Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike Help!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Bike Help!

Old 04-26-12, 12:07 PM
bbowdoin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Help!

Hey guys I am new to the site and pretty much new to cycling in general. I have done a lot of research though and visited my LBS to try out a few bikes. However, I am still pretty lost. I am a student and live in Athens, GA. My main purpose of this bike would be basic day to day commutes - to school, work, downtown, etc (some areas are fairly hilly). It would be left unattended and locked outside of classrooms, restaurants, and places like that. I wouldn't need any type of racks i do not think because all I would carry with me is my backpack. I really love the look of older retro-looking road bikes. That being said, I have never been around road bikes to much and the style of riding is new to me - all I am familiar with is MTB. I am debating between getting a used road bike or looking into trying out a hybrid bike (which, at first at least, I would be more used to because of the upright positioning, etc, etc). I am thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to become accustomed to a road bike or even downtube shifters, though. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Which would be better for my overall use? Thanks
Old 04-26-12, 12:13 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, Bbowdoin!

Please answer the following questions so that we may be of greater assistance:

1) Will you be primarily cycling on paved streets?

2) What is the longest distance you'll be traveling?

3) How tall are you?

4) Are you a guy?

5) How bad is bike theft on your campus and in the surrounding areas?

TIA
Old 04-26-12, 12:33 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Mostly all on paved streets, maybe a sidewalk here and there. Don't see myself ever having the need to go off-road.
2) In a day maybe ~15 miles at the most
3) I am about 6 foot. Maybe 6'1"
4) Yes I am a guy
5) Ehh - it is not super common, but definitely something that happens sometimes and one needs to be weary of especially leaving it unattended - which is why I am definitely looking into the used bike market.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-12, 01:02 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A basic road bike, steel if you can get it with a SRAM Apex rear d and cassette and a compact crank. You said hills so are we talking West Virginia hills, Colorado Hills, or the hills of Nebraska?
The SRAM gives you the option of mountain gearing on a road bike. If you can handle a 6 to 9% grade on a 27 tooth cog in the rear with a 34 or 39 up front then great. You can go to shimaNO.
Old 04-26-12, 01:05 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright Bbowdoin,

I think that you're definitely on the right track. A used chromoly steel road bike or hybrid, from the 80's era would be perfect. Therefore, you'd have to keep a patient eye out for just such a steed on your local Craigslist. As long as your used bike doesn't have any rust issues, you should be just fine. Of course, you'll have to test ride the bike prior to making the purchase, because it's absolutely imperative that your bike feel very comfortable when riding. Also, it would be a good idea to take someone along with you who is familiar with bikes, just in case.

Try to find time to join a nearby bicycle co-op, so that you'll be able to handle basic bicycle repairs on your own.

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-12, 01:50 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
An 80's road bike would work nicely and be affordable. I'd suggest a model that can accept some wider tires with a bit of grip to them. At least 700x28, 32's being better. Something with clearance for fenders would be useful if you plan on riding in bad weather. This would mean staying away from a pure racing machine and looking at road bikes made for touring or recreational use.
Old 04-26-12, 02:01 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
An 80's road bike would work nicely and be affordable. I'd suggest a model that can accept some wider tires with a bit of grip to them. At least 700x28, 32's being better. Something with clearance for fenders would be useful if you plan on riding in bad weather. This would mean staying away from a pure racing machine and looking at road bikes made for touring or recreational use.
Why stay away from the race machine? Why go with 28s or 32s? He said that he is not using racks and will be carrying a backpack. He could go stage race and not crit race geometry and be able to go 25. He could go psychocross and use a 28, but we shouldn't say that one should stay away from a certain geometry. It is his choice. I went from a relaxed stage frame, TDF geometry, to a steeper seat tube angle and shorter chainstay. No room for racks, fenders or other non-sense. Just ride.
Old 04-26-12, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yea an 80's street sport bike, convert it to straight bars ,
and get a rear-rack to have a bag to hang off of it
and not have a hot sweaty back pack on in the humid SE,
there are bags that are both a pannier and a backpack.
Old 04-26-12, 02:14 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
Why stay away from the race machine?
For commuting, reliability is much more important than speed. My commute bike uses heavy tires, which undoubtedly slow me down, but I have 14,000 flat free miles on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, I only have to change them every 8000 miles or so. A race bike is designed to go fast, the designers have made tradeoffs to allow it to go faster at the expense of reliability and ease of maintenance. If the OP had started out saying that he wanted to race, and also get to/from school, it would be different.

