Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yoga and Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Yoga and Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 08:52 AM
Kuma
hamster with funny pants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yoga and Cycling

Well, I've done something that I never thought I'd do -- my wife and I have signed up for a yoga class! We're in the basic, vanilla, beginning class, but even so, it is challenging, at least for me. I've heard that yoga can be very good for cycling, and given all the stretching of the lower back and the legs we've been doing, I can imagine that's true. I've only been to two classes, though, so there's not enough experience to see any difference yet. Has anyone else done this before and had positive (or negative) experiences? Are there any positions you'd particularly recommend for cyclists? Are there any you'd recommend staying away from?
Old 10-04-06, 09:05 AM
Japhy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a time when I did Yoga most everyday for a couple years. I never did find another teacher that I liked so I haven't done it in an organized fashion in awhile...but I still have my mat and use many of the poses (or modifications of them) frequently when I warm up and cool down...and a good 1/2 hour session is great when I'm a little sore after a good workout. Not to delve into the personal, but it is also a great way to spend time with your wife/partner...spending this positive time together most certainly stregthed our relationship as well as my body. So, yes!

I think other benefits are that you really get in tune with your body: where you are natually tight or loose, how to keep your shoulders down, posture, and will certianly inform your training. The only piece of advice is be patient with it...the "results" come slowly...you can't measure it like your LT, VO2max, etc...pay attention to what poses feel good and remember them; even do them at home as a warm up or cool down. Stick with it for at least a year, I'd say. And buy an inexpensive mat for home. My wife has recently done a lot of physical therapy and has remarked how that most of the exercises are variations of yoga poses.

Good luck!
J
Old 10-04-06, 09:08 AM
munkyv22
You got Madoned!

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Yoga as in life, do what works for you.

I really like downward dog. Gets the legs and back and arms and shoulders. I feel all warm and fuzzy afterwards.
Old 10-04-06, 09:36 AM
TickDoc

Bikes: 2011 ciocc san cristobal. 2008 seven odonata. 1951 condor m05. 1990 ciocc San cristobal 2012 cervelo s3. 2001 Colnago ct-1. 1990 Concorde Astore.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well said....

It is a great way to stretch, and helps you feel better all over.

I have never done organized Yoga, but used to use a Yoga DVD with my wife and I was amazed at how refreshed I felt afterwards.

Another great aspect is that there are so many poses that will work certain groups, allowing you to really work on sertain muscle groups.
Old 10-04-06, 09:45 AM
sbornia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During the fall and winter, I go to a Bikram (hot) yoga class twice a week. It's a great complement to cycling, and has increased my flexibility significantly.

If your yoga studio offers an early morning class (like 6am early), give it a shot. It might be hard to get up, but I find it energizes me for the rest of the day.
Old 10-04-06, 09:47 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use 2 DVD's occasionally. One is called "Yoga for Cyclists," and the other is called "Yoga Conditioning for Athletes" from Gaiam. Both are nice, and the "Yoga for Cyclists" DVD has a shorter session that's great right after a ride.
Old 10-04-06, 10:08 AM
Chad's Colnago
Space for rent!

Bikes: Colnago Dream B-Stay, Trek Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same DVD. I don't get into the whole spritual aspects of Yoga, but I do appreciate what yoga has done for me physically.
Old 10-04-06, 09:26 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been spending some time doing Cyclo-Zen, which is yoga based but cycling specific. It's already helped my back.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 10-04-06, 11:26 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I use 2 DVD's occasionally. One is called "Yoga for Cyclists," and the other is called "Yoga Conditioning for Athletes" from Gaiam. Both are nice, and the "Yoga for Cyclists" DVD has a shorter session that's great right after a ride.
Big +1 on the Yoga Conditioning for Athletes from Gaiam. Great for those who are time constrained or don't care for a full practice.

I've been practicing yoga for 3 years now and it definitely helps with cycling. I stopped my daily practice for a few months this year because of time constraint and started noticing little aches and cramping on hard rides. Found the time for a short but daily practice of mostly sun salutation and some warrior poses and all is well again.
Old 10-05-06, 04:30 AM
rainmann
Mr. Mike

Bikes: Trek 330, Bianchi 928 Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yoga is a great way to learn about you breathing, and it will also help you to focus on what you are doing. I have been practicing yoga for about 11 years. I started yoga because I have a tight muscle structure and it has made a big difference in my cycling and my everyday life. Often on rides I will focus in on what I am doing at that moment and will often not be able to recall parts of the ride. I think it help you to get into that zone where you become one with the bike and it just becomes part of you and you just ride. One piece of advice would be to talk to the instructor and let them know that you are a cyclist. They will usualy incorporate some poses to help with the areas that all cyclist have trouble with.
Old 10-05-06, 09:05 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has done a ton for my core strength and flexibility...which mostly points out that I had some work to do in that area to begin with so YMMV. So my bike handling got a lot better right off the bat. What I have noticed since then is the continuing improvement in terms of my aero positioning and comfort.