Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Absolute Biggest Peeve as a Seller?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Absolute Biggest Peeve as a Seller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 04:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Originally Posted by eschlwc
my biggest pet peeve as a seller is a buyer test riding my bike out of eyesight. i always get a little anxious about it.
Invariably, I've left you with my car keys, with my car parked where we met, or my cell phone, or both, so you can be pretty comfortable I'm not going to ride away on your bike
Most of what I buy is not fully functional, or has known deficiencies, so I don't worry about a test ride.

When I bought my Bike Friday, it had a tall mast, so I made sure I could get the seat adjusted right. The seller offered a test ride, but I was tuckered out towing my trailer to the top of the hill... so I just rode it in a circle around the garage.

It could have been a lickity split quick test ride down the hill. But, I realized that I would have left my Colnago parked in his driveway. Not the best of trades, but the seller could be fairly certain that I wouldn't be going anywhere without it.

I suppose not all buyers show up towing a trailer with a Colnago or Litespeed.
Old 04-04-16, 04:46 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
and i live in a town where people either walk or take mass transit. or he arrives before i see him park the car. a cell phone can be a dummy phone (been there). keys are cheap, anonymous pieces of cut metal.

never had one of my bikes ride off. but i get anxious when they're out of my sight.
I always tell people to meet me at work, which is convenient for me and centrally located in town for them. If I get a 'vibe' I just ask to hold the money while they test ride and tell them to take as long as they like. Usually I say something like "If you decide you want to keep it, you don't even have to come back." And this has happened twice
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-04-16, 04:49 PM
markii

Bikes: 1995 Giant Kronos, 1984 Trek 720, 1989 Trek 850, 2009 Batavus Personal Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I dislike haggling with a buyer when they arrive to purchase - and it is usually for no reason - or they state something I already disclosed in the ad. The items I list are described really well, have good pictures... and are priced at a very good price If someone finds something I missed, I have no problems adjusting the price when they arrive, but that usually doesn't happen. I've altered my selling strategy to remind them before making a trip that I will not be selling the item for less when they arrive - and if they don't like that I just skip over that person and move on to the next person.. or wait a week or so for the next person to inquire - because in the end the item is priced well and will sell.

Inevitably someone will still try to haggle - or still not bring enough money... I still need to work on handling those situations better... I do cave in still at times...

In the end each of us handles things differently - I am sure I lose out on money overall doing it the way I do ( and when I buy as well) - but I'm much happier after a good transaction with less money than more stressful transactions and making a bit more.
Old 04-04-16, 04:53 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I always tell people to meet me at work, which is convenient for me and centrally located in town for them. If I get a 'vibe' I just ask to hold the money while they test ride and tell them to take as long as they like. Usually I say something like "If you decide you want to keep it, you don't even have to come back." And this has happened twice
glad that works for you. i usually get a vibe as well. and i generally have their real email and phone number.

but i still get anxious when it's out of my sight! i can't help it.
Old 04-04-16, 04:56 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

of the 30+ bikes i've purchased on craigs, i've never taken any of them on a test ride.
Old 04-04-16, 05:29 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I've had some gems...

Low ballers who act like they are doing you a favor by showing up and wasting your time, after you tell them that low balling will be wasting their time.

A surprising number of idiots who want to pay by check (get off my lawn).

Had one guy respond to a free "curb alert" for non bike related stuff by inspecting, taking the free sign off the item, then driving away (too pricey apparently).
Old 04-04-16, 05:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
In my experience, I have found it quite a rare thing when members here speak of something they dislike and are directing it towards someone else here. Can we please give each other the benefit of the doubt and not presume that we're calling each other out? A few deep breaths and some empathy, please.
This.
Old 04-04-16, 05:54 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I would never agree to a price prior to actually inspecting the item. But I would enjoy knowing that you destroyed your own item rather than taking good money for it.
seriously this, I would never agree to price, and if we even discuss it when I'm buying before I see it, I tell them that I will pay a reasonable price if the item is as described. then I haggle when we get there.

