Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:09 PM
Honu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding in my regular glasses. The glaucoma is sure to be fabulous, but the swelling-up-sunburned-eyelid thing is getting to be kind of a pain.

Any prescription sunglasses brands you particularly like? Good deals? Where to buy?
Old 06-22-10, 09:20 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
if your face is asian, with the low nose bridge, then I've seen nothing, other than oakley.
but oakley Rx shades cost around $500

there's adiddas, tifosi, ray-bans, etc. for anglo faces.

there was a lengthy thread with all the recommendations in here somewhere.
Old 06-22-10, 09:37 PM
smithsb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a pair of Ray-Ban Daddy Os (square, RB 2016) a few months ago and have been really happy with them. Not the sexiest cycling-specific glasses, but I like them. Bicyclerx.com com has them, but they're widely available elsewhere--I got mine at Sears. A number of other places I looked told me my astigmatism was too strong for these, but Sears actually took the time to check with the techs, and delivered a perfect set of glasses at a decent price. They're also suitable for non-cycling purposes (trying to look cool hanging out with the hipsters at the coffee shop, impressing the neighborhood ladies when delivering child to bus stop [maybe], etc.). But your best bet is probably finding something that fits, and that's what steered me away from buying online, even though I was inclined to do so when I started my search. As soon as I started trying frames I realized that the sizing was all over the place and wanted to make sure I found something that fit properly.
Old 06-22-10, 09:59 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oakley Rx's are excellent. I spent a year riding with Oakley Rx sunglasses, fantastic optics, good cover. Just recently I switched back to using disposable contacts with non-Rx sunglasses - and like that better. You get lighter weight sunglasses and of course they're cheaper.
Old 06-22-10, 10:44 PM
TooManyTacos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a pretty good selection here:
https://www.sportrx.com/

It's pretty important to try the glasses on to see how they fit, so that website might be a good way to see what's available, and then you can order from your local shop.

For my prescription riding glasses, I use a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's that I really love. The Oakley Rx is really nice, and I got the VR28 black iridium tint. Not cheap, but really good.

As an alternative, you can find any durable prescription frame that fits you and get a pair of sun lenses made for it. I recommend polycarbonate for light weight and shatter resistance, and you can get photochromic or polarized or a regular tint. I was told that the regular tint on a CR39 plastic lens doesn't automatically include UV coating (polarized does) and it also begins to fade after you use it in bright light for a few months, so polarized or photochromic seems to be the way to go.
Old 06-22-10, 11:40 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sports are the reason I gave up on glasses and started wearing contact lenses. When I first started wearing them 8 or 10 years ago I hated them; after 4-5 hours my eyes would be dry and irritated. Recently found a brand (Accuvue 1-day Moist) that I can wear all day without my eyes drying out. Hallelujah! It's nice to have peripheral vision and be able to wear plain old sunglasses...
Old 06-23-10, 03:17 AM
dag1369
New England Patriots Rule

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Durango 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the Oakley Juliet RX and they are AMAZING. I use them for everything. They may be better then my regular glasses. I highly recommend Oakley RX.
Old 06-23-10, 06:35 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I go the contacts and regular sunglasses route so I can change lens colors or styles without breaking the bank for every pair.

And when it gets dark, you can take them off without being blind.

Also another +1 to Oakley Rx.
Old 06-23-10, 06:44 AM
mymilkexpired

Bikes: Custom Fetish Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it depends on the strength of your RX. I can't get Oakleys... I settled a few years ago for a pair of Rudy Project's Perception. My RX is -6 and -6.25, so that knocks me out of most wrap frame glasses.

How strong is your RX?
Old 06-23-10, 06:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
If your prescription allows, you definitely want the style with the prescription in the lens itself, as oppossed to a prescription insert behind the sunglass lens.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-23-10, 08:09 AM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If your prescription allows, you definitely want the style with the prescription in the lens itself, as oppossed to a prescription insert behind the sunglass lens.
I just picked up a pair of regular and sun prescription glasses from zenni optical $20 a pair. All you neeed is your prescrition and pupil distance measurement. The glasses are great and I use them all the time.
Old 06-23-10, 08:13 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Sports are the reason I gave up on glasses and started wearing contact lenses. When I first started wearing them 8 or 10 years ago I hated them; after 4-5 hours my eyes would be dry and irritated. Recently found a brand (Accuvue 1-day Moist) that I can wear all day without my eyes drying out. Hallelujah! It's nice to have peripheral vision and be able to wear plain old sunglasses...
Sports are the reason I had PRK surgery.
I wear M-Frames for cycling.
Old 06-23-10, 08:23 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look into Rudy Project Horus frames. I've got Rx's of around -6.5 and I was able to get lenses made. The nose bridge is highly adjustable (but don't adjust it too many times or it will fatigue and break, don't ask me how I know) and replaceable (fortunately).
Old 06-23-10, 08:29 AM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymilkexpired
Well it depends on the strength of your RX.
+1

Your best bet would be to go to a good optical shop with your prescription, and see what frame choices are available to you. I really liked the Oakleys, but they couldn't be made with my prescrition (too much curve to the lens, or something like that). I ended up with a Ray-Ban frame and transitions lenses (love the transitions, no need to carry different glasses for different light conditions).
Old 06-23-10, 04:06 PM
Honu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of great advice in this thread, thank you!

