Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How was Lars Anderson?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How was Lars Anderson?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 09:47 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
How was Lars Anderson?

I really wanted to go.
Old 08-09-09, 11:20 PM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not as much as i did.
i WAS going, until my truck was declared to be on its deathbed 8(
Old 08-10-09, 05:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I was there riding shotgun in the Fuji-filled van with BF-er Scott Ryder. I bought my '66 all-chrome Raleigh Sports and had it set up for show in the Concourse next to Scott's all-chrome Fuji Newest. It's been a few years since I've been to Larz, and I was impressed by the turnout, the amount of stuff at the swap, the number of in the parking-lot deals being made, etc. I saw a few Boston-area BFers (bikemore, southpawboston) and quite a few other locals I know. I was amazed by how many Raleigh DL-1s I saw either for sale or for show, as well as a few Raleigh 20s. The show bikes were on the whole pretty darn nice, including a barn-fresh (still with a heavy layer of barn dust!) '37 Raleigh Golden Arrow, the usual assortment of chrome and painted Paramounts, a remarkable Allegro that the owner had pulled out of a dumpster and set up as a go-fast city bike with hammered Honjo fenders, Edward Albert's aluminum Caminade, and a tricked out front-loading cargo bike that my buddy Gerard built from an Indian utilitarian 3-speed that he bought in Kenya while on vacation. That was cool!

Neal
Old 08-10-09, 05:54 AM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I was there riding shotgun in the Fuji-filled van with BF-er Scott Ryder. I bought my '66 all-chrome Raleigh Sports and had it set up for show in the Concourse next to Scott's all-chrome Fuji Newest. It's been a few years since I've been to Larz, and I was impressed by the turnout, the amount of stuff at the swap, the number of in the parking-lot deals being made, etc. I saw a few Boston-area BFers (bikemore, southpawboston) and quite a few other locals I know. I was amazed by how many Raleigh DL-1s I saw either for sale or for show, as well as a few Raleigh 20s. The show bikes were on the whole pretty darn nice, including a barn-fresh (still with a heavy layer of barn dust!) '37 Raleigh Golden Arrow, the usual assortment of chrome and painted Paramounts, a remarkable Allegro that the owner had pulled out of a dumpster and set up as a go-fast city bike with hammered Honjo fenders, Edward Albert's aluminum Caminade, and a tricked out front-loading cargo bike that my buddy Gerard built from an Indian utilitarian 3-speed that he bought in Kenya while on vacation. That was cool!

Neal
damn.....now i am sadder
Old 08-10-09, 06:15 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
And now some photos:

Scott Ryder's Fuji Lineup:

My all-chrome Sports:

My friend Scott Ebersole's Trek 720, which he purchased new way back when:

More of Scott's Fujis:

Old 08-10-09, 06:22 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with Neal, it was a good show. Lots of interesting bikes. Including a few framemakers (although a few of them I think were emphasising function and cost over beauty, I don't recall the name of the one frame maker who
had nicely made frames). I had my camera and just wasn't into taking pictures. The Edward Albert's were pretty
cool. Good to see Neal and Scott!
Old 08-10-09, 08:59 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemore
I have to agree with Neal, it was a good show. Lots of interesting bikes. Including a few framemakers (although a few of them I think were emphasising function and cost over beauty, I don't recall the name of the one frame maker who
had nicely made frames). I had my camera and just wasn't into taking pictures. The Edward Albert's were pretty
cool. Good to see Neal and Scott!
Nice to meet you Bikemore! Neal, thanks for taking the photos of my group. I seemed to have packed everything in the van except my camera!

As good as the show was (and it was good) I had a special treat. Not only did I get to meet Neal's lovely wife and family but got to eat some of Neal's waffles for breakfast before the show. But wait, there was more! I got a guided tour of Neal's underground lair to see his collection and workspace. Every nook and cranny held something better that the one before it. And a parts collection that I was drooling over. Thanks Neal!