Given what we know, I would second the opinions to look at an 80s road or touring bike, or perhaps a hybrid. In my opinion, any commute bike should have fenders. Also, the OP doesn't think that he needs a rack and that his backpack will be enough - I would disagree - in GA, in the summer, he is not going to want something stuck to his back in the heat, and a rack and pannier will help in multiple ways: moves the center of gravity lower, making bike handling easier, and is much more comfortable.
Old 04-26-12, 02:15 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not big hills at all, I live in mid-north Georgia so more like some rolling hills here and there mainly around my college's campus
Old 04-26-12, 02:23 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys this has been a lot of help on clearing up if that type of bike would be suitable for my needs. The point about GA summer heat is very true it does get pretty hot and I can see how a backpack would get hot, it definitely does just walking. I guess it is really just up to me - too many decisions! But the general opinion seems to be than an older road bike would be perfect for the commuting i need? Since really I am just trying to get from point A to point B with a backpack on as quick and easily as possible.

With that being said, since I am new to road bikes, it felt much different than I am used to the first time I hopped on one the other day. I think it would be fine to get used to though once I got out riding --- yet on the other hand some people have recommended looking at hybrids because they offer the upright seating position and are just all around more versatile --- any thoughts on that. Also, What are you guys' opinions on downtube shifters for a beginner?

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated to get many opinions from different people because trying to make a decision
Old 04-26-12, 02:25 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also - this will not be my only mode of transportation (I do own a car, bus transit, friends with cars, etc), so I am thinking that I won't need to even worry about having room for fenders since I probably will not even bother riding in bad weather.
Old 04-26-12, 03:37 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, right now your priorities should be in this order:

1) Secure a decent chromoly steel bike from the 80's era that's in fair-good condition (doesn't matter if it's a cyclocross, road, or hybrid bike).

2) Handlebar type shouldn't matter. If you have flatbars, that's good, because you're not cycling a great distance. If you have dropbars, that's fine too, because you can ride the hoods to maintain an upright riding position. You can always assume a more aerodynamic position whenever you get ready.

3) A rack would be fine, but it's most definitely not a deal breaker. Besides, you're only cycling for approximately 7 miles one way, at the most. That's only about 25 minutes of backpack time. That's not much time to work up too good of a sweat.

4) Fenders aren't that necessary, unless you plan on many days of wet riding. Since you have a car, it's not that difficult to figure what you'll do on those wet Georgia days.

Last edited by SlimRider; 04-26-12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 03:40 PM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
3) A rack would be fine, but it's most definitely not a deal breaker. Besides, you're only cycling for approximately 7 miles one way, at the most. That's only about 15 minutes of backpack time. That's not much time to work up too good of a sweat.
He's going to maintain a 28mph average speed?
Old 04-26-12, 03:47 PM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
God you're fast! I didn't even have time to make the correction!
I just happened to open the thread at the right time, I guess.
Old 04-26-12, 04:01 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SlimRider --- Thanks for the help I definitely think that I agree with you. It helps to get some experienced people's opinions on what I should do! I'll be checking in with a LBS here in Athens that sells used bikes over the next month and see what I come across. I'll probably end up posting pictures or something to see what people think if I get close to making a decision. Lastly, back to the downtube shifters...some people hate them and told me to stay away from them and definitely get STI, ergo, etc -- and other say its no problem at all to get used to and some even like them better. Since I am looking for just a simple, basic 80s road/hyrid/cyclo bike I know that is what I will run into, do you think they would be a problem for a beginner to become accustomed to?
Old 04-26-12, 04:19 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbowdoin
SlimRider --- Thanks for the help I definitely think that I agree with you. It helps to get some experienced people's opinions on what I should do! I'll be checking in with a LBS here in Athens that sells used bikes over the next month and see what I come across. I'll probably end up posting pictures or something to see what people think if I get close to making a decision. Lastly, back to the downtube shifters...some people hate them and told me to stay away from them and definitely get STI, ergo, etc -- and other say its no problem at all to get used to and some even like them better. Since I am looking for just a simple, basic 80s road/hyrid/cyclo bike I know that is what I will run into, do you think they would be a problem for a beginner to become accustomed to?