My Rx isn't very strong at all: slightly nearsighted, some astigmatism. And Caucasian facial structure, so it sounds like I have a lot of options. Very encouraging! I will try on a bunch for my small (female) face. Maybe if I'm successful, my next trick will be to learn to upload a photo of my surely-impending coolness to BF.
Old 06-23-10, 04:33 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not true... Maui Jim will is a good choice, even thought they are not cycling specific, but some of the flexible ones worked well for me, and they will fit any face type, Asian fit (Oakley term) or not.

Originally Posted by AEO
if your face is asian, with the low nose bridge, then I've seen nothing, other than oakley.
but oakley Rx shades cost around $500

there's adiddas, tifosi, ray-bans, etc. for anglo faces.

there was a lengthy thread with all the recommendations in here somewhere.
Old 06-23-10, 04:50 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the asian fit thing is interesting.
lower nose bridge, flatter face, taller cheek bones.

if you buy frames built for anglo faces and try to fit them on asian type faces, what happens is the lens or frame will rest on the cheekbones and the lenses will sit lower on the face.

maui jim sounds Hawaiian, and Hawaiian faces are more asian than anglo.

good to know more brands that will fit asian faces.
Old 07-20-10, 07:59 AM
Sequimite

Bikes: 2007 Rodriguez Ultimate Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingGrad80
I just picked up a pair of regular and sun prescription glasses from zenni optical $20 a pair. All you neeed is your prescrition and pupil distance measurement. The glasses are great and I use them all the time.
DO NOT buy their(Zenni) wrap around sunglasses. They snap the prescription lenses on the inside of the goggles(as they call them) and lenses designed to be over an inch from your eyes in regular frames do not work when they are 1/4" from your eyes. I've emailed them over and over but they don't seem to understand this.
Old 07-20-10, 09:15 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on your Rx. I have close to 4.0 total correction, there was one pair of oakleys with a high brow line (so I can see in the drops without neck pain) that worked. They're in the women's line.

After blowing $500 on that I kind of wish I'd just bought contacts and a pair of regular cycling sunglasses. The sucky part is when I go inside and I choose between a dark dark world and a fuzzy world.
Old 07-20-10, 09:33 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Not true... Maui Jim will is a good choice, even thought they are not cycling specific, but some of the flexible ones worked well for me, and they will fit any face type, Asian fit (Oakley term) or not.
AFAIK Maui Jim's are not impact resistant. They are hip/cool/lay on the beach look at how much money I have stylish things.

Granted this is from Oakley, so obviously slanted there way... but it's a good demonstration
https://www.oakley.com/innovation/opt...act_protection

Off the top of my head, some other brands that are suitable for safety: Wiley, Revision eyewear, Rudy Project and ESS have some protective sunglasses.
I know Wiley, Revision, Rudy and Oakley all have prescription options. I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't clearly marketted for safety and certified for z87.1-2003.
Old 07-20-10, 10:02 AM
recon455

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SEARCH!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...lasses&spell=1
Old 07-20-10, 12:42 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recon455
Aren't you special!

OP: Go with Oakley.
Old 07-20-10, 03:43 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyTacos
There's a pretty good selection here:
https://www.sportrx.com/
I have prescription sunglasses from SportRx. I bought the house brand wrap-around frame. Price was around $80 with prescription lenses. I've used them hundreds of times over the last couple of years and they are still in great shape. The prescription polycarbonate lenses are very scratch resistant. I recommend them to all my cheap friends. Rich guys can buy the Oakleys that cost 4 times as much for a minimal performance difference.
Old 07-20-10, 04:40 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Menel
AFAIK Maui Jim's are not impact resistant. They are hip/cool/lay on the beach look at how much money I have stylish things.

Have you priced RX Oakleys?

I love mine- Oakley nanowire. Perfect fit , function really well, and look kinda dorky. Two our of three ain't bad.
Old 07-20-10, 04:44 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I ride with Rx Oakley Half-jackets and they are great. They are not cheap, but the optics are stellar.

Also my Rx is not very extreme, so that might come into play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.