Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Absolute Biggest Peeve as a Seller?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Absolute Biggest Peeve as a Seller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 02:17 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I sell on ebay .... I have learned that when you list an item with a buy it now, select paypal only as the payment method

This stops people bidding then not paying or contacting (I have had a few of those recently) ... when they click 'buy it now', they have to pay immediately

I also had a bike recently listed. A guy contacted and wanted to view the bike. He arrived on time, then offered me less than half the price. In a nice way, I told him not in a million years. He smirked, then said that I have his contact details in case I change my mind

While we were 'negotiating', the bike was sold and paid for immediately by someone else.
Old 04-04-16, 02:19 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I've only had this happen one time, but several years ago I had a frame to sell because it was too small for me. I negotiated a price, packed it carefully and sent it off. Frame arrives - buyer is happy. Two days later "the dropout is bent". I ask for pictures, and get one. The picture isn't the greatest, but it looks like there is some bending, and it seems odd to me that it wasn't mentioned immediately, but I ask what he wants and he wants a $20.00 rebate from the $125 sweet deal I gave him on it. I know the bike was in sound condition, had no issues getting it prepped to ship and I have plenty of experience packing, but who knows - maybe something happened in transit, so I Pay Pal him back $20. A few days later, another e-mail. The bike is too small for him. He's asking for $40.00, but he doesn't want to send the bike back. I double-checked what I told him about the size and everything was accurate. Um... no. It's yours now, buddy.
I'm not a huge-huge seller on eBay, but I've done my fair share of sales, including a couple of cars (local pick-up only on those, of course). I take care of my buyers.

Inevitably, 1 in 5 sellers tries to scam me out of extra money back. I don't know if it's because they see a low price and take you for a fool, like you don't know what it's actually worth, or what? I always charge 2x what actual shipping costs (added handling), I take pictures and, if it's an operational device, I take short video of the item in operation. Sounds like a lot, but takes less than 5 minutes.

In every case, I copy/paste one thing, and illegitimate claimers never respond: I took video and photo documentation of the item before sending in case an insurance claim is required. I'll give two options, let me know how you want to proceed - (1) I can share my documentation so you can initiate a claim with the shipper, (2) you can send the item back in the exact shape as it was when I shipped it for a full refund of the item price.

I really hate being the guy not to trust the other end of the deal, but it literally happens all the time, and eBay almost always sides with the buyer unless you show compelling evidence to the contrary of what the buyer claims. I literally just sold some electronics, a brand new wireless device that was barely used, to some guy who was relatively new to eBay and used a different PayPal account name, different eBay account name, and different shipping address name. I suspected it was going to be bogus. I sold him something for $30 that was on Amazon used for $110, it was listed BIN-OBO. Dude emails back and tries to say it doesn't work. Sent him the canned response above, he called me a liar (a "lawyer", actualy, but whatever). I told I there was no need for hostility and I'd be happy to arbitrate the case through eBay as soon as he ships the item back exactly in the condition I sent to him and he finally went away.

Bottom line: Don't trust anyone on sales with strangers. C-Y-O-A and don't give anyone an inch because scammers see it as a sign of weakness and will take you for a mile. Vultures, man.

The added shipping amount seems to act as a good deterrent for when you need to resort to case #2. Most scammers aren't willing to risk being out $20 in shipping, for example, just to make $10 here or there.

Last edited by francophile; 04-04-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:22 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
I'm not a huge-huge seller on eBay, but I've done my fair share of sales, including a couple of cars (local pick-up only on those, of course). I take care of my buyers.

Inevitably, 1 in 5 sellers tries to scam me out of extra money back. I don't know if it's because they see a low price and take you for a fool, like you don't know what it's actually worth, or what? I always charge 2x what actual shipping costs (added handling), I take pictures and, if it's an operational device, I take short video of the item in operation. Sounds like a lot, but takes less than 5 minutes.

In every case, I copy/paste one thing, and illegitimate claimers never respond: I took video and photo documentation of the item before sending in case an insurance claim is required. I'll give two options, let me know how you want to proceed - (1) I can share my documentation so you can initiate a claim with the shipper, (2) you can send the item back in the exact shape as it was when I shipped it for a full refund of the item price.

