Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

A lot of flex when climbing and sprinting

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 10:45 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I have a custom single speed track bike, the frame is aluminum and it uses an FSA Carbon Track crankset with a 49 tooth Pro Track chainring with the ISIS bottom bracket. I thought this set up would be beyond stiff for my needs but I've noticed when I climb and sprint, there is a lot of flex involved, my bike feels as if it were a noodle. I only weigh 60kg, I am a light rider so It can't be my weight.
Old 02-09-17, 11:02 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More details would help. More information on the frame, maybe a geometry chart. What stem, bars, and seatpost do you have? Where are you feeling flex? What kind of wheels do you have? Have they been trued and tensioned recently?
Old 02-10-17, 12:55 AM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by JeremyLC
More details would help. More information on the frame, maybe a geometry chart. What stem, bars, and seatpost do you have? Where are you feeling flex? What kind of wheels do you have? Have they been trued and tensioned recently?
It's a 6KU Track bike but the frame is pretty much an Aventon Cordoba, they make the same frame in the factory it's just with a different paint job and cheaper components that I have swapped out for better components. I use the stock 100mm 6KU stem, it's pretty decent with 400mm alloy compact drop bars that I got from China, and the stock 6KU seat post which is pretty good as well, I still have the stock wheels which are about 30-35mm deep 28H front, 32H back with 16 tooth free wheel with 25mm Conti Gator Skins. I have trued the wheel but not professionally. I feel the flex mainly betweem the crank arms and the bottom bracket feeling as if it were being twisted from one side to the other when pushing power on it.
Old 02-10-17, 02:17 AM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did you assemble it by yourself or you have LBS do it?

Maybe they not properly torque it, who know, maybe there "gap" you can't see from outside, a little hair gap that allow movement inside when you do it without "proper tools"

I guess though, better take to the shop before you damage it, otherwise, live with it
Old 02-10-17, 07:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Check the frame for cracks.

Have someone stand next to the bike, put the front wheel against a wall and press one of the pedals with their foot, hard. Look at the bike while it is stressed, especially around the bottom bracket and where the seat stays attach to the downtube.

Also, what kind of wheels?

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-10-17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 07:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I'd try riding a couple of other bikes that are as similar as possible to see whether they feel stiffer.

A long shot: did you recently change frame sizes, or is the bike different in some significant way from the bike or bikes that you're used to? When I used to test-ride customers' bikes when I worked in bike stores, I often noticed that larger frames seemed stiffer and smaller frames seemed more flexible, which were illusory perceptions stemming from how I fit on those bikes.
Old 02-10-17, 08:18 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I feel the flex mainly betweem the crank arms and the bottom bracket feeling as if it were being twisted from one side to the other when pushing power on it.
Sounds like lateral frame flex, although no frame is 100% rigid.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-10-17, 09:38 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It's a 6KU Track bike but the frame is pretty much an Aventon Cordoba, they make the same frame in the factory it's just with a different paint job and cheaper components that I have swapped out for better components. I use the stock 100mm 6KU stem, it's pretty decent with 400mm alloy compact drop bars that I got from China, and the stock 6KU seat post which is pretty good as well, I still have the stock wheels which are about 30-35mm deep 28H front, 32H back with 16 tooth free wheel with 25mm Conti Gator Skins. I have trued the wheel but not professionally. I feel the flex mainly betweem the crank arms and the bottom bracket feeling as if it were being twisted from one side to the other when pushing power on it.
You're really wondering why your cheap 6KU frame is flexing?

Yes, they are made in the same factory but aside from having an "aero" down tube, it's a different frame than a Cordoba. The tubing on the Cordoba is double butted, where on the 6KU it is straight-gauge. That alone would make a considerable difference in rigidity.
Old 02-10-17, 01:34 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
You're really wondering why your cheap 6KU frame is flexing?

Yes, they are made in the same factory but aside from having an "aero" down tube, it's a different frame than a Cordoba. The tubing on the Cordoba is double butted, where on the 6KU it is straight-gauge. That alone would make a considerable difference in rigidity.
Well...