when somebody agrees to a price before they even see the bike I know I could have rung them for more lol. and to the point about 20% more, definitely true. I always assume $50 means $40, and when I post, $150/obo means $120. seriously though, like who doesn't haggle? I'm honestly surprised this thread is 4 pages lol.
Old 04-04-16, 06:01 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markii
Inevitably someone will still try to haggle - or still not bring enough money... I still need to work on handling those situations better... I do cave in still at times...
lol what happens is that you get pwned by somebody who is a closer, and they win because you cave. they have the money, they just don't give it to you, and you let them.

I always bring enough money for full asking, and I NEVER bring it out of my pocket haha. hell I bring what I want to spend in my pocket, and leave my wallet with the rest in the car. I pull out the $20s and say "would you take" and then start counting. sellers are crazy suckers, especially people who don't have experience in a sales type environment professionally. they ALWAYS take the cash, even if it's lowball. on the rare occasion that I meet a serious cyclist and honest seller, I usually give them full asking and then talk shop for a while, at which point they often smirk in amusement.

rule #5 applies to the business as well, not just riding.
Old 04-04-16, 06:21 PM
markii

Bikes: 1995 Giant Kronos, 1984 Trek 720, 1989 Trek 850, 2009 Batavus Personal Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
lol what happens is that you get pwned by somebody who is a closer, and they win because you cave. they have the money, they just don't give it to you, and you let them.

I always bring enough money for full asking, and I NEVER bring it out of my pocket haha. hell I bring what I want to spend in my pocket, and leave my wallet with the rest in the car. I pull out the $20s and say "would you take" and then start counting. sellers are crazy suckers, especially people who don't have experience in a sales type environment professionally. they ALWAYS take the cash, even if it's lowball. on the rare occasion that I meet a serious cyclist and honest seller, I usually give them full asking and then talk shop for a while, at which point they often smirk in amusement.

Right - I did cave at one point - and never liked it. I know I am crappy at haggling so why play the game? If I give a heads up I am not accepting less than full price for no reason and yet the buyer tries to haggle for no reason (and again no problem adjusting the price for a good reason)- or the buyer pulls out $20 bills and says "would you take"- I'll just thank them for coming out - walk back inside and get on with my day even if the buyer intended to pay full price. No worries on my end.... I only spent a few minutes showing the item - while the other person wasted their time driving out...
Old 04-04-16, 06:32 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I don't mind playing the barter game............but buyers or sellers who become rude or insulting.......no thanks. Falling into the rude catagory........buyers who just keep pushing when you say no and/or try driving the price down further after you've accepted an offer from them. I also get a lot of "buyers" making offers.......accept them and they walk anyway.

As a buyer of many other things aside from bicycles, if the price is'nt in my wheelhouse and I can't make a deal for it, I will usually compliment the sellers item, thank them and walk away.

Old 04-04-16, 06:41 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
What's that saying? "If you've gotta ask, you can't afford it".

I see a few comments along the lines of "maybe that's all the prospective buyer could afford" as a justification of sorts for lowball offers. Oh, well, huh? I'd say it's pretty presumptuous to shop for a Colnago on a Huffy budget

DD
Old 04-04-16, 07:02 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Had one guy respond to a free "curb alert" for non bike related stuff by inspecting, taking the free sign off the item, then driving away (too pricey apparently).
that would be pretty funny if he just took the sign.
Old 04-04-16, 07:07 PM
Bikerider007

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I'm a buyer and have cash, sellers are going to get what I give depending on how bad I "personally" want it. Or don't. So there,

I'm sure if I start selling I will be wanting a million though. Haha.
Old 04-04-16, 07:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
This happened tonight. For two weeks a guy had listed some local bike stuff. The listing was written well, piqued my interest and I so met him in a store parking lot and everything was in his backpack as described. We chatted first, he just got divorced, didn't have a car, needed the money and didn't want to negotiate down. I said fine because his story all held together. He knew his stuff, knew bikes, ex roadie getting long in tooth.