I really hate being the guy not to trust the other end of the deal, but it literally happens all the time, and eBay almost always sides with the buyer unless you show compelling evidence to the contrary of what the buyer claims. I literally just sold some electronics, a brand new wireless device that was barely used, to some guy who was relatively new to eBay and used a different PayPal account name, different eBay account name, and different shipping address name. I suspected it was going to be bogus. I sold him something for $30 that was on Amazon used for $110, it was listed BIN-OBO. Dude emails back and tries to say it doesn't work. Sent him the canned response above, he called me a liar (a "lawyer", actualy, but whatever). I told I there was no need for hostility and I'd be happy to arbitrate the case through eBay as soon as he ships the item back exactly in the condition I sent to him and he finally went away.

Bottom line: Don't trust anyone on sales with strangers. C-Y-O-A and don't give anyone an inch because scammers see it as a sign of weakness. Vultures, man.

The added shipping amount seems to act as a good deterrent for when you need to resort to case #2. Most scammers aren't willing to risk being out $20 in shipping, for example, just to make $10 here or there.
the downfall of ebay was when they removed the option for sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers

buying on ebay is a pleasure. but selling on ebay is a different story
Old 04-04-16, 02:24 PM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIMcyclist
Beyond that, low-ball TRADERS are sort of a pathetic annoyance-
The most common item I get offered for trade for my various Italian framesets, is a crankset. One was a used 7700 DA crankset. Another was some modern Campy "that retails for $325". For these folks, I tell them to sell their part on Kijiji themselves for the price of my frame, then use the funds to buy my frame.
Old 04-04-16, 02:25 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armstrong101
Ok - let me rephrase.

You have an item listed for $40.

Guy emails you, "What's your lowest?"

You reply $30.

He says "Will you take $25"?

Fxxk this guy. If he asked you and he wasn't going to listen go your answer anyways, why did he ask?

My first reply is now often, "What's your highest?"
when someone says "what's your lowest" I say "make me a cash offer." the person who moves first, loses. this is negotiating 101. I'm a recruiter for a living and I never tell people what the job pays. I ask them what they want to make, and go from there.

also, I never get down to actual dollars via email. I always call the person first before arranging a meeting a) to make sure they aren't a weirdo and b) to discuss money on the phone. I find people are much less willing to aggressively haggle when you actually talk to them, because they can't hide behind the keyboard. this is doubly true in person. when they are standing in front of you with money in their pocket, you know they are committed to buying, and you can use that against them.
Old 04-04-16, 02:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
i'd counter, saying i'd have to part out some of the bike.

maybe $950 without the pedals, seatpost and saddle.

it shows there's some openness to making a deal.
Sure, and I've done that. In this particular case, he even admitted that yeah, it was a lowball offer. In any case, he was in CA and the main point (which took 4 emails to get across) I needed to get across in this dude's case was that I wouldn't ship, no matter the price. I've since found out (through a local player who's known the guy for 20+ years) that searching out/making silly offers is kind of a pass-time for this guy. He's apparently harmless and just makes offers with no real intention of following through. Kinda interesting. I wonder how many of those kinds of people are out there?

DD
Old 04-04-16, 02:27 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have amassed my collection since Mother's Day 2014. All from local purchases. People who have seen my collection can't believe it was purchased locally.

Here's the key to getting good stuff. PAY FULL ASKING. This doesn't mean you are getting bad deals. Look for good deals, and offer upfront full. Amazing bikes will sit there for you for a week because u were the only person to upfront full. I have gotten beautiful bikes cause others offered just to come by and look, whereas I state upfront the asking price is fine. You will get stuff that others trying to pay as little possible, will lose out on.
this makes you a great buyer, but buying and selling are totally different things. you seem to have them confused.
Old 04-04-16, 02:27 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Sure, and I've done that. In this particular case, he even admitted that yeah, it was a lowball offer. In any case, he was in CA and the main point (which took 4 emails to get across) I needed to get across in this dude's case was that I wouldn't ship, no matter the price. I've since found out (through a local player who's known the guy for 20+ years) that searching out/making silly offers is kind of a pass-time for this guy. He's apparently harmless and just makes offers with no real intention of following through. Kinda interesting. I wonder how many of those kinds of people are out there?

