Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bertoni?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 11:57 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Bertoni?

Any idea on model/year and value for this Bertoni? Sorry, this is the only pic I have.

Old 08-29-19, 01:35 PM
Thee_ogArcadia

Bikes: 1990 Fuji Arcadia,07 bianchi pista, centurion cinelli equipe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if this is of any help really but,
if it is Columbus matrix tubing I Believe, I just seen same thing with Shimano 600 groupset for about 100 dollars at swap meet
Old 08-29-19, 01:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...Bertoni is one of those american direct import house brands for frames built in Italy under contract. Not sure where they were painted. They generally go relatively cheaply here, given the overall quality of many of the best ones. They even sold some Bertoni branded Alan aluminum frames. That one looks rough, but the frame details look OK.

Univega is a brand of bicycles, created during the bike boom of the 1970s by Ben Lawee (1926–2002),[1] who founded Lawee Inc. to design, specify, and import bicycles initially manufactured in Italy by Italvega, and subsequently in Japan by Miyata.

Prior to creating the Univega brand, Lawee had been the importer of Motobécane bicycles in the U.S. and had created the Italvega in Italy. His Bertoni brand appeared after the creation of Univega.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univega
Old 08-29-19, 01:48 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Catalogs can be found online. I have had several of these go through my hands. I had one in this color and it looks nice. It's a nice rider. More pics, details, location needed for accurate value. Market is soft as you may be aware.
Old 08-29-19, 02:32 PM
kross57

Thanks to all!
Old 08-29-19, 02:33 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
C. 1987 Bertoni Nuovoitalia,
Old 08-30-19, 04:50 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2437 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Didn't another company make most Bertonis...? Like Chesini...or something?
Old 08-31-19, 10:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Bertoni bikes are good solid bikes but I don't think they were around long enough to acquire a bike following. The mid level CroMor and SL frames with 600 seemed to be midly popular and most common. I would buy one to check them out, if I ever came across one in my size.

In I believe '92 Univega didn't go to interbike or something so they had this big ta doo at the Mansfield Mass warehouse complex. They had some beautiful Bertoni frames on display including a MAX in a paint scheme reminiscent of some Italy's finest like Tommisini.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Bertoni is one of those american direct import house brands for frames built in Italy under contract. Not sure where they were painted. They generally go relatively cheaply here, given the overall quality of many of the best ones. They even sold some Bertoni branded Alan aluminum frames. That one looks rough, but the frame details look OK.
They were a boutique brand of Univega

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Didn't another company make most Bertonis...? Like Chesini...or something?
It is my understanding that Bianchi was a contractor for some of the frames, particularly the ones with flatish seat stays.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-31-19, 11:58 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Bertoni bikes are good solid bikes but I don't think they were around long enough to acquire a bike following. The mid level CroMor and SL frames with 600 seemed to be midly popular and most common. I would buy one to check them out, if I ever came across one in my size.

In I believe '92 Univega didn't go to interbike or something so they had this big ta doo at the Mansfield Mass warehouse complex. They had some beautiful Bertoni frames on display including a MAX in a paint scheme reminiscent of some Italy's finest like Tommisini.

They were a boutique brand of Univega

It is my understanding that Bianchi was a contractor for some of the frames, particularly the ones with flatish seat stays.
This is from wikipedia. I have no idea how accurate it is:

Bertoni

Bertoni was a brand created by Ben Lawee circa-1980. The frames were manufactured in Italy by Daccordi, sometimes mistakenly assigned to Bianchi, which had no connection to the Bertoni brand other than Ben Lawee's Bianchi imports during the 1960s. Earlier Bertonis have frame details that are similar to the Torresini-made Italvegas. The 1984 and later steel frames do not bear the typical Torresini details. These "second series" frames all utilized Columbus tubesets of Matrix, SL or SLX type tubing and featured Columbus "short point" lugs and Cinelli-type Columbus bottom brackets & semi-sloping fork crowns. Seat stay lugs were Gipiemme, brazed into the contour of the rear quarters of the seat tube lug. Other braze-ons were also Gipiemme, including the two styles of brake stay bridges used, depending on the model, and the induction-cast "box arch" chainstay bridge which was common to all steel Bertonis, with the exception of the TSX model - the frame of which was obviously the Daccordi Griffe, but with Bertoni inscriptions and decals. Dropouts were forged Columbus on the lower/mid range and Campagnolo for the upscale models. The line emphasized function over flash (except for the "flash" of the 'cromovelato' - thin paint over chrome - paint jobs) and received favorable press regarding overall functionality and quality, as well as the ride/handling of the steel-frame models. The line itself was fairly large, comprising nine bicycles in 1988. The range included a disc-wheeled TT bicycle and a Bador (Vitus) aluminum model.
Old 10-20-19, 02:11 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
This is from wikipedia. I have no idea how accurate it is:

Bertoni

Bertoni was a brand created by Ben Lawee circa-1980. The frames were manufactured in Italy by Daccordi, sometimes mistakenly assigned to Bianchi, which had no connection to the Bertoni brand other than Ben Lawee's Bianchi imports during the 1960s. Earlier Bertonis have frame details that are similar to the Torresini-made Italvegas. The 1984 and later steel frames do not bear the typical Torresini details. These "second series" frames all utilized Columbus tubesets of Matrix, SL or SLX type tubing and featured Columbus "short point" lugs and Cinelli-type Columbus bottom brackets & semi-sloping fork crowns. Seat stay lugs were Gipiemme, brazed into the contour of the rear quarters of the seat tube lug. Other braze-ons were also Gipiemme, including the two styles of brake stay bridges used, depending on the model, and the induction-cast "box arch" chainstay bridge which was common to all steel Bertonis, with the exception of the TSX model - the frame of which was obviously the Daccordi Griffe, but with Bertoni inscriptions and decals. Dropouts were forged Columbus on the lower/mid range and Campagnolo for the upscale models. The line emphasized function over flash (except for the "flash" of the 'cromovelato' - thin paint over chrome - paint jobs) and received favorable press regarding overall functionality and quality, as well as the ride/handling of the steel-frame models. The line itself was fairly large, comprising nine bicycles in 1988. The range included a disc-wheeled TT bicycle and a Bador (Vitus) aluminum model.
Was Daccordi still contract building them unto the mid '90s?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-20-19, 02:49 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Was Daccordi still contract building them unto the mid '90s?
No clue, b-girl. You would know better than I.
Old 10-20-19, 04:16 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
There was a Bertoni model that looked *very much* like a Griffe, including paint effects. As for other Bertonis I fail to see the Daccordi resemblance.
Old 10-20-19, 10:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
They generally go relatively cheaply here, given the overall quality of many of the best ones.
I just picked up my first, a Bertoni Superlight. I'm impressed with its quality. Beautiful, long lugs and almost perfect paint, even after some 40 years.

But it should be no surprise. Lawee didn't half ass it.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-22-19, 11:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I just picked up my first, a Bertoni Superlight. I'm impressed with its quality. Beautiful, long lugs and almost perfect paint, even after some 40 years.

But it should be no surprise. Lawee didn't half ass it.
I look forward to seeing it; every Bertoni I've ever seen has been a jewel of a frame.

What color did you get?

DD
Old 10-22-19, 12:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I What color did you get?
Same color blue as my Paramount. I've added some red accents. Just finished it yesterday. Pics to come...
Likes For SurferRosa: