Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hit by a car today

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

hit by a car today

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 10:30 AM
Metal Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't think to call the police, in retrospect it's probably good that I didn't. Yes, the driver should have been more careful, but people make mistakes, and if she got kicked out of the country for it that would really be a tragedy.
Glad you're OK, but you're fine with her driving without insurance and running into people? What if she kills the next one she hits?
Old 02-14-12, 10:45 AM
hiyer1

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival and 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Di2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
For no other reason than adding to the collective BF knowledge base, did you happen to have any form of active lighting at the time?
It was a sunny morning, so no lighting at the time of the accident
Old 02-14-12, 10:46 AM
hiyer1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal Man
Glad you're OK, but you're fine with her driving without insurance and running into people? What if she kills the next one she hits?
praying that she's not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice
Old 02-14-12, 11:10 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'm guessing she's not only an undocumented worker, but probably doesn't even have a license to drive (which could also explain why she doesn't have insurance). I know those are big assumptions, but then again, this isn't really an uncommon situation. You do what you want wrt filing a police report, but I wouldn't be shy about asking for damages simply because her employer is paying for it out of pocket. I'm pretty sure both she and her employer knew the risk they were taking with her driving.
Old 02-14-12, 11:17 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niccig
That's extremely kind of you to think of how the driver's life could be affected. Normally I'd agree with everyone that a police report should be filed at the scene, but it sounds in this case like everyone is handling the situation like adults. Still, it's good that you have a willing witness. Glad you're ok!
Yeah. Glad the OP is OK, could have been ugly, and it's refreshing to see that people take responsibility for their actions like this.

Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
I'm guessing she's not only an undocumented worker, but probably doesn't even have a license to drive (which could also explain why she doesn't have insurance). I know those are big assumptions, but then again, this isn't really an uncommon situation. You do what you want wrt filing a police report, but I wouldn't be shy about asking for damages simply because her employer is paying for it out of pocket. I'm pretty sure both she and her employer knew the risk they were taking with her driving.
So yeah, that makes me think if they're doing this out of fear of having the lady and her employer exposed: driving with a license and without insurance is a pretty major offense.
Old 02-14-12, 11:30 AM
justadude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're hit by a car or whatever, and your head is affected, especially the helmet damaged, or worse no helmet, please do not get back on the bike. Don't go anywhere except the nearest hospital ER, preferably in an ambulance, to get checked out. People with head injuries like that sometimes have internal bleeding or neck injuries. Timely medical care in that situation may save your life.
Old 02-14-12, 11:33 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiyer1
thanks everyone, the woman who hit me didn't appear to have any insurance, and she didn't speak English very well. She insisted she called her employer (she was a maid), he showed up, and said he would take care of the damages. Before then though, another woman who saw everything pulled over and gave me her business card, saying she can give her account if ever there's a need.. I've been in contact with the driver's employer since and he is being very cooperative.

I didn't think to call the police, in retrospect it's probably good that I didn't. Yes, the driver should have been more careful, but people make mistakes, and if she got kicked out of the country for it that would really be a tragedy.

Thank you all
I'm not anti-immigrant by any means, but I would have no hesitation in filing a police report on this. You need it to protect your interests in the case (in case her boss doesn't come through with the money), and driving without insurance is a serious crime IMHO. I would feel bad too if she got deported, but you are taking a big risk to help her.
Old 02-14-12, 11:43 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
It was a sunny morning, so no lighting at the time of the accident
Hmmmmm. No blinkies?
Old 02-14-12, 07:43 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I was hit by a car. The car came too close to me while I was riding straight on the street. It suprised me. I did not stop riding and there was no damage to me or the bike. I think that due to scrapping sound I heard I think there was more damage to the car. Make a police report? The police did not come to my home when I experienced three home invasions in six weeks.
Old 02-15-12, 01:55 PM
TornadoCAN99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very true.
There was the tragic account of Liam Neesom's Wife after hitting her head in a skiing accident. She refused to go to hospital and just wne to the hotel room for a rest. Ended up with her dying due to a serious brain injury.
Old 02-15-12, 05:20 PM
Bovice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always assume the worst when it comes to drivers. I remember once this 18 wheeler was taking a right turn on a red light and I'm next to him in the bike lane, waiting for the light to turn green. 3 of guy's wheels protrudes into 70-80% of the bike lane. Had to jump onto the sidewalk and pull my bike up not to be crushed. @.@
Old 02-15-12, 10:10 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm glad you're OK too.

Please don't be in a rush to settle with the insurance. I hope you went to an ER to get checked out.

But even if you did, there's a chance that injuries might appear in a few days.

I was hit last year and I was in worse shape three days later. Nothing broken, but still hurting six weeks after.

Also make sure that you get your lost time and a new bicycle.

