Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

3G tractor-tire cruiser

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

3G tractor-tire cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 02:39 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
3G tractor-tire cruiser

So I've got a chance to pick up this 3G Newport Deluxe for a reasonable price...

I've never ridden a bike with such large tires before. What should I know about them that's different? Where would one get tubes for such a thing? How practical is this thing for pavement use?

Thanks - FH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0934.jpg (99.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-28-15, 03:04 PM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always try Amazon first. According to the 3g site, this should be the size you need, 26" x 3.45".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...AEXIJS3EUGDRT6
Old 07-28-15, 08:10 PM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
I use the Kenda or Q-Tubes Superlight 2.4" x 2.7" on my Fat bikes for weight savings. The regulars with schrader valves will be fine at 281g. Q-Tubes 26" x 2.4-2.75" SCHRADER Valve Tube

With that setback seat tube it's probably only good for flat pavement. I used to have a 7 spd Electra Crusier with similar design which was good for cruising around the coastal roads.
Old 07-29-15, 03:10 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks - I pick it up tomorrow. I also have a 7 speed Electra cruiser and a coaster brake Townie. One of the three needs to go. I'm suspecting the Townie will be the cull - only because its coaster brake has become flaky with age. I've probably got more than 5K miles on it by now...

OTOH, I could rebuild it or just buy a new rear hub...
Old 07-31-15, 03:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
3G is a Bike Brand, so I assume the Dealer for that brand is where they got it ,

if they havent brought it with them when they Moved from elsewhere , ask them that : "where did You Buy It?"

Looks like another Crank Forward design Frame .
Old 08-01-15, 05:10 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well - I've learned a few things about my 3G...

1. The rear wheel must be TRUE and the tire must be FULLY aligned on the rim. If not, the tire is wide enough to rub against the chain! I don't consider this a good design. I have about 1/16 inch of clearance between the tire and chain even when everything is perfect. I've put some "axle-tuggers" on the thing to assist with alignment, but it has to be EXACT.

2. If the bead isn't set on the rim, you can't use air pressure to seat it. When I got the bike, both tube stems were at less than right angles to the rims. I depressured the rear, broke the bead-to-rim seal, and slightly rotated it, then aired it back up without incident. When I tried the front, the tire blew off the rim and ruined the tube. I got a new tube today & this time inflated in three steps (10, 20, & 40 psig) to ensure that the rim & bead were secure.

3. The rims are cheap, single wall construction. I had expected a better-made, double-wall rim for such wide tires, but nope. With the rear alignment being so critical, the single-wall construction doesn't bode well for longevity.

4. Once pedaling, the bike is reasonably stable. It can be ridden "no hands" with but minor side to side wobble. I rode it up & over some curbs, pine cones, and branches without any problem.

5. I don't like the seat. I'm changing to a Brooks ASAP.

6. The reflectors aren't too good. I'll be switching to lights soon.

So all in all, Numbers one through three are my only real complaints. I may investigate whether I can fit the thing with some narrower tires (3.25" or 3" ?). If not, then I'll just have to live with it as it is. I do like the bike, overall. It is light, sturdy, and pleasant looking. If only they'd given the tires a bit more clearance from the chainline...

FH
Old 08-02-15, 08:18 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I also found the front wheel with almost a half inch of side to side play. I adjusted the cones & now it's smooth & straight.
Old 08-02-15, 01:10 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Did you buy this bike used or from a dealer? If a dealer your should bring it back so if problems arise you don't get blamed for adjusting it. If it was used did you ride it before purchase? I don't know eother way how you could not notice both of your problems. If it was a mail order/E-Bay bike YOYO (your on your own) to you. Roger
Old 08-02-15, 03:23 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The bike was donated by 3G to a local project that assists poor kids in getting a bike. The bike was raffled to raise money for the project & I won it.

I could take it back to the bike barn & let the kids work on it, but I think I'll probably do a better job myself. It IS a nice bike, and I strongly salute 3G for being generous and civic-minded enough to support a worthy cause. Despite the minor problems with the bike (which were probably not from the factory, but rather from letting the kids assemble the bike) I really like it.

It is strongly built, light weight, and, for the most part, carefully engineered. The clearance issue between the tire & the chain has been fixed by careful alignment of the wheel in the slots. I've made enquiry and the single-wall rims are standard for ALL bikes of this style, so it isn't fair to criticize 3G on that issue - the same rims are probably standard no matter what beach tire bike you buy.

I've been putting about six miles per day on the thing, but only because it's so hot. Once the weather cools, I expect to ride it between 10 and 20 miles per day. So I'd give 3G a thumbs up on this one. So far, so good!