Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The "other" 1990 DiamondBack Centurion Interval thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The "other" 1990 DiamondBack Centurion Interval thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 07:45 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Red bar tape, yes. The red cables would be too much.
Old 10-05-19, 01:51 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Had a small set back, after grinding away a fair amount of the steerer tube's front bottom edge, to the point I was getting into the weld, the 700 X 28 tire STILL rubbed! I ordered a pair of 700 X 25 Continental Ultra Sport II's with thin red sidewalls. I took the original Kenda Kwest 700 X 32's on an old set of 29er MTB wheels and mocked them up in my '84 Schwinn Tempo frame and they have all kinds of room in it.
Old 10-05-19, 02:13 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, looks awesome. I have a 87 pink and yellow Ironman and I’m browsing for ideas of what to do with it. This is inspiring.
Likes For Namnad510:
Old 10-05-19, 02:41 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Namnad510
Wow, looks awesome. I have a 87 pink and yellow Ironman and I’m browsing for ideas of what to do with it. This is inspiring.
Love those "Miami Vice" Centurions, I've never come across one around here for sale in my size but if I ever do I'll probably snag it if it's priced right.
Old 10-05-19, 02:57 PM
Namnad510

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Love those "Miami Vice" Centurions, I've never come across one around here for sale in my size but if I ever do I'll probably snag it if it's priced right.
Yes, mine is only a 58cm, so I think it would be too small for you. I need to post mine in the Valuation forum because I don’t know what it is worth. I got it in 1996 secondhand, and the original owner upgraded many of the parts.
Old 10-05-19, 06:52 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
The shop I ghost at just got in a Diamond Back Master TG for me to clean up and sell to the hobos. It has the black smoke scheme with Shimano 105sc group, DT shifting.

Cant wait to tackle it. Sized at 58.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 10-05-19, 10:12 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The shop I ghost at just got in a Diamond Back Master TG for me to clean up and sell to the hobos. It has the black smoke scheme with Shimano 105sc group, DT shifting.

Like mine.
Old 10-13-19, 03:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Red sidewall Contis came and I got them mounted............ not sure I'm loving them but if they stay the bar tape will definitely be black. They add about as much red as I think I can take. No pictures yet. The BB bearings are soaking, when I pulled them out there was a staple stuck to the drive side bearings. ??? There were virtually no signs of wear on the cups, bearings or axle, once the BB is back in I'll push to get it done. I've been working on other stuff like our tandem and the wife's 3 wheeler. I bought the 3 wheeler last year to flip but she put dibs on it as soon as I got it home then only rode it once. Now with Winter just around the corner she decided we should sell it..... I hope it sells quick because it takes up a lot of floor space.
Old 10-14-19, 04:43 PM
Murray Missile 

A little progress made.

Looking a little more like a bicycle, I'm liking the red sidewalls a "little" better. It's a crappy picture, it looks better in different lighting

Old 10-14-19, 05:39 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow

...wait the hobos have enough scratch to buy Ironman's? maybe I am in the wrong line of work
Old 10-20-19, 06:43 PM
Murray Missile 

Thought I was going to be riding it this weekend but then I discovered I didn't have any road brake cables! Well, not any I wanted to put on this, I have one set but they're el cheapos, this deserves decent cables. The chain is on and the derailleurs are all hooked up and adjusted, just waiting for the brake cable wires to come then I can hook up the brakes and try it out. Once I get the bar and brifter positions dialed in I'll wrap the bars and get some pictures. The red sidewalls are growing on me, I'm also glad I went with the platinum cable housings, they go nicely with the red and black. My wife has commented more than once how much she liked it, usually they get, "That's nice." which is really good but this one got a "Wow, that's really sharp!" and then "I really like that." To get a reaction like that from her over one of my bikes is huge. The only other time I got that type of reaction was the hybrid I built for her a few years ago.

