Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Unsupported ride bag

Old 04-02-19, 01:22 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Unsupported ride bag

By unsupported, I mean wilderness. Let's assume a single long day.

Let's say 100 miles. Likelihood of seeing a car is probably 5-10 a day total or less. No gas station, no easy access to get somewhere busier. If the phone works, no promises there, it might take your friends all day to drive in.

So what do you bring without totally over doing it.

Here is my list
-Food and water, including electrolytes. At least 2000 cal.
-2 extra tubes and patch kit capable of making a boot.
-Pump, not co2.
-Spare quick link for the chain
-Set of Allen wrenches
- Spoke wrench
-space blanket (if **** gets real)
-sunscreen
- butt cream single serve packs
- same clothes I always bring including ulytalultr windbreaker
- half roll of athletic tape for first aid and emergency repairs.

I keep a well maintained bike and I'll be sure to do a thorough check in the days prior. This should be half the battle.

It doesn't seem much different than most of my rides. What am I missing?
Old 04-02-19, 01:46 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I keep advil and benadryl. I'd probably throw in a small roll of gorilla tape and some zipties which can fix almost anything and a 2oz bottle of sealant/tire plugs if running tubeless
Old 04-02-19, 01:47 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
I'll add some things I didn't see on your list that I used or added for my last 100 mile gravel rides. I carry a lot of stuff but only things I've used before or have been in dire need of.

-Pocket sized rain jacket
-Lip Balm
-Cotton neck tube or bandana
-Plug kit
-2 ounce bottle of sealant
-Knife w/pliers
-Fire source (lighter for me)

Those last two rides had issues with smoke and just having a kerchief saved me from a lot of irritants being inhaled. Depending on the roads, 100 miles is a lot of dust that can end up in your airway. Thin cotton fabric like a t-shirt is a good filter without compromising breathing much. The rides did have water access between long stretches but if I was riding 100 miles with no possibility of resupply I would bring a filter.
Old 04-02-19, 01:55 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I have a thin Lycra neck gaitor. It should work as a filter and protect the back of my neck if I want it to.

I do run tubeless and included plugs in my catch all "patch kit"

I wrap my co2 cartridges with gorilla tape. I could bring one.

The ultralight windbreaker isn't water proof but I can coat it.

I like the ibuprofen idea.
Old 04-02-19, 02:00 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Toilet paper. I carry half a roