Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommended light weight jackets?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-24-19, 09:43 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

This past weekend I was caught without a lightweight cycling jacket. So I think the time has come for me to purchase one. The idea jacket can compact down enough to be stored in a back pocket if needed.

Anyone have a jacket they love and would recommend? Hopefully one that doesn't cost a fortune too? Thank you.
Old 06-24-19, 10:18 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Is the purpose for warmth or wind/rain protection. It makes a difference. You can find wind/rain jackets that pack down real small so it fits in a jersey pocket but do a lousy job at keeping you warm. If you are looking for warmth that infers some type of insulation which may not pack down so well.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 06-24-19, 11:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
GTX Shake Dry. It's protection from wind and rain, almost no warmth.

Don't buy Mountain Hardwear's Ghost Whisperer wind shirt. It doesn't breathe well enough to use on a bike.

The only insulation that's going to be packable enough to carry is down, and that's not going to work on a bike until well below freezing. If you get it wet (like by sweating) it will stop working as insulation until dry.
Old 06-24-19, 01:23 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Pactimo Torrent

I like mine. Have worn in heavy fog, rain, T-storm and as an additional layer. Easily fits into a jersey pocket. Packs to about arm warmer size. Breathable rain resistant 4-way stretch fabric. Regulates heat well for me. Black or hiviz. Downside is price at $200.

Last edited by BarryVee; 06-24-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 02:50 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I bought a Novara branded one at REI a few years back, on closeout for under $40, and it was lighter than my Patagonia Houdini, which was more than 2x the cost. I think they make the Houdini now without a hood, which would be better for cycling. Also, check www.ornotbike.com they have nice, lightweight jackets as well. None of these are waterproof though.
Old 06-24-19, 02:54 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I’ve always liked specialized lightweight shells. My first one got lost, the replacement is even better. Their current offering is probably even better still.
Old 06-24-19, 03:16 PM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by jadocs
Is the purpose for warmth or wind/rain protection. It makes a difference. You can find wind/rain jackets that pack down real small so it fits in a jersey pocket but do a lousy job at keeping you warm. If you are looking for warmth that infers some type of insulation which may not pack down so well.
Purpose is for wind/rain protection. If I'm able to pack it down to a jersey pocket that would be great brilliant.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Most appreciated.
Old 06-24-19, 04:01 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Purpose is for wind/rain protection. If I'm able to pack it down to a jersey pocket that would be great brilliant.

I’m not sure what size you wear, but check out the archive sale at Rapha. They have several versions of wind/rain jackets. If you are lucky enough to find your size, you will have a great piece of kit.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/archiv...ry/archivesale
Old 06-24-19, 04:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts

Morvelo Plan B Race Cape.
Old 06-24-19, 06:34 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I'll second one of the models made from Gore-Tex Shake Dry. Crazy light, packable, breathable, windproof, and waterproof.

I don't own one because I already own 3 or 4 other jackets that I'd have to toss if I got one... At first they seem expensive, until you contrast that with buying 3 or 4 different, less versatile jackets...
Old 06-24-19, 06:44 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I'll second one of the models made from Gore-Tex Shake Dry. Crazy light, packable, breathable, windproof, and waterproof.

I don't own one because I already own 3 or 4 other jackets that I'd have to toss if I got one... At first they seem expensive, until you contrast that with buying 3 or 4 different, less versatile jackets...
Third on Shakedry. If you poke around Sierra Trading Post, occasionally versions show up for $90ish, a great value.
Old 06-24-19, 10:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin
Third on Shakedry. If you poke around Sierra Trading Post, occasionally versions show up for $90ish, a great value.
Good tip! Shakedry is on my wish list.
Old 06-25-19, 08:20 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, also consider fit. I live in the mountains and one of the primary situations for me to use a lightweight jacket is to retain warmth and take the edge off of cold descents. I want a very snug fitting jacket that doesn't flap and make a lot of noise at high speed. I like Castelli jackets for that reason. Keep it stowed in a jersey pocket on the way up, and put it on at the top for a more comfortable ride down.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 06-25-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 09:44 AM
NoWhammies

The recommendations for the Shakedry are starting to win me over. But man. Those are not inexpensive jackets! Yikes!

