe that just as I should not HAVE to wear a seatbelt but choose to on my own, I should be able to take any drug I want, regardless of what it does to me, yet be able to choose not to.

The idea of it being important to go after the pros to stop the trickle down of these drugs to armatures and children, yet I can smoke and drink in front of my children, well, that's just moronic.

And if the government is truly doing all of this to get to Lance for what happened 10 years ago, and can't see that it's only important to them, well, that speaks clearly about them and what they think of others.
Old 12-27-10, 01:05 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The examples you listed are attempts by the businesses (of sport) to try and make their sport more compelling. They all worked, except for the QB thing, which if you listen to any sports radio station you'll hear plenty of fans complaining.

Your assumption is that if you make doping legal in cycling that cycling fans won't mind, I think you're wrong.
No, I think the fans will regulate it. At some point, the money won't be there for dopers. You can either give the fans the sport you think they want, or let the fans choose the sport they want.
Old 12-27-10, 01:17 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The idea of it being important to go after the pros to stop the trickle down of these drugs to armatures and children, yet I can smoke and drink in front of my children, well, that's just moronic.
I don't agree. This hit pretty close to home when I watched the tour with my seven year old and he became a big Contador fan. It was fun sharing the sport with him. It's not so fun trying to figure out how (or whether ) to explain to him what Clenbuterol is. I'm seriously contemplating not watching next year.
Old 12-27-10, 01:19 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree with you, springwater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.