Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Compatible, Silver/Polished, hubs: looking for opinions and recommendations.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy Compatible, Silver/Polished, hubs: looking for opinions and recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 07:01 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

EDIT: If anyone can find a picture of the 2007 Campagnolo Hubs, I'd appriciate it! Specifically, Chorus level.

---------------------
As some of you all have heard I'm going to be restoring my Gazelle next spring with a modern Campy 10sp group. I've starte stashing away a few parts now such as an alloy Record crank and non-spider Campy brakes.

Now I'm looking at hubs for the wheels. I'm going for a traditional wheel build, either 28 front or 32 rear, or dual 32 spoke. And along with many other changes for 2007, the new style Hubs don't look near as nice as 2006 models (IMHO).

So, I've looked at White Industires H1's, but at over $320 for just the hubs they may be out of my price range for this build, 2006 Campy Veloce, Centuar, and Chorus, and a few others.

Should I try to get my hands on a set of 2006 Campy hubs now, or are there comperable quality, price and visual appealing hubs out there that I will be able to use come April/May?

Last edited by cuda2k; 10-03-06 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 08:02 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=HU9278

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=HU9434

or even better prices here

https://eurobikeparts.com/products.ph...74b1fe46fbd30f

or just buy these

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=56094156
Old 09-24-06, 08:15 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

totalcycling.com has better prices yet for the 06 Campy stuff. Question is, are there other choices out there that are equally good looking, working, at simular prices?

Anyone have the SpeedCific Preception hub in silver that they have a photo of? All I've found are photos of the black.
Old 09-24-06, 08:32 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I was pushing you towards U.S. suppliers, in case you have any return issues.

I wouldn't say the Speedcifics have a very "classic" design, rather "industrial" looking to me.
Old 09-24-06, 08:39 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
I wouldn't say the Speedcifics have a very "classic" design, rather "industrial" looking to me.
I've only seen the blacks, but you do have a point there. I love the look of the H1's, but not in love with the price. Then again, this is going to be my *good* wheel set on the bike that will likely get 75-90% of my miles.
Old 09-24-06, 08:51 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1. The Campy hubs have a much better look to them over the Speedcifics that would fit into your entire scheme much better. If you are interested in the H1's, they can be had for less than $320. My last wheelset build using H1 hubs (steel freehub instead of titanium for cost savings) only ran me ~$400.

The set OP/Record wheelset at performance, that someone linked to earlier, looks like a great deal also.

When I was running Campy on one of my bikes I was using some Veloce hubs. They were very solid and smooth. I don't remember what I did with them since I stopped using Campy. If I still have them, you can have them because I never intend on ever running Campy again. I will look through my stuff this week.
Old 09-24-06, 08:53 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinmcdade
+1. The Campy hubs have a much better look to them over the Speedcifics that would fit into your entire scheme much better. If you are interested in the H1's, they can be had for less than $320. My last wheelset build using H1 hubs (steel freehub instead of titanium for cost savings) only ran me ~$400.

The set OP/Record wheelset at performance, that someone linked to earlier, looks like a great deal also.

When I was running Campy on one of my bikes I was using some Veloce hubs. They were very solid and smooth. I don't remember what I did with them since I stopped using Campy. If I still have them, you can have them because I never intend on ever running Campy again. I will look through my stuff this week.
Blasphemy!
Old 09-24-06, 09:02 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://whiteind.com/road_hubs.html

I have these laced to OP rims

roll nice and they're lighter than record hubs
Old 09-24-06, 09:12 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blasphemy!
LOL!!! I tried both and chose the one that I like the best. IMO both are great, I just feel more comfortable with Shimano. The hoods were the deciding factor. I could never get a comfortable position on the Campy hoods.
Old 09-24-06, 09:31 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Open Pro/Record combos look to be a great price. Ebay even has a slightly better price on them.

Here is a set with a buy it now option

Bidding options may be cheaper or Open Pro Chorus hub combos
Old 09-24-06, 09:56 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I run Ultegra/Open Pros on the Gazelle now as it is currently built. I like the Open Pro look, but as others will agree there are other rims out there that have all the benifits of the OP without some of the downsides. I'm planning to use Velocity Aerohead rims, they seem to fit my requirements the best of any I've found thus far.
Old 09-24-06, 09:59 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the down sides to Open Pros? I'm not knowing.....
Old 09-24-06, 10:00 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

P.S. - if Kevin likes Shimano more than Campy, and thats what works for him, then more power to him. Anyone who is good enough to pull my sorry but against a 15-20mph headwind in 90+ degree weather can ride any gear he wants as long as he keeps pulling.

