Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheel Upgrade on Mercier...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-26-19, 07:19 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I picked up an old Mercier for cheap and I'd like to upgrade the original steel wheels with alloy rims. The brakes work better with alloy rims in the rain. Can the generic 27" wheels the bike shop sells use the same 5 speed cog set on the old steel wheel? I know that English threads are more common than French threads on wheels sold at bike shops. Thanks for your help.

Prefer alloy wheels over steel originals..
Old 03-26-19, 07:35 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Yup, good to watch out for possible French threading on components, coming from a 70's French bike.....
Holy Cow! That head tube looks mighty steep!!
Old 03-26-19, 08:59 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Very cool Mercier.

I would expect the freewheel threads on your current hub to be French thread. Your bike shop can pull the freewheel and check. If that is the case, it won't work with a new bike shop wheel, but a new English thread Shimano freewheel should be pretty cheap and will work fine with your derailleur.

Another cheap option is find a decent alloy wheelset at a bike coop.

If you were willing to spend a bit more you could have the shop relace your hubs to a new 700c rim, or do it yourself. That would open up your tire options. Your frame might not be a top-end race frame but it is quite nice and I think deserves an upgrade.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 03-26-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 03:30 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Congrats on the find! Looks to be in great shape, too. I think those American market Merciers with their chrome socks are really pretty. So pretty in fact that I bought one a couple of years ago from a fellow forum member and had it shipped from Canada to Europe. I upgraded some parts and it has served as mrs non-fixie's main ride for the past couple of years:

Old 03-27-19, 09:25 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
If you were willing to spend a bit more you could have the shop relace your hubs to a new 700c rim, or do it yourself. That would open up your tire options. Your frame might not be a top-end race frame but it is quite nice and I think deserves an upgrade.
This is what I did when I rebuilt my first old French bike, a Peugeot AO-8. The Normandy hubs may have been low end but still turned smoothly, so I laced them to new rims. Works great! But check the condition of the hub races before you do that, to make sure everything is smooth and clean.
Old 03-27-19, 10:21 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
I have a similar Mercier (maybe a model 200?) that came to me in rattle-can blue that was one of my entries in the '17 Clunker Challenge. I enjoyed it a great deal, actually, and yours looks pretty much box stock, complete with what appears to be a T.A. cage and bottle. I think it will be a lot of fun. The generic Mercier Luxtub tubing is another example of the old saw about the French having a way with gaspipe, and if you gently rub some oil all over those Delrin Simplex derailleurs you'll help them be less brittle. If the front is broken, leave it in place and oil it up and leave well enough alone.

While you could lace up new 700C rims, if you found a screaming deal on 27-in wheels, that would not be a bad choice. For general riding around, Kenda 27 inch tires are fine, and Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1 1/4 at 70 psi is a smooth and cushy ride that does a lot of things very well. Lots of folks will chime in with the received wisdom that there are more tire choices in 700C, which is true - but how many of those choices are really useful for a non-competitive bike? If you're not out to race, or do anything extreme or awesome, duuuude, 27 is a fine wheel size that works well with classical bike boom machinery.
Old 03-27-19, 11:18 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Several ways to go:

A) The most elegant solution is to relace the original hubs onto new rims. That way you can use your original freewheel and everything else. If you are mechanically inclined and patient, you most likely can do it yourself. DIY is obviously the cheap way to go. If you have to pay to have it done, it may not be worth it. I'd pick Sun M13 rims because they look like old Rigida 1320s, but they are stronger. Or look at the slightly pricier H+Son TB14 if you want the Mavic look.

B) New generic replacement wheels. These most likely will be 126 OLD 6/7 speed sized. Some of these are amazing deals. Cheaper than having a shop rebuild the wheels, but there are extra costs that could make it kind of a wash. The frame would need to be reset and realigned, and you would need to purchase a new freewheel and chain.

C) New wheels as above but have the shop chop the axle 6mm and chop or remove 6mm of spacer. Then redish the rear wheel. Then find a used or NOS or new BSC 5 speed freewheel somewhere, and you'd still need a new chain.

Lastly, if the brakes still have 4mm of room left in the slots to move the pads downward, you could run 700c instead of 27, and increase your rim and tire choices.
Old 03-27-19, 01:15 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
+1 on the 27" with Paselas suggestion. They are my go-to tire and I haven't been disappointed yet. Actually, my own hi-ten Mercier wears them. It's a later European model, which means less chrome, but standard aluminum rims. I kept the steel cranks, BTW, and really like them.

Old 03-27-19, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jeez, level that saddle !

Originally Posted by SilverSteve
I picked up an old Mercier for cheap and I'd like to upgrade the original steel wheels with alloy rims. The brakes work better with alloy rims in the rain. Can the generic 27" wheels the bike shop sells use the same 5 speed cog set on the old steel wheel? I know that English threads are more common than French threads on wheels sold at bike shops. Thanks for your help.

Prefer alloy wheels over steel originals..
as an export bike they may have used a standard british thread hub.. ..

besides if you are riding it freewheels and chains need replacement anyhow....

let the shop sort out the details ..