Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

metal/chrome cleaning and refurbishing tips

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 11:12 AM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

what is the best way to clean up old parts (stems, brakes, etc) that are all dirty and stingy from years of use or non-use.

post your favorite techniques/tips to get things looking nice.
Old 08-02-09, 06:45 PM
twentysixtwo
Endurance junkie

Bikes: '93 GT Pantera, '03 Fuji Marseille, '05 Klein Attitude, Dahon Impulse, Bike Friday Family Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically start with 0000 steel wool and paint thinner then go to Simichrome metal polish.

I swear by Nitrile rubber gloves when cleaning or polishing metal. Save your skin.
Old 08-02-09, 07:04 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Do a search on rust and oxalic acid if you are dealing with rusty chrome. Many, many, threads on this topic and lots of good info out there.
Old 08-03-09, 01:51 PM
Motofan

Bikes: 1982 Motobecane Mirage Sport, 1982 Motobecane Randonnee, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The old trick of cleaning rusty chrome with a ball of aluminum foil dipped in lemon jiuce works pretty well - the aluminum won't scratch the chrome, and the lemon juice/aluminum combination provides some galvanic action to remove the rust. Here's a before and after look at a brake caliper from the Columbia roadster I'm working on:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1080937.jpg (94.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg
P1080945.jpg (77.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-03-09, 03:09 PM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
someone here gave me the tip to use WD-40 to start the cleaning, as it cures a bunch of ills.
indeed WD-40 will help remove a lot of built up grime, but it is 50% mineral spirts (Heptane) and it's cheaper to put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle. (in the EU WD-40 is mostly Naphtha which is related)

Mineral Spirits
Simple Green
Chromax Metal Polish

I keep some Sterling's Magic around to tackle things that are extra delicate.
has someone figured out how to wash a Schwinn without removing the white detailing?
Old 08-03-09, 04:04 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EraserGirl
someone here gave me the tip to use WD-40 to start the cleaning, as it cures a bunch of ills.
indeed WD-40 will help remove a lot of built up grime, but it is 50% mineral spirts (Heptane) and it's cheaper to put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle. (in the EU WD-40 is mostly Naphtha which is related)

Mineral Spirits
Simple Green
Chromax Metal Polish

I keep some Sterling's Magic around to tackle things that are extra delicate.
has someone figured out how to wash a Schwinn without removing the white detailing?
Thanks for the tips EraserGirl. I'm currently living in Natick and used to go to UMass Lowell. Methuen isn't too far from there.