Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Northern Japan bike tour video now uploaded

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 12-11-18, 11:19 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

Old 12-12-18, 01:28 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I'm 16 minutes into it so far. Great video!
I traveled up and down Honshu in the late 80's and this brings back some fond memories
Old 12-12-18, 09:11 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
you are probably do this for a living... extremely high quality. great shots. amazing video quality, professional level voice over. really impressed.

does it take away from traveling? you must focus on the takes you must make to build a good narrative; or does it increases travel involvement by making you more aware?

how did you research your itinerary?
Old 12-13-18, 07:55 AM
lipmeng

Bikes: Fuji Tourer 2016 & Marin FourCorners 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Waddo, I have been subscribing your videos on YouTube and enjoyed them very much. There are very informative and useful insights on wild camping and cycle touring Japan without a big budget which I loved to do. I am looking forward to ride solo in Hokkaido sometime during next summer for 5 weeks starting the last week of June and the whole of July. Hopefully I get to ride it. I intend to to wild camping as much as possible as my daily budget is about USD20 per day and visit the Rebun an Rishiri islands and Cape Soya.

I will be most obliged of you can give some advice and suggestions about the route and wild camping.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-18, 08:21 AM
waddo

Gauvins:

Thanks for the flattering comments. Actually you would be surprised. My main focus is to have a holiday. The video stuff is not an afterthought, but certainly not a priority, Not only do I get home and realise that I have no video at all for certain places, for example Mosquito Hell in this video, but also a lot of the video I do have is junk. I have to fight with what I have to make it descent.

Having said that, many years ago when I started doing video, I read a few books on film making and editing. In terms of using a camera there is a basic principles that beginners should follow: the subject moves, not the camera. Also, learn how to hold the camera and I actually hold my breath to keep things as shake free as possible. Finally, I spend hours and hours searching for the right music for the right scene. This I think is what makes my vids quite good. The scene at the lake at the start for example. I spent at least 5 hours editing that sequence; but every movement of the music matches the mood of the video. I think it's the best sequence I ever did.

And finally, to the Itinerary. Great places help make a video. First I search for famous places on the net. I put pins in Google earth. The I start clicking on photos on Google earth looking for hidden gems. The local shrine near the start is one such place. Then I start clicking more images looking for outstanding places to camp. Google Earth and Maps are good for this. Finally, with all the pins in Google Earth I try to join up the places using only country and mountain roads when possible. I usually spend a few months planning a trip but it's quite fun. Actually just tonight I fixed the trip for the xmas and new year in Kyushu.

Sorry for such a long winded answer but you did ask!
Old 12-13-18, 08:28 AM
waddo

lipmeng:

Sorry I have never been touring in Hokkaido. I did go there by car once. First, it is a nice place but it does not feel much like Japan. There are not many shrines or temples and it is mostly empty. It's more like Canada. So you will need to carry lots of food with you because there are not many stores, unlike most places in Japan. If you want to have a nice semi wilderness adventure, I think it will be great. If you want to experience Japan, less so.

As for the route and camping, check the reply above where I explain my method. It takes lots of time; but the result is great roads, camp sites and locations.

Sorry i cannot be of more help.

Last edited by waddo; 12-13-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 09:20 PM
lipmeng

Bikes: Fuji Tourer 2016 & Marin FourCorners 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your tip Waddo. You are correct about Hokkaido as it will be less inhabitants and more remote than the other parts of Japan. Perhaps I may need to plan another trip on southern part in future to see and experience of the culture and various places of interest.

I have yet to complete the viewing of the above video yet but those water in the lake is so clear especially with the reflection of the mountains on the water surface. Heavenly beautiful.
Old 12-15-18, 02:06 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Very nice vid. Did you use Rinko bikes? Did you have trouble following road signs, any language difficulties?
Old 12-16-18, 06:55 PM
waddo

Rinko bike bags yes. You cannot get on the train without them. My wife is Japanese, so we have no trouble. Most roads have English signs but some empty mountain roads do not, so it's good to have the route on your phone, just in case.