The orange Marinoni frame pump came with steel campy head, a very nice Silca floor pump (extra leather washers and head rubbers) and the new Sidi shoes fit like a glove. Then there was pristine 600 pedals with clips, pro-Park pedal wrench, bar tape, winter gloves, jersey, rain coat, spd mtn pedals, new helmet liner, neoprene boots and more little bits. Shame the Giro helmet was too small, nice Italian colored model.

I paid full pop. No need to beat a guy down when he didn't have lots going for him. Call me a 'weak' for not bartering but cheapness can be a most unattractive quality at the wrong time. I got enough out value of it and chiselling him down $10 wouldn't have been a victory.
Old 04-04-16, 07:23 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I always bring enough money for full asking, and I NEVER bring it out of my pocket haha. hell I bring what I want to spend in my pocket, and leave my wallet with the rest in the car.
Yup. Keep what I expect to spend in my left pocket, the max I would spend in my right pocket, and a little spare in my back pocket in case I find it's better than I thought and I don't want to walk back to the car. 50% of the time I'm only spending from the left, 25% I'm pulling from both front pockets, 20% of the time I just walk away, and the other 5% (probably less) I'm pulling at least something from my back pocket.
Old 04-04-16, 07:38 PM
armstrong101

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyways - I'll add a few more details.

1. Why no price. I got the full build at a smoking deal (I paid full asking). In cases like this, with a bike I wasn't going to keep, I don't like to immediately flip it. Reason is, I think it's insulting to the seller to see his bike re-listed the next day with a (for example) 250% mark-up. I got the sense the seller felt he was selling a bit too cheap. So I've held the bike about a half year, and have listed it. I'll probably get the entire amount I paid, on just the frameset alone. Hence, I listed it as a "trade", just in case he sees it, so he knows it's not just about the money for me. And it isn't. As I said, my asking is probably at least 50% less than what most other people would ask for it.

2. I've had messages/inquiries about it every single day since it was listed. It will move. As such, anyone who lowballs (like the guy who emailed me), there's no reason for me to spend time dealing with them.

3. His offer of 450 CDN, is like about 300 USD at the current exchange rate. For a top-flight frame from a top manufacturer - that's more like aluminum-frame pricing. Why would I deal with him?
Old 04-04-16, 07:49 PM
Chrome Molly

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
that would be pretty funny if he just took the sign.
Somehow I have visions of this guy's garage filled with free signs. Everybody needs a hobby, I suppose.
Old 04-04-16, 07:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
This happened tonight. For two weeks a guy had listed some local bike stuff. The listing was written well, piqued my interest and I so met him in a store parking lot and everything was in his backpack as described. We chatted first, he just got divorced, didn't have a car, needed the money and didn't want to negotiate down. I said fine because his story all held together. He knew his stuff, knew bikes, ex roadie getting long in tooth.

The orange Marinoni frame pump came with steel campy head, a very nice Silca floor pump (extra leather washers and head rubbers) and the new Sidi shoes fit like a glove. Then there was pristine 600 pedals with clips, pro-Park pedal wrench, bar tape, winter gloves, jersey, rain coat, spd mtn pedals, new helmet liner, neoprene boots and more little bits. Shame the Giro helmet was too small, nice Italian colored model.

