Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

being told your bike is a peice is disheartening...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 07:19 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i went to a LBS close to my place cuz i was thinking of getting a new stem and handle bars...
bottom line, he told me to stop spending money on my bike, my bike is pretty much crap, save my money and ride it into the ground.
i mean i know my bike is crap but yah :\ fixed my derailleur for free tho....
Raleigh Matterhorn...im disappointed in you today...more than usual
Old 08-06-09, 07:41 PM
ilmooz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That might be the last visit I paid to that shop. Junk or not, for whatever reasons you have if you'd rather upgrade than buy a new bike they should be working with you.

Then again, I haven't seen your bike. If it's damaged or in such disrepair that it's a danger to ride then you might have been given some good, honest advice. Harsh, maybe, but nevertheless it might be worth evaluating.
Old 08-06-09, 07:45 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Could be several things going on. One is, they may be more interested in high end work, or in selling you a new bike. Or, it could be a safety issue as pointed out. It could be a matter of not wanting to fix something knowing it's going to go wrong again promptly. It could be that they just feel like they'd be doing you a disservice by taking your money and working on it.
Old 08-06-09, 07:49 PM
annc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt it's a safety issue if the he told you to "ride it into the ground." Perhaps he was trying to tell you that the new stem would be worth more than the entire bike?
Old 08-06-09, 08:36 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I've been told my vintage PUCH A-D Steyr built with Reynold's 531 double-butted frame & fork, with Campy SR crankset and so forth - in mint condition - was too old to ride safely anymore. Then the ****er tried to sell me some piece of flashy garbage or other. I didn't pay attention to this dork. I just wanted a patch-kit. That shop is inept and crooked. I wouldn't trust them to build a tricycle for a 5 year old.
Old 08-06-09, 11:10 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...I half expect that kind of service with my shed-fresh Nishiki!

Course, only been to the Re-cycle sorta place, and one of the LBS's, need to take the bike back to where it was originally from!
Old 08-06-09, 11:27 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Awww that's messed up. I would never go back there if I were you. It would be different if the bike is dangerous but apparently not.

Granted he was being honest with HIS personal opinion, it doesn't justify him insulting you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-06-09, 11:32 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
My PUCH is a frame-set from Austria in 1982-3. I've been building and rebuilding it ever since. People's eyes pop out of their head when they look at it. Quite frankly, it's beautiful. That ****er at the LBS was reading off a script. If I'd wheeled in a $10,000 carbon Whatzit, his monologue wouldn't have changed.

As I was standing in line, a guy asked me if I'd bought it here (I'd wheeled it through the door and half-rode it to the part's counter). I looked at him and laughed. I said: "I wouldn't let these idiots so much as put air in my tires."

By the way, those new Park Tool glueless patches are great!
Old 08-07-09, 01:16 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OP's bicycle is selling for a cool CDN$99 at Canadian Tire atm. I guess that LBS is too good for the bike? I won't shop there even if I have a Madone! That kinda attitude will never get my business.
Old 08-07-09, 05:41 AM
underdonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, they wanted you to buy a new bike from them. Last time I would visit the store.
Old 08-07-09, 05:57 AM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am going to have to chime in fro the owner here. We have had to explain to customersthat there bike is not worth fixing. Why put a hundred bucks in parts in a bike that costs 70.00 retail and then figure in the price of labor. (not saying you bars and stem was 100.000). Somwtimes ths stuff isnt worth it.
Old 08-07-09, 06:25 AM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is it worth it to put a $100 in parts on a bike that cost $70.00? If the buyer is going to sell the bike, then the answer is no. But if the buyer is going to ride the bike, then the answer might well be yes.

I have a feeling that the real problem is that LBS shops can't pay their bills on customers who spend $25 every 6 months or so. But if the bike shop's business model is squeezing 3, 4,5 hundred bucks out of people who didn't really need (or want) to, then they are crooked.
Old 08-07-09, 06:34 AM
TryingMyBest

Bikes: Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milice
I am going to have to chime in fro the owner here. We have had to explain to customersthat there bike is not worth fixing. Why put a hundred bucks in parts in a bike that costs 70.00 retail and then figure in the price of labor. (not saying you bars and stem was 100.000). Somwtimes ths stuff isnt worth it.
Because the alternative is buying a $2,000 bike?

