Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shorts, diapers, and wool undies

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 06:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts

Warning: rant.

I started off in the mid-70's with a pair of wool shorts and a real chamois. I was just rinsing them with warm water and line drying for a few months, then my mom got a hold of 'em, and in they went in the washing machine and dryer, thinking I was just a filthy teenager. They got downsized, the chamois turned into sheet metal, so I bought a pair of burgundy synthetic shorts with an early synthetic chamois. And it was the 70's. I caught a lot of grief, but I kept riding with them. Later I got into standard black, then black bibs, and the synthetic chamois improved. I stopped riding regularly after the kids were born, so there was no need to purchase shorts for a good 10 years.

When I started riding regularly again, my couple of pairs of shorts still had life in them until about a year ago, so off to the LBS I went. To my shock, every single pair of shorts had a thick foam pad in them. The synthetic chamois of yesterday had morphed into "systems" with all kinds of buzzwords written out on cards attached to them. I tried several other shops, one gave me the Monty Python line: "these have less padding in them than the others"... I broke down and found online, get this, some NOS wool shorts in my size. Two pair, different makers, one made in Mexico, the other Spanish. With REAL chamois. But, I think I like the "old" synthetic chamois better, but with no padding. Or if they did, it was almost nothing. And, truth be told, the wool is a bit itchy, just as I remembered them from my youth. I wear wool socks and wool t-shirts as my base layer, but it's the soft, merino wool kind. These shorts aren't.

I don't want or need padding in my shorts. I break in my leather saddles and they fit my behind just right. The padding in the shorts gets squished down anyways quite easily, so it doesn't really do anything, as far as I can tell. 4 decades of riding, some of it long, hard slogging in extreme heat and fairly cold conditions, I don't want to wear a diaper. I did buy a pair just to try them out, rode in them a few times, and hated them.

All I want is a pair of shorts, the kind I purchased a decade or so ago, 6 or 8 panel, with a synthetic chamois. I don't need grippers at the bottom, but I can live with 'em. I need them to fit snug around my junk and hold them away from the rest of my lower personal area. I use Bag Balm-I'm the son of a dairyman, been using it since I started cycling before I knew that others did.

Last, I commute to work, typically with some of those baggy shorts with pockets made for cycling, and used to wear shorts under them. I gave in to Mr. Petersen's siren song of the wonders of woolen underwear, and bought a pair, then, ignoring his fitting guidelines, bought them "snug" sized, since I knew I needed to "keep 'em separated" (as the song goes). So far, so good. I've gone up to 45 miles in them. I have an 8 day tour coming up in a few weeks. I DO have one pair of barely hanging in there lycra shorts with no padding that are still wearable, although they're almost see through at this point. I plan on doing an A-B test between the shorts and the wool undies. The baggy shorts will be worn over both. I'll keep switching off daily if I don't see an immediate difference. I'll stop using one if there is a clear winner.

Iin the meantime, if anyone knows a source of a non-padded, lycra, synthetic chamois short, let me know!
Old 09-05-15, 06:50 PM
garyus

Bikes: 88 schwinn tempo gary fisher mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe Aerotech makes non padded cycling shorts. Based out of Pennsylvania.
Old 09-05-15, 07:03 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Try Santini or Nalini. Last time I bought they had a range of options.
Old 09-05-15, 07:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by garyus
I believe Aerotech makes non padded cycling shorts. Based out of Pennsylvania.
Thanks! I'll order a pair and try them out.
Old 09-05-15, 08:09 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts

Amazon.com : Ibex Outdoor Clothing Men's Duo Shorts, Black, Small : Cycling Compression Shorts : Sports & Outdoors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41oKpc6t6OL._SX425_.jpg (17.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-05-15, 08:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Kucharik offers a variety of chamois, including real leather, and can put them in their own shorts or replace the chamois in your shorts:

Bicycle clothing wool jersey kids winter children club/team apparel. - Kucharik
Old 09-05-15, 11:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

"9-panel construction allows and an 8mm dual-density chamois ensures maximum comfort so you can outlast the ride."

Thanks, but I'm not quite old enough to be in diapers again.

Old 09-05-15, 11:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Kucharik offers a variety of chamois, including real leather, and can put them in their own shorts or replace the chamois in your shorts:

Bicycle clothing wool jersey kids winter children club/team apparel. - Kucharik
Kucharik is still around?

The problem is my shorts tend to wear out before the chamois, so repair isn't in the cards. Trying to figure out what a "Euro Molded One Piece Pad" is. I'll try calling them next week.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-15, 11:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Try Santini or Nalini. Last time I bought they had a range of options.
Not seeing anything that would work forme in the Santini line, what's a NAT chamois?

Nalini 25 chamois-what's that?

I think these are Monty Python shorts
Old 09-06-15, 02:59 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I'm not certain, but I believe recumbant shorts do not have padding, but this is only a guess.

A wool short alternative is ebay seller peanutbuttermusic1. They sell Merino wool shorts with a relatively small pad or a chamois pad. I've had great luck with the pair I bought and with their wool jersey.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-06-15, 07:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
I really like wool underwear, prefer my shorts loose and with pockets, but also don't mind some padding where it counts. My solution has been to wear padded Merino wool undies. Some year's back I sprang for the Rapha ones and haven't regretted it. I don't see them on their website now, I'm afraid.
Old 09-06-15, 07:54 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'm not certain, but I believe recumbant shorts do not have padding, but this is only a guess.

A wool short alternative is ebay seller peanutbuttermusic1. They sell Merino wool shorts with a relatively small pad or a chamois pad. I've had great luck with the pair I bought and with their wool jersey.
Another vote for peanutbuttermusic1. Have not bought any shorts, (have yet to see any that fit me) but I really like the two wool jerseys I have gotten from this seller. Excellent quality at reasonable pricing.

Lynn Travers

Photos