Viper: I'm mostly looking for something with a slightly more aero profile. Not a deepV by any means, but the OP is pretty boxy. The profile of the Aerohead is a stronger design, and 20g lighter. Granted, 20g isn't a whole lot, but for the strength advantage it is.

oh, and then there's the perodic Mavic Open Pro "creak, ping, noise" that is often reported, esp in older rims. I haven't had anything but happy things to report about mine thus far. Just looking for something different.
Old 09-24-06, 10:05 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, and if you already have a set of OP, then something like the Aero Head sounds like a good choice for something more progressive.

Howabout a set of King Hubs if you're looking for something different looking?
Old 09-24-06, 10:25 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

re: King hubs -

I do have a budget.

I'm doing this build as my Master's graduation present, and since I didn't go into debt going through 7 years of collage, I'd rather not go into debt building the present bike.

Next I've got to find a Dallas area photographer and cyclist to match Viper and 55/Rad's photo spreads.
Old 09-24-06, 10:36 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
re: King hubs -

I do have a budget.

I'm doing this build as my Master's graduation present, and since I didn't go into debt going through 7 years of collage, I'd rather not go into debt building the present bike.

Next I've got to find a Dallas area photographer and cyclist to match Viper and 55/Rad's photo spreads.
The Kings are slightly less than $320 you stated for the White Industries

You have it in you for good photos, just be mindfull of details and lighting, look for simple backgrounds and you'll be fine

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-24-06 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 11:01 PM
sbornia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, King hubs won't take Campy cassettes.

+1 for the White H1 hubs if you can stretch your budget. I've put about 2k miles on a set, and they ride great. White stuff is also very user-serviceable.
Old 09-24-06, 11:03 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbornia
FWIW, King hubs won't take Campy cassettes.

+1 for the White H1 hubs if you can stretch your budget. I've put about 2k miles on a set, and they ride great. White stuff is also very user-serviceable.
You learn something new everyday....
Old 09-24-06, 11:10 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I didn't know that about King hubs either. Indeed, there is always something new to learn about the sport and the equipment.

I think I'm going to go with the White H1's. It will be easier for me to spend the $$ later instead of getting the 06 style now. And with the H1's, I have the option of going 28 spokes in the front.

You all are great, and terrible (for my wallet) all at the same time. Remind me not to ask about seat posts next. I'll end up back looking for Campy Ti posts.
Old 09-25-06, 12:11 PM
MattC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set built with the LTA's that are shimano and they are great hubs. Not sure what the difference is to the h1'S
Old 09-25-06, 01:10 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grasschopper said in his trials the Campy shifters worked well with a Shimano cassettes, so the King hubs are still an option

Old 09-25-06, 01:14 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Viper, you have a link to more details on Grasschopper's experiments? I'll still likely get a Campy hub and Campy cassette for the primary wheelset, but there's always the option of having a cheaper backup set around.

Sent Kevin's wheelbuilder an email this morning asking for some price quotes. I'll keep you all updated.
Old 09-25-06, 01:34 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Viper, you have a link to more details on Grasschopper's experiments? I'll still likely get a Campy hub and Campy cassette for the primary wheelset, but there's always the option of having a cheaper backup set around.
It wasn't a very detailed experiment really. I has just finished up a shop ride last weekend and had the rear wheel off my bike for a truing and so I grabbed the Mavic SSL Shimano wheel off of one of the shop guys bikes and slapped it in my frame. Tuned up the RD and tried it and honestly I almost think it shifted better than my Campy wheel...for sure it worked and didn't make any more noise nor did it jump around or mis shift.

I was interested because the USPS wheel set I bought is Shimano splined and I was going to just buy a Shimano cassette as I had previously heard it would work...but now I am going to just sell the wheels...well if I ever get around to putting them on eBay.
Old 09-25-06, 07:22 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Quite interesting, quite interesting indeed.
Old 10-03-06, 10:23 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

*bump* see original post - looking for 07 Chorus Hub image. thanks!