@Clipped_in good suggestion about the flapping in the win. My vest does not have a snug fit. On long descents between the wind and the vest flapping away, it is a miracle I can hear anything at all. Sounds like your need for a jacket is similar to mine - although I do not live in the mountains. A lightweight jacket for break the wind on cool descents, not to mention helping me out if I'm caught out in a quick rain shower, is what I'm after.
Old 06-25-19, 10:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

I bought the Arc'teryx Shake Dry jacket. Love it. The articulation in the arms is perfect. Slap useful off the bike, which helps justify the price.

Shake Dry is kind of fragile though.
Old 06-25-19, 03:05 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
The recommendations for the Shakedry are starting to win me over. But man. Those are not inexpensive jackets! Yikes!

@Clipped_in good suggestion about the flapping in the win. My vest does not have a snug fit. On long descents between the wind and the vest flapping away, it is a miracle I can hear anything at all. Sounds like your need for a jacket is similar to mine - although I do not live in the mountains. A lightweight jacket for break the wind on cool descents, not to mention helping me out if I'm caught out in a quick rain shower, is what I'm after.
I would have recommended you the Ornot Magic Shell jacket, which is wind/rain proof, but it's sold out ATTM, unless you are an XS!
Old 06-26-19, 02:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pearl Izumi Barrier Select. Just a windbreaker with some mist-resistance. Cost about $20 at the outlet store. Ultra-thin and lightweight, tucks into a jersey pocket or water bottle cage.

It's not rainproof. But when soaked it's still warm because it's still reasonably windproof. Even riding in chilly weather body heat kept me warm.

The convertible version is more versatile. I think the arm zipper can be partly unzipped for ventilation.

So handy I carry it on almost every ride in autumn and winter. I've loaned it to other riders in group rides when they were underdressed. I also have a Shimano Storm Jacket for seriously cold wet rides, but it's heavy, bulky and needs a pannier or trunk bag to carry.
Old 06-26-19, 10:19 AM
NoWhammies

So after surfing the interwebs last night and speaking with Mrs. NoWhammies, this happened:

7Mesh Resistance jacket. Hopefully the jacket will serve my purposes. More cake than I was wanting to spend, but the words "buy nice or buy twice" were going through my head. So we'll see how the jacket works out for me once it arrives.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 06-26-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 10:25 AM
Seattle Forrest

Let us know how it works.

When I was younger I could walk around in the snow in shorts and a tee shirt and it didn't seem to bother me. But the cold gets colder as you age.
Old 06-26-19, 10:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
After the fact here, but my fave for many years is the Voler Jet Wind Jacket in hiviz. About the size of a Naval orange, easily fits in any of my jersey pockets. I would never wear a jacket which wouldn't go in a pocket. OTOH, PNW rider here, I don't ride in the snow, just in the rain. ~$60.
Old 06-26-19, 12:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Late to the party but if you are in the market for other jackets / clothes in the future, check out Showers Pass. This jacket is very light and compact so it can be carried more often when its use may be in doubt.

https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...ts/pro-tech-st
Old 06-26-19, 12:21 PM
NoWhammies

Damn. These are all good recommendations. And a much nicer price than the 7mesh. Live and learn!
Old 06-28-19, 11:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

One more very good option fyi.

https://zpacks.com/products/vertice-...=9136091758628

I have a sleeping bag from zpacks. It's lasted years, it's very little worthy and works beautifully. Didn't realize they name jackets too.
Old 06-29-19, 01:08 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Specialized Deflect SL. Light, easily stuffed in a jersey pocket, and just right for 8-13C clear, foggy, misty but not rain. They do make a Deflect SL rain jacket, also, but not sure if available in the US, though.
Old 07-05-19, 06:13 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
I've been using this Showers Pass jacket for several years, and I love it. Super lightweight, stores easily in a jersey pocket, and it's (mostly) waterproof.

Showers Pass Pro Tech ST Jacket

Showers Pass clear wind/rain jacket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.