Good luck with all this. I just finished the last detail of my accident a days ago... 6 months after the hit (which was a t-bone like yours.)
Old 02-16-12, 08:49 AM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone, the woman who hit me didn't appear to have any insurance, and she didn't speak English very well. She insisted she called her employer (she was a maid), he showed up, and said he would take care of the damages. Before then though, another woman who saw everything pulled over and gave me her business card, saying she can give her account if ever there's a need.. I've been in contact with the driver's employer since and he is being very cooperative.
Wait until you send him the bill for the bike, medical costs, and the costs of any long-term medical issues. Best get his insurance info and contact them...
Old 02-16-12, 08:56 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I run my front blinky day and night.
Old 02-16-12, 12:02 PM
billyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound like things are working out acceptably, I hope you stay well.

Interestingly; driving to dinner last night with my wife at twilight (~6PM) I saw three commuters traveling home in about 2 blocks of road.

My wife saw ONE...he had a light.

We then discussed this occurrence, as I never want to have her involved in such a situation as the one you are in. Though, the best laid schemes of mice and men go often askew...
Old 02-16-12, 07:26 PM
hiyer1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyel
Sound like things are working out acceptably, I hope you stay well.

Interestingly; driving to dinner last night with my wife at twilight (~6PM) I saw three commuters traveling home in about 2 blocks of road.

My wife saw ONE...he had a light.

We then discussed this occurrence, as I never want to have her involved in such a situation as the one you are in. Though, the best laid schemes of mice and men go often askew...
Hope she wasn't the one driving!
Old 02-17-12, 11:52 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Hope she wasn't the one driving!
Sadly, even the best of drivers has to deal with the constraints of being inside a vehicle, and unless they are extremely keen, bicycles and pedestrians tend to be small details that are easily overlooked. I do not drive very frequently, but when I do, I am reminded of how difficult it is to stay aware of everything going on. As a cyclist, I do not make any compromises and make myself as visible as possible. Bright clothing, lights day and night, and methodical route choices all help me to <knocks on wood> minimize my risk. I feel far safer on a bicycle than in a car, and the statistics support that.
From my own experience as a driver, I know that many of the details of the environment fall into the background, and I am frequently startled by the "sudden" appearance of things (pedestrians, bicycles, etc) that were there all along. This, despite my willful intent to be aware (especially as a cyclist).

I notice blinkies before I see hi-vis clothing. In fact, I can see blinking lights from quite a distance, before I even see the form of the source.

When folks ask me why I choose to run my active lighting during the daytime, I ask them if hi vis clothing and/or some blinkies would make this video any different:

Old 02-17-12, 08:35 PM
ottawa_adam

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi sincerely hope you're doing well.

I'm not one to pass judgment but I don't agree with not reporting this collision. You're potentially allowing non-licenced, non-insured drivers to continue operating motor vehicles in your community. It also sounds like the business owner doesn't want his business practices to be aired publicly.

In my province this past month, there was a large passenger van full of migrant workers killed. The driver blew a stop sign, which caused a collision with a tractor trailer. The truck driver was also killed.

I wonder how many minor driving incidents the van driver encountered in the past, prior to massive loss of death?

Not exactly the same situation but this amplifies the need for reporting unsafe activity.

I'm not convinced your forgiveness will make her a better driver.
Old 02-18-12, 01:13 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On my daily route, was going straight through an intersection at about 20mph in the right lane...broad daylight, no stop signs, no red lights. Got t-boned by someone making a left turn across the intersection. Bike went flying about 15 feet in the air, landed on the saddle...I flew up a few feet, landed on my head/cheek. bad bruises in various places on legs, 2 big cracks in my helmet. Bike seems okay - no known/visible damage besides some scratches, getting it checked this weekend for other stuff.

I was able to bike the rest of the way to work, left work and got x-rayed, no fractures...I got lucky...was still able to bike back home. Will probably ride again tomorrow.

The moral: When in doubt, Don't trust cagers to yield. I figured the car was waiting for me to pass, then would accelerate to finish the turn, but no, they literally did not even notice me and just kept even acceleration (didn't even hear them try to stop)...luckily I got their information, and they agreed to cover everything, including any damage to my beloved S5.
Glad you okay, and here telling us about it.. Anytime bicycle riders come in contact with a cager is usually a bad show for the bicycle rider. We don't have steel around out, and air bags. All we got is our butt up against the steel and hard ground, and the steel be moving too.

Again, glad you okay. Tell me this, DID YOU HAVE ANY LIGHTS???

When I ride in the daytime, I got no less then two foward lights and a helmet light and two rear lights blinking at all times. That gives me more chance of being seen..

Last edited by cehowardGS; 02-18-12 at 01:20 PM.