Old 10-25-19, 04:48 PM
Murray Missile 

I RODE IT TONIGHT!!!! Still have some adjustments to make, some adhesive residue to clean up on the brake calipers and wrap the handlebars then I'll get some pictures. I haven't ridden a bike with frame geometry like this in a long, long time so it will take some getting used to but it feels really good so far. The red sidewalls aren't quite so prominent now that everything else is on and I think the braided platinum cable housings were the right choice.
Old 10-25-19, 06:57 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
We look forward to pictures! I am looking at those same tires for a Red Specialized Allez I am rebuilding, I think 25c is about the max it will take.
Old 10-26-19, 12:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Just as I rolled it out to take pics it started to sprinkle so I snapped these quickly. If the sun comes out tomorrow I'll get my wife to get some better shots, she's the photographer in the family.

Old 10-26-19, 02:16 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Just as I rolled it out to take pics it started to sprinkle so I snapped these quickly. If the sun comes out tomorrow I'll get my wife to get some better shots, she's the photographer in the family.

That's really nice! The red/white/black is such a 90s aesthetic.
Old 10-26-19, 05:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
There are some serious, very serious carbon Diamondback racing bikes. Yeah, I'd like one.
I got a Diamondback Podium 5 from a friend who only wanted the components -- the frame was the wrong size for him. Looks good, very lightweight, good reviews. I'm guessing it's around 5 years old or so, judging from the design and what I've been able to find from Diamondback's promotional materials and videos.

For now it's just the frame, fork, original headset and crankset, and seat post. I'm cobbling it together from bits and pieces, just enough to see how it rides before deciding whether to commit to building it up with good lightweight components and wheels. My trial assembly version is gonna be weird because the only components I have that will work include an older Nitto handlebar, Shimano 10-speed bar-end shifters, and Shimano 600 Tricolor brakeset. But it'll be enough to get it running and get a feel for the bike. I suppose I could cannibalize the threadless stem, bar and brifters from the Trekenstein, but I don't want to mess up a perfectly good bike that already suits me just to experiment with another.

So far I'm impressed. The internal cable routing is really easy to redo. Unlike some frames with internal cable routing, there's no need for magnets or special long tools to snag cables and housings to fish them through the frame while cussing for hours.

The original FSA headset doesn't get much respect from Hambini, the bearing guru with a hilariously biting YouTube channel, but it appears to be a very good design that would be easy to replace with a "better" brand if I'm so inclined. Easy to disassemble, inspect and reassemble.

If you can find a Diamondback Podium frame in good shape for a reasonable price it'd be worth a try.
Old 11-03-19, 01:39 PM
Murray Missile 

Got in a little more saddle time but I didn't go far, we had 4 inches of snow 3 days ago and they got a little salt happy so I avoided main roads which limited my range considerably. I think I need to scoot the saddle forward just a bit and/or a little shorter reach on the stem but otherwise it feels REALLY good! A little twitchy at slow speeds but once you pick up the pace it is very stable and has a very smooth ride. The shifters were a little stiff at first but they're smoothing out, the R8's on my GT Karakoram were the same way. It's a definite keeper.
Old 03-24-20, 08:40 PM
OldManJones

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Interval TG

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it looks great overall, but since you added the red gumwall tires I've been wondering what it would look like without the wheel decals. I think if you ever had all black wheels it'd look cleaner and meaner-like my wife after her morning shower.
Old 03-25-20, 05:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by OldManJones
I think it looks great overall, but since you added the red gumwall tires I've been wondering what it would look like without the wheel decals. I think if you ever had all black wheels it'd look cleaner and meaner-like my wife after her morning shower.
Thank you, it rides even better! The tires aren't red gumwalls though, they just have a thin red stripe on the sidewall. I photo shopped the wheel decals out and the wheels looked too plain against the rest of it. I think it needs something in between the rollling billboards on it now and plain black but it will have to stay as is for quite awhile, other bikes are crying for attention.