FRAME
6061 Double Butted Alloy w/ Smooth
Welding
Old 02-10-17, 02:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Either way, it's a cheapo 6000-series aluminum frame. Of course it's going to flex like a soggy potato chip.

Putting a stiff track drivetrain setup on it will only make the frame flex that more noticeable, as opposed to increasing performance.
Old 02-10-17, 03:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My money says the frame is on crack.
Old 02-10-17, 04:30 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still on positive side, maybe his bike not properly installed BB and parts, not proper torque etc.

Human sense could be deceptive, he thought frame, BB and crank is flex but its may not the case. Wheels may have play so its felt "noodle" on bottom, its all possible.

He is not heavy at all, he said weight 60kg. I have no idea how he even possibly damaged the frame with just 60kg weight.
Old 02-10-17, 04:50 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Nobody is saying he damaged the frame.

I'm saying it's a cheap aluminum frame, which commonly aren't the stiffest. I could probably flex a 6KU Track by giving it a dirty enough look.
Old 02-10-17, 07:25 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Have we ruled out psychosomatic flex?
Old 02-10-17, 08:27 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Have we ruled out psychosomatic flex?
x1000
Old 02-11-17, 10:58 AM
RMoudatir

I forgot to say that for every revolution of the crank, it makes a cracking, creaking sound in the same exact position it turns. It seems to be more obvious when I torque up.
Old 02-11-17, 11:22 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Remove the cranks and tighten the bottom bracket. Then reinstall and tighten the cranks.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-11-17, 11:44 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Diagnosis 101:

Make mention of all related issues/concerns at the time of diagnosis.
Old 02-11-17, 12:25 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I forgot to say that for every revolution of the crank, it makes a cracking, creaking sound in the same exact position it turns. It seems to be more obvious when I torque up.
Pretty common issue for FSA ISIS Drive track cranks.

Let me guess, you bought them used?
Old 02-11-17, 06:05 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I stop by this sub forum to see if anyone is talking about SS MTBs and to read threads like this. There isn't anything this good in the old folks sub forum and the MTB sub forum is kind of on life support. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-12-17, 08:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I have a custom single speed track bike. It's a 6KU Track bike
Since when did 6KU start doing custom bikes? Did you get to choose from a wide array of colors for the frame and low grade colored components and thought that when it said CUSTOM online frame creator they meant it? Oy Vey!!!

I have a Custom Thruster, I put a sticker on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NYAH!
Old 02-12-17, 03:45 PM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Since when did 6KU start doing custom bikes? Did you get to choose from a wide array of colors for the frame and low grade colored components and thought that when it said CUSTOM online frame creator they meant it? Oy Vey!!!

I have a Custom Thruster, I put a sticker on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NYAH!
Lol! no way am I falling for those custom color fixies that cost $200 more than they should! I meant custom as in I bought the 6KU track stock and replaced everything with components I chose except for the the frame, wheels and stem lol
Old 02-12-17, 03:52 PM
RMoudatir

6KU Track https://imgur.com/gallery/VOuBm

This is a pic of my bike currently, ignore the awkward drop bar angle lol
Old 02-12-17, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Lol! no way am I falling for those custom color fixies that cost $200 more than they should! I meant custom as in I bought the 6KU track stock and replaced everything with components I chose except for the the frame, wheels and stem lol
So you added a few non-custom components to a cheap online fixed gear bike and that is custom? When did this happen? The 6KUs are maybe a notch above the colored fixed gears but really not by much if any. Both are lumps of low grade metals shaped like bikes one says Bigshot and one says 6KU.
Old 08-04-17, 09:39 PM
bikerdude69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a custom single speed track bike, the frame is aluminum and it uses an FSA Carbon Track crankset with a 49 tooth Pro Track chainring with the ISIS bottom bracket. I thought this set up would be beyond stiff for my needs but I've noticed when I climb and sprint, there is a lot of flex involved, my bike feels as if it were a noodle. I only weigh 60kg, I am a light rider so It can't be my weight.
i have the same frame with stock parts don't feel a thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.