This is where Americans are having problems. They buy cars every 3 years instead of keep cars for 10+ years.
Old 08-07-09, 06:43 AM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TryingMyBest
Who said any thing about buying a 2000 dollar bike?
Not me.
Old 08-07-09, 07:45 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
So explain it to the customer and let them decide what they want to spend their money on. I ride an old Raleigh Sports beater with a brand new Brooks saddle that cost more than 5 times what the bike did, so I guess I am an idiot? BTW nothing says the parts I put an old beater bike today won't end up on a new build tomorrow

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-07-09, 08:43 AM
TryingMyBest

Bikes: Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who said any thing about buying a 2000 dollar bike?
Not me.
So what do you think the alternative is? A $1,000 bike? A $700 bike? You tell me.
Old 08-07-09, 09:33 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Having been in the automotive repair for 30+ years, it can be a fine line to walk telling a customer their car just isn't worth what it will cost to repair it. The LBS guy didn't walk that line very well. That said, there was a message that had to be delivered and he delivered it.
Old 08-07-09, 09:52 AM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embrace it!

my 95 trek is beaten and unsexy and i watched the boys at the LBS make a face when i had them replace the shifters. so i used my cafepress account to make a sticker for it
"My other bike is a 'p o s' too." if my bike was actually WORTH anything, i'd have to sell it.

think of it as a great bike in disguise.
Old 08-07-09, 10:00 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
From what I can tell, the Matterhorn is pretty low-end, and I agree with the bike-shop-dude's advice. I don't think I'd personally spend money on new stem and handlebars for it. If you find used stem and handlebars for free, that's an option I might consider. I figure a low-end stem+handlebar+labor at LBS prices would be $60 minimum. That really should go into a savings account for a new bike.

Fixing your derailleur for free is unbeatable service. I'd return to that shop ALL the time.

I guess it kinda depends on the reason you're looking for new bar/stem. Current ones broken, don't fit right, you just don't like 'em????
Old 08-07-09, 10:10 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
I kinda like having what most consider a ***. Most folks see the Mongoose name and figure my Mongoose is a piece, but it's one of the sweetest MTB frames I've ever ridden.
Old 08-07-09, 10:17 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
So explain it to the customer and let them decide what they want to spend their money on. I ride an old Raleigh Sports beater with a brand new Brooks saddle that cost more than 5 times what the bike did, so I guess I am an idiot? BTW nothing says the parts I put an old beater bike today won't end up on a new build tomorrow

Aaron
Well Said.
Attached is a photo of my 1982 Peugeot P8 ($40 from a thrift store). The only original things on it are the frame/fork, BB, post and headset. The new parts on it regularly migrate from bike to bike. Buying new parts and putting them on an old bike that you love is fun and often makes the most sense. Plus, the parts are easily swapped to another bike later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1982%20Peugeot.jpg (97.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-07-09, 10:34 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the LBS offered good advice in my opinion. The same advice can be true for cars too. Sure, you can avoid payments while driving an older payed for car, but you can also get nailed with monthly repairs for older cars too.
Old 08-07-09, 10:35 AM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why put a hundred bucks in parts in a bike that costs 70.00 retail and then figure in the price of labor.
The first answer that comes to mind is for sentimental reasons. There could be any number of reasons why a bike's sentimental value could far exceed monetary value. That's for no one but the owner to judge.
Old 08-07-09, 10:36 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
I've been told my vintage PUCH A-D Steyr built with Reynold's 531 double-butted frame & fork, with Campy SR crankset and so forth - in mint condition - was too old to ride safely anymore. Then the ****er tried to sell me some piece of flashy garbage or other. I didn't pay attention to this dork. I just wanted a patch-kit. That shop is inept and crooked. I wouldn't trust them to build a tricycle for a 5 year old.
why were you wheeling your bike around an LBS if you only wanted a patch kit? Park bike outside store, get patch kit and leave. I don't see where sales pressure would be applied unless you were somehow showing off your vintage bike.
Old 08-07-09, 10:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
well i went to a LBS close to my place cuz i was thinking of getting a new stem and handle bars...
bottom line, he told me to stop spending money on my bike, my bike is pretty much crap, save my money and ride it into the ground.
i mean i know my bike is crap but yah :\ fixed my derailleur for free tho....
Raleigh Matterhorn...im disappointed in you today...more than usual
We have no idea exactly how the LBS informed you that your bike is "crap".

While there is nothing wrong with an inexpensive bike, it really might make more sense putting real money into a better bike. The LBS (if they did so politely) might be doing you a service telling you that!

People with old classic bikes have a different problem (more power to them!).

Originally Posted by TryingMyBest
Of course not. Many LBS sell bicycles for much less than that.

Originally Posted by joe_5700
why were you wheeling your bike around an LBS if you only wanted a patch kit? Park bike outside store, get patch kit and leave. I don't see where sales pressure would be applied unless you were somehow showing off your vintage bike.
The real question is why he is patronizing a shop he thinks is "inept and crooked"!

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-07-09 at 11:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.