Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is a the best lock for a bicycle on the market today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is a the best lock for a bicycle on the market today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 10:10 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Look at the picture. He has the u-lock around the back tire only. All you have to do is remove the back tire if quick release and walk off with it?

Wrong.

Reason is it's also inside of the rear triangle of the frame. Add in the fact that one end will be affixed to a solid object, and it basically uses the wheel to lock the frame down as well. That also keeps the frame fromm being directly locked by the lock, which makes leverage attacks harder. That's pretty much the best case for security.

Just remember to lock around the RIM of the wheel, spokes can be easily cut.
Old 10-24-05, 10:17 AM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillybill
We have a few spare hanging around down here in the Navy Yard in Philly.
Wow! we only have hasidim and art school kids hanging around our navy yard

...and me I guess

edit: I didn't even notice the thread necromancy going on here!!!

Last edited by wheezl; 10-24-05 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 11:47 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Catatonic I did realize that after I posted..haha.
Old 10-24-05, 12:32 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double up.
Mini u lock and a good cable.
You get to lock both wheels and the frame, can lock soft to a tree and hobble the rear or hard to a meter you can't lift the cable over and still keep the front wheel.

At work, triple up. Leave a giant 8 pound cable at work, use the customary double and chain the frame up. I'm not proof against a angle grinder, just adding time and complexity. And cutting the number of theives that will spend the time or adding the number of minutes for a cop to chance by...
Old 10-24-05, 12:53 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
How about the anchor chain off a Battleship?
That thing hurt your toes so bad when you drop it on your foot, but gives you an extremely good work out just by carrying it around.
Old 10-24-05, 02:35 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
"Cycling Plus" did an article this past month on chain locks, and "anchors" for locking at home. Several chains did well in the tests, but were let down by weaker padlocks.

The 12mm chains from OnGuard/Magnum did well when used with the OnGuard/Magnum padlocks that have a shield around the shackle. When the padlock is locked onto the chain, the shield makes it difficult to reach the shackle with the tools most commonly used by crooks.

The OnGuard Beast chain lasted thirty minutes "under attack"...by far the best results. But, at fourteen pounds, it is not a portable lock.

The Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lasted only eight minutes. Tough chain with a not so tough padlock. If the Fahgettaboudit was combined with an Abus Granit padlock, it would likely have done as well as the OnGuard Beast.

But, with weights of eight, ten, twelve, and fourteen pounds, chain locks are not something most folks want to lug around. A Kryptonite New York 3000 U-lock weighs four pounds and the Abus Granite 54 U-lock weighs only 3 1/2 pounds. In the "real world", using the tools street punks most commonly use, those two u-locks locks will perform as well or better than a medium weight chain, such as the 12mm OnGuard/Magnum chains.
Old 10-24-05, 02:50 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
What about personal alarms for bike security? Anybody use them?
Old 10-24-05, 03:14 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
What about personal alarms for bike security? Anybody use them?
I have used possibly ten different bicycle alarms (made just for bicycles) or cable locks with alarms in them made for things like luggage, computers etc. I even have a U lock with an alarm in it. I only use them in a low crime place with a lot of people going by. Like a tourist place where I am nearby, and when I have loaded panniers on a bike that I don't want disturbed.

The problem with most of the ones I have used are made to be inexpensive. Over time the switches, the motion detector, etc, start to wear out. Then you get false triggers or no triggers when you need them.

I used one called "Cyclock" (sp ?) a cable lock and motion detector for two or three years until the switch that was actually part of a circuit board wore out. It was not repairable. They are not strong enough to keep your bike secure without a good lock anyway. I stopped using them about two years ago. They will not prevent some one from taking your bike unless it's just a grab and run impulse theft. However I just purchased one of these unused, but second hand, today actually, it's not here yet. This is just to add to a good lock, and only if I am near does it have much value.

I did not pay full price for it. I don't think the guy I bought it from has any more, it was an estate sale.

https://www.cy-curity.com/prodinfo.htm
Old 10-24-05, 08:40 PM
mormonsniper

Bikes: Nothing yet, use to have a Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for your information, my offspring (she was an aircraft electricians mate) told me that the anchor links on the USS Truman weighed 365 lbs each (I think I remember this correctly). Two chains at about 900 feet each (might have been 1100 feet).

I saw them on a tour of the ship... BIG.

ms