DD
If you sell on craigslist, you are guaranteed to find out!
Old 04-04-16, 02:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
If you sell on craigslist, you are guaranteed to find out!
Yeah, it seems likely I will

DD
Old 04-04-16, 02:47 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
Lowballers are the worst! I have turned down deals where we are $1.00 apart because they are so obnoxious. I will keep my stuff rather than give in to idiots.

I will not look a gifthorse in the mouth myself. Someone offers me a fair price for something I want I will pay it! If I offer less and they say no,that is no problem!
I agree. I'd destroy the item before I'd sell it to someone like that. Also when I have someone agree to a price and ready to meet, I tell them that fyi, if you show up with even a dollar less than our agreed price, I'll walk. I'm not rude about it but I make it clear.
Old 04-04-16, 02:52 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm confused. You said you were open to "reasonable" offers, but got offended when the potential buyer made an offer. What is reasonable is always open to debate. Perhaps $450 was the most that the potential buyer could afford. If you are not willing to negotiate, your ad should state that price is firm or not negotiable.

I don't mind it when potential buyers make offers. I can always refuse if their offer is not high enough. However, I don't like it when someone agrees over the phone or email on a certain price and then shows up in person offering less money. That is one reason why I often prefer auctions for selling and buying. When bidding on items on eBay, I decide ahead of time what is the most I am willing to pay for the item, and submit a bid through a sniper. Sometimes I get a deal, sometimes I get the item for my max bid, and sometimes I lose the auction. I'm rarely disappointed.

I recently bought a frame from someone who stated his asking price as "$350-ish?" That led me to believe he was open to offers, so I offered slightly less -- essentially asking him to cover shipping costs. He declined but offered to include some extra parts. I thought about it and decided that was a fair counter-offer, so I bought the frame. If I come across a bike frame or parts for sale on a forum for a reasonable price, I rarely ever try to talk them down, but will usually pass if it's more than I want to pay. Occasionally I will make an offer for less than the asking price if it's something I want but feel that it is priced too high. Seriously, I lot of people try to sell used items for close to retail price, which is ridiculous since there is no warranty and the items are rarely ever in pristine condition.
Old 04-04-16, 03:09 PM
armstrong101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I'm confused. You said you were open to "reasonable" offers, but got offended when the potential buyer made an offer.
That's the point. I said "reasonable offers". He didn't make an offer. He asked for a price. I gave it to him. He then went much lower.

If he had started his communication with an offer of 450, we wouldn't be having this thread.
Old 04-04-16, 03:21 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I'm both a seller and buyer on eBay & CL. I list my stuff for sale on eBay as "buy it now" and if it doesn't sell in a reasonable amount of time I add "best offer". I'm rarely in a hurry to sell & willing to be patient.

On CL I usually ask ~ 20% more than what I want, knowing people expect to haggle. I find CL listers tend to over-value bicycles and because I often have to drive long distances, I try to negotiate a price via
email or phone call before I drive 2 or 3 hours. If we can't agree on a price, I try to explain the rationale of my offer and often give advice on how they might better present and describe what they're selling.

This is a hobby.... not my livelihood. I try not to get too cranked up about it. And the vast majority of people I deal with are friendly and sincere.
Old 04-04-16, 03:28 PM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's all a game. I know exactly what he is talking about. I can't stand the "buyers" that are such cheapskates that they practically want you to give the bike away, no matter the asking price. When My final price has been thrown in to the ring and the buyer wants to sweeten his deal, I usually just say flat out "I think I am being more than generous to offer you this at X price. At that point they either buy it, or they didn't have enough cash to buy it in the first place.
Old 04-04-16, 03:28 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
i get very few lowballs. my ads and correspondence are so thorough, people don't mess with me.

my biggest pet peeve as a seller is a buyer test riding my bike out of eyesight. i always get a little anxious about it.
Old 04-04-16, 03:37 PM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
"You can leave your best offer on a piece of paper with your phone number. Thank you."
Old 04-04-16, 03:51 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
i get very few lowballs. my ads and correspondence are so thorough, people don't mess with me.

my biggest pet peeve as a seller is a buyer test riding my bike out of eyesight. i always get a little anxious about it.