The show/swap itself was much bigger than the year that I had attended before, 2007. I think there were some good bargains to be had although some of the vendors wares were pretty high priced considering condition. One vendor didn't have any prices listed, it was all "make me an offer'. When you made him an offer he didn't agree with he became nasty pretty quick. Everyone else, whether showing or selling was very helpful and willing to answer questions and chat ... Nice people ..

Scott
Old 08-10-09, 11:35 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing bikes! Those Fujis close to art!
Old 08-11-09, 12:25 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I think it was a great show with plenty of opportunities to ogle and talk bikes. The swap was also very good for selling in my eyes (personally I sold more at Larz than at le cirque!!!) Great weather as always (Has it ever rained on the actual Larz show?) The costs involved were very inexpensive (both to participate in the swap or to see the show). The idea of setting up swap spaces where you could park your car was especially well thought out (too bad I realized this after I had completely unloaded my car.) For a single day visitor, I far prefer Larz to what le cirque has become. To enjoy le cirque you need to stay overnight with all the accompanying costs, Larz can be a day affair. I brought my 1937 Bianchi roadster with rod brakes and my mid-60's De Rosa for show and a Galmozzi from 1969 and a full Mavic SSC Team Miyata for sale (no takers even though both were offered at good prices).

Unfortunately I flatted on I-84 as I was driving home, just as it began to rain, meaning I needed to unload everything into the then spitting rain to get at the spare, changing the wheel and driving onwards... I suppose I was lucky as had the flat occurred half an hour later, I would have needed to change it in a torrential downpour.
Old 08-11-09, 06:26 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by javal
Amazing bikes! Those Fujis close to art!
Thanks Javal!

Even tho I was there, if anyone has more photos of the show I'd love to see them .. please post or pass on a link.

Scott
Old 08-11-09, 10:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
.... For a single day visitor, I far prefer Larz to what le cirque has become. To enjoy le cirque you need to stay overnight with all the accompanying costs, Larz can be a day affair.

Unfortunately I flatted on I-84 as I was driving home...
Well at least the East Coast has a show or two. The Left Coast is I guess just too laid back, Velo Rendezvous folded and does not look like it is going to continue.

I learned the spare tire lesson a while back. I now get the spare above deck. Store stuff in its place and of course never get a flat when set up in a prepared fashion.
Old 08-12-09, 07:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello Everyone. scott your Fuji Pro looks great you must have been taking good care of it all these years. the other bikes are just as beautiful. I do agree with Bikemore most riders and certainly the manufactures are placing aerodynamics, function and cost over looks and style. but then again so has the auto industry and the firearms industry.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-26-09, 07:24 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
And now some photos:

Scott Ryder's Fuji Lineup:
hey, that's my leg!!!

i'm late to this thread, but just wanted to say hi to the people i met at larz. was nice meeting scott and seeing neal again. scott, those fujis are to die for!
Old 08-27-09, 08:32 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by southpawboston
hey, that's my leg!!!

i'm late to this thread, but just wanted to say hi to the people i met at larz. was nice meeting scott and seeing neal again. scott, those fujis are to die for!

Thanks SouthPaw, nice meeting you too. Let's stay in touch, you can join Neal and me for one of our North Shore vintage rides.

Scott
Old 08-28-09, 08:21 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
Thanks SouthPaw, nice meeting you too. Let's stay in touch, you can join Neal and me for one of our North Shore vintage rides.

Scott
will do. sounds like a plan!
Old 08-28-09, 03:48 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
What, you two chicken out of the CC death fork ride?

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-28-09, 03:54 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by top506
What, you two chicken out of the CC death fork ride?
Top, when are you heading for the Cape? I'll be down Labor Day, we can do a vintage CCRT ride!

Scott
Old 08-28-09, 04:04 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
As always, sounds good. Might have a new job prospect that will give me some time next week. AND I've changed the BB and rear hub bearings in the Viscount.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)