I paid full pop. No need to beat a guy down when he didn't have lots going for him. Call me a 'weak' for not bartering but cheapness can be a most unattractive quality at the wrong time. I got enough out value of it and chiselling him down $10 wouldn't have been a victory.
We are of the same mind. I saw a Motobecane Super Mirage on CL. The guy wanted to meet at a business location. I was pumped, since this was a bike I had as a kid. Turns out the guy was in between homes and needing gas money to get to work. The bike was in excellent condition but grimey, bad grimey. I paid him his asking price no probs and he was very grateful. It was a good day.
Old 04-04-16, 07:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
My suggestion would be to have a thicker skin as a seller. Most buyers are amateurs, or think they are semi-pro buyers. Folk don't like to know the truth.
Be polite, but advise your view. If done in a way that allows reconsideration, a deal may be concluded in the future and no one has to lose face over it.
Old 04-04-16, 08:16 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing I see at swap meets is some guy late in the day who wants your $20 item but says he spent all his money and only has $17.00 left. I have seen this so many times. Of course same guy still goes down the line of tables buying more items with his last bit of money again and again!!
Old 04-04-16, 08:23 PM
armstrong101

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modelmartin
The thing I see at swap meets is some guy late in the day who wants your $20 item but says he spent all his money and only has $17.00 left. I have seen this so many times. Of course same guy still goes down the line of tables buying more items with his last bit of money again and again!!
I'm glad I earn a living that allows me not to have to sell out my integrity over and over again to save $3.
Old 04-04-16, 08:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
when someone says "what's your lowest" I say "make me a cash offer." the person who moves first, loses. this is negotiating 101. I'm a recruiter for a living and I never tell people what the job pays. I ask them what they want to make, and go from there.

also, I never get down to actual dollars via email. I always call the person first before arranging a meeting a) to make sure they aren't a weirdo and b) to discuss money on the phone. I find people are much less willing to aggressively haggle when you actually talk to them, because they can't hide behind the keyboard. this is doubly true in person. when they are standing in front of you with money in their pocket, you know they are committed to buying, and you can use that against them.
I have ended a couple of discussions about potential jobs due to being asked what i want to make. I was invested in both potential jobs thru time and effort, but declined after being offered one (and potentially offered the other) due to the tactic you use.
It works for you, cool, just saying that you are potentially (or have) losing out of qualified potential employees by answeribg a question with a question and playing the upper hand game.
I want to make $800k a year. Hell, i want to make $10mil a year. But thats obviously not in the cards so why even ask.
Employers place a value range on a job category and adjust for experience, so you already have a price in mind so why not be willing to talk?

I have no interest in working for a company who cant twll me what they think their job is worth. I can only imagine how much ridiculousness i would have to deal with in a company like that.

You say that knowing a buyer has cash in their pocket can be used against them because they are committed to buying, yet i havent found that to at all be true.
I bring money to every meet up, yet dont buy if i dont like the product or price. The money is there in case i like it.
In fact, as a seller i would be more willing to drop a price by $15 on a bike i was asking $200 for if the person offered up $185 and had the money ready. Sure, i could counter, but i really dont care about getting an extra $5 compared to selling a bike.
Old 04-04-16, 08:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts

But if you dont care that you got 'pwned'(is this '06 still?), did you get 'pwned'?
It could be argued that you did not get 'pwned' if you dont care that you got 'pwned' because in order to be 'pwned' one must actively try to not be 'pwned'.
And did the buyer win, or did both parties win? If i agree to a lower price, have i caved or have i weighed the benefits of selling now compared to holding out for the potential higher sale later and decided its better for me to sell now?

This is all a mindblow, i know, but its like that whole cat in a box thing. Dont open the box and the cat isnt dead.
Old 04-04-16, 09:17 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But if you dont care that you got 'pwned'(is this '06 still?), did you get 'pwned'?
It could be argued that you did not get 'pwned' if you dont care that you got 'pwned' because in order to be 'pwned' one must actively try to not be 'pwned'.
And did the buyer win, or did both parties win? If i agree to a lower price, have i caved or have i weighed the benefits of selling now compared to holding out for the potential higher sale later and decided its better for me to sell now?

This is all a mindblow, i know, but its like that whole cat in a box thing. Dont open the box and the cat isnt dead.
If it starts to smell decomposed, it's dead even if you don't open the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.