+1 ^

I have been an online buyer and seller of computers, cameras, housewares, etc., for many years. I know my spending limits and my pricing limits because I do my homework. I don't pour over every itty bitty detail, but know the key metrics for a particular item. I apply the same homework philosphy to the hundreds of bicycle buy and sell transactions I've done as well over the years.

So my peeve is related to the buyer who comes at it with an attitude that they know more than me. I am a low key seller and not out to impress you with my knowledge either, I just want to sell you the bike. During 2015, I think my running average discount for the year between asking and selling price was about 4% overall, meaning I priced to market. So far YTD, everyone else on craigslist is asking so much for their bikes, which are not refurbished like the ones I sell. My asking prices have gone up a bit too, but so has the discount.

It's still wintery, so by mid-month I will get back to more realistic pricing, I need to recapture garage space!!!!

Last summer, a fellow brought 4-6 pages of ebay printouts telling me my 56cm Ironman Expert in Smoke Blue was overpriced by $200, after I drove downtown to meet him. I promptly re-racked my bike and sold it 3 weeks later for full ask at $450.

With regards to test ride anxiety, just ask for a drivers license to hold.
Old 04-04-16, 04:02 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't understand. So you take the $25? Your lowest was $30.
I never offered the seller $30. I offered the seller $25
Old 04-04-16, 04:04 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I agree. I'd destroy the item before I'd sell it to someone like that. Also when I have someone agree to a price and ready to meet, I tell them that fyi, if you show up with even a dollar less than our agreed price, I'll walk. I'm not rude about it but I make it clear.
I would never agree to a price prior to actually inspecting the item. But I would enjoy knowing that you destroyed your own item rather than taking good money for it.
Old 04-04-16, 04:06 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I would never agree to a price prior to actually inspecting the item. But I would enjoy knowing that you destroyed your own item rather than taking good money for it.
Well goodie for you.
Old 04-04-16, 04:07 PM
D1andonlyDman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Invariably, I've left you with my car keys, with my car parked where we met, or my cell phone, or both, so you can be pretty comfortable I'm not going to ride away on your bike
Old 04-04-16, 04:13 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
In my experience, I have found it quite a rare thing when members here speak of something they dislike and are directing it towards someone else here. Can we please give each other the benefit of the doubt and not presume that we're calling each other out? A few deep breaths and some empathy, please.
Old 04-04-16, 04:33 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Invariably, I've left you with my car keys, with my car parked where we met, or my cell phone, or both, so you can be pretty comfortable I'm not going to ride away on your bike
and i live in a town where people either walk or take mass transit. or he arrives before i see him park the car. a cell phone can be a dummy phone (been there). keys are cheap, anonymous pieces of cut metal.

never had one of my bikes ride off. but i get anxious when they're out of my sight.
Old 04-04-16, 04:39 PM
armstrong101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oddjob2
So my peeve is related to the buyer who comes at it with an attitude that they know more than me.
+1

I'm not an expert by any means, but compared to a complete newbie, I would be considered knowledgeable.

Folks who bring in an entry-level Pinarello made of Aelle, and tell me "this frame sells for 500 on Ebay". I saw the bike the previous fall selling locally (full build) for 650. They are parting it out and trying to score. I'm not the buyer they are looking for. Why would they think someone who wheels and deals in 1980s prestige brand frames would think all Pinarellos are the same? An Asolo/Treviso selling for 500 on Ebay doesn't make his entry-level Aelle worth 500 locally. If they are looking for a sucker, what makes them think I'm that guy? I know more about Pina pricing than they do, as that's what I deal in.

I usually tell them, if they think it's worth $500 on Ebay, that they should go sell it on Ebay to get their $500.
Old 04-04-16, 04:42 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Originally Posted by oddjob2
... a fellow brought 4-6 pages of ebay printouts telling me my 56cm Ironman Expert in Smoke Blue was overpriced by $200, after I drove downtown to meet him. I promptly re-racked my bike...
ugh. what a pain. but that might've been somewhat entertaining to refute.

sold it 3 weeks later for full ask at $450
bravo. and quite a deal on a nice, refurbished bike too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.