Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

whats your bike workout equivalent

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

whats your bike workout equivalent

Old 10-11-19, 12:22 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Translation:
Thanks for having the "insight" to agree with the poster's opinion; as opposed to being someone/anyone who posts a different opinion, i.e. a "Troll!"
Wow
Old 10-11-19, 12:25 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by billyymc
No disagreement that running is a good workout. I wish I could run better / longer. I can't, or I don't want to.

Let's face it, even a good runner never gets the thrill of descending at 40+ mph after a long climb. And the same time spent riding takes me to a lot more places than running would.
It’s apples and oranges all disciplines have their pros and cons ... I’ve never got the cardio workout riding that I do running
Old 10-11-19, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've been playing soccer in a rec league one night a week. Games are an hour. I have no idea what the bike equivalent is, but it's excellent interval training, especially if I'm playing on the wing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-11-19, 01:19 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
NOT the biking equivalent, but on my cycling off days I just get on the treadmill and walk for about an hour while I watch the news.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-11-19, 01:39 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Also, if you restrict your exercising to gesturing and waving your arms around while spouting idiotic malevolent nonsense, maybe you too can be elected president.

He says he doesn't work out. “Don’t have to. When you’re making speeches for 25,000 people and shouting and screaming and having fun with everybody and making America great again, you get a lot of exercise.”

Last edited by Moishe; 10-11-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 02:11 PM
robnol
Banned

u must be retired
Old 10-11-19, 02:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've been playing soccer in a rec league one night a week. Games are an hour. I have no idea what the bike equivalent is, but it's excellent interval training, especially if I'm playing on the wing.
And I realized that taking up soccer has really helped me strengthen my hips. A lot of us cyclists are super strong forward/back but super weak laterally. I had developed piriformis syndrome, which caused tight IT bands, which caused hip and knee pain. Haven't had any of that since I started playing.
Old 10-11-19, 03:11 PM
robnol
Banned

And I realized that taking up soccer has really helped me strengthen my hips. A lot of us cyclists are super strong forward/back but super weak laterally. I had developed piriformis syndrome, which caused tight IT bands, which caused hip and knee pain. Haven't had any of that since I started playing.
yes another educated rider.....other ways of working out helps the ride
Old 10-11-19, 03:29 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My low level Zone 2 Endurance riding at 60-65% of my FTP is about 175 Watts. That's about 10 calories per minute. I burn about 170 calories running at a pokey 10 minute mile. So that's 17 calories per minute. So that means an hour of biking is about 35 minutes of running.

The difference is I'd rather bike than run so I'm more likely to bike for an hour than run for 35 minutes. On the other hand, running is a great way to burn calories because of its inefficiency so I might do it again now that the weather is decent.

Major plus for biking is if you can up your power output and ride, ride, ride you can burn a fair amount of calories AND you get great looking legs since the work is almost entirely legs.
Likes For guachi:
Old 10-11-19, 09:11 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by guachi
My low level Zone 2 Endurance riding at 60-65% of my FTP is about 175 Watts. That's about 10 calories per minute. I burn about 170 calories running at a pokey 10 minute mile. So that's 17 calories per minute. So that means an hour of biking is about 35 minutes of running.

The difference is I'd rather bike than run so I'm more likely to bike for an hour than run for 35 minutes. On the other hand, running is a great way to burn calories because of its inefficiency so I might do it again now that the weather is decent.

Major plus for biking is if you can up your power output and ride, ride, ride you can burn a fair amount of calories AND you get great looking legs since the work is almost entirely legs.
legs are good a scrawny upper body is bad......don't forget to hit the weights also
Old 10-12-19, 12:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
...Let's face it, even a good runner never gets the thrill of descending at 40+ mph after a long climb. And the same time spent riding takes me to a lot more places than running would.
Oh.. I dunno. Descending as fast as you can trail running single track can be pretty edge of your seat in the moment stuff.

I also SCUBA all year round and free dive in the summer

Sometimes I even use my bike to go diving

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-12-19, 01:34 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I play a lot of touch rugby (I'm getting too old for full contact) and have a similar experience. But it does depend a lot on the intensity of the game.

An hour on the bike will never tire me out as much as an hour of running.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 10-12-19, 04:58 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Rec league/pick up basketball for me.

Varied cross training is best for change of pace, overall fitness, and fun!

Hate running BTW unless a game is involved.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 10-12-19, 08:18 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Seems most people in this thread view running as a terrible experience. Keep in mind that you can also jog or slow jog; you don't have to keep a pace as if you were being chased down by a pack of rottweilers with an angry disposition.

Running has the benefit of building strong bones—due to the pounding of the pavement. Just be sure to take it safe and slow at first, and enjoy it.
Likes For bedtime:
Old 10-12-19, 08:46 AM
robnol
Banned

where are the shocks on that bike.....looks like fun to ride
Old 10-12-19, 09:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
where are the shocks on that bike.....looks like fun to ride
No shocks (yet). It replaces my old 26r that I did throw a suspension fork on. It works ok but the geometry is not as good for climbing.

I have to say, rather than dedicated workouts perse, I subscribe to the active lifestyle approach which resembles cross training I suppose.

Once you have a base of fitness it becomes easier to transition into activities by simply developing the core skills. On bikes I do long tours, commute, do road, downhill mtb, fixed gear and with the fat bike hopefully snow. I also XC ski, swim, dive, kayak, trail run, hike... and I walk for a job. Friends say I do a lot but once you have the base fitness, it's really about curiosity and challenging yourself to try something different or new. If I work out it's targeted to improve or treat specific deficiencies. I find exercise that facilitates an activity far easier to maintain than exercise for its own purpose.
Old 10-12-19, 06:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I bike more than I run, mostly because I bike commute every day, 40km round trip. I'd say that the 40 km ride is about equivalent to a 12km run for me in terms of effort, but takes about 1.7x the time.

For your reference, year to date I have over 8000 km on my bike, and 1400 km running.
Old 10-13-19, 04:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I ride all year round and I supplement my riding with cross training all year round... I do some type of physical activity every single day and very rarely take rest days.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-14-19, 01:19 PM
RISKDR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have fallen in love with Nordic Walking, or as some call it Ski Walking as a cross training activity. I can achieve about the same heart rates as cycling and it works my entire body. Cycling alone tends to be some what un balanced in its development of your body by concentrating on legs and not doing a lot for your core and upper body (other than make it tired) Nordic walking works over 90% of your bodies muscles in a dynamic way rather than isometric. Here is a nice video. Forgive the Italian language . It is very popular in Europe. It grew out of summer training for cross country skiers. Unlike running it is gentle on the joint due to the fact that using the poles tends to unweight and reduce the forces on your joints. It gives y ou a god upper body workout as well as your core.
Old 10-16-19, 04:42 AM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Rowing, biking feels so easy compared to 30 minutes on a concept2.

Also, my gym has one of those pelaton bikes now, so have taken a few spin classes. Not nearly as fun as being outdoors but it’s still enjoyable and helpful for working in specifics like skills like cadence consistency.
Old 10-16-19, 04:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Seems most people in this thread view running as a terrible experience. Keep in mind that you can also jog or slow jog; you don't have to keep a pace as if you were being chased down by a pack of rottweilers with an angry disposition.

Running has the benefit of building strong bones—due to the pounding of the pavement. Just be sure to take it safe and slow at first, and enjoy it.
Impact is both the biggest advantage and disadvantage of running. I have to do resistance training for bone density because my feet and ankles are destroyed by high impact. There's good reasons why many really good bicyclists are former runners.