It's so good being human, because we always manage to adapt when necessity demands that we do. Just to think that some people actually prefer downtube shifting! Trust me, after awhile, you'll get used to it, just like anything else.
Old 04-26-12, 04:47 PM
SweetNightmare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also remember, if you do go with a bike with no fender mounts, you can always get a seatpost mounted rack. If you decide the backpack is too uncomfortable/sweaty.
Old 04-26-12, 07:25 PM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SlimRider -- haha very very true.

SweetNightmare -- Sounds good thanks for the tip
Old 04-27-12, 09:42 AM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2936069492.html
https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2909298750.html
https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2978464287.html

thoughts?
Old 04-27-12, 10:25 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The blue Takara may be too tall for you. Also, it's hard to tell condition in that picture. Might be OK. Probably worth a look. Seems priced a bit high.

The red Takara may be too small for you. It looks beat.

The Nishiki looks like it may the right size, and the frame is a good one. I'm guessing all of the "consumables" are going to need to be replaced, however. Tires, tubes, rim strips, cables/housings, chain, and wraps for the bars. Saddle doesn't look bad. Of the three, just looking at pictures, this is the one that seems like a pretty solid contender for you. Go throw a leg over it.

On any old used bike (I personally am a fan of old steel bikes), be prepared to spend money on the consumable items I mentioned above. You can go super-cheap at walmart, or as pricey as you care to at your LBS, but be aware you can hit $100 pretty quick on "stuff" and that will be on top of the bike price.

Last edited by Wolfwerx; 04-27-12 at 10:30 AM. Reason: more.
Old 04-27-12, 10:26 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO you get the following:

https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2936069492.html

Looks suspicious to me...Why just take a picture of the headtube?..Also, never purchase a used bike that you can't at first, test ride. Reject this one, unless you're able to ride it. If the ride is alright, get this one.

https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2909298750.html

Looks like the better deal..My first offer would be $100...Next $125...No more than $150

https://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/2978464287.html

For this one, I'd bring a used tire and pump along. I'd test ride it and if it felt good, I'd jump on it immediately!

* First, I'd check this out right away! If it checks out ok, it's the better deal all 'round...

Make certain that these Takara bikes are made of chromoly steel and not hi-tensile steel.

Remember:

Ride them all, before you pay for one!

Looks like they all could use some upgrading...

Last edited by SlimRider; 04-27-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 10:43 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Make certain that these bikes are made of chromoly steel and not hi-tensile steel.

OR ELSE THEY WILL EXPLODE!

No, not really.
Find a bike that fits you. If you aren't comfortable, you won't want to ride. Find something either in a good state of repair, or something within your "comfort zone" of needing repair (budget, mechanical skill, etc.) Be prepared to spend money, or compromise. It's just a bike, not heart surgery, don't sweat it.
Old 04-27-12, 11:57 AM
bbowdoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha all I could find on craislist so far, thanks for the advice though!

Also, my LBS has a steel Schwinn Le Tour in what I think to be good condition. No rust, rides very smooth, has been tuned up and is ready to go - they're asking $275

Last edited by bbowdoin; 04-27-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 12:26 PM
Wolfwerx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It just so happens that I have 2 '74 Schwinn Le Tours. Heavy, but I love 'em. They ride like a Cadillac. Perfect for touring/commuting, IMO. I don't know your market, but here in Cincinnati, that would be quite expensive for one... on the other hand, if the LBS has it 100% ready-to-ride, and they are going to stand behind it, you could certainly do worse. Hop on it and ride it. See what you think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.