Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking Questions...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking Questions...

Old 10-16-19, 07:38 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Most important part of cycling is to stick with it. The fun just keeps increasing and the downsides keep shrinking.
Old 10-16-19, 09:46 PM
cecu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
same as another poster above, I've been cycling with normal shorts and briefs for years without chafing issues.
As the OP is not complaining about chafing i don't think the bike shorts will help that much..
Old 10-17-19, 12:10 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
out of the saddle early and often

I make a point of standing out of the saddle early and often on every ride. Every slight downhill is an opportunity to stand and coast, even if for just a moment, which allows blood to flow and tissue to decompress. Within the first half mile of my rides I've already been up and off the saddle a couple times. Don't wait for pain or discomfort.

Your bike is probably a 24 speed - learn to use the front derailleur. Shift early and often.
Old 10-17-19, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by yankees2019
Unfortunately I wear boxers and performance shorts...

Will look into the seat adjustment.
I've ridden 168 mile rides in that boxer/shorts combo without any ill effect.

Not everyone needs "cycling" clothes.
Old 10-17-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by justslow
I make a point of standing out of the saddle early and often on every ride. Every slight downhill is an opportunity to stand and coast, even if for just a moment, which allows blood to flow and tissue to decompress. Within the first half mile of my rides I've already been up and off the saddle a couple times. Don't wait for pain or discomfort.

Your bike is probably a 24 speed - learn to use the front derailleur. Shift early and often.
Standing and pedalling on the uphills and even in the flats is also good. Definitely my go-to move if I'm accelerating from zero, like at a traffic light. Anything just to move around periodically. Plus, even if you're just a little bit good at it, stomping on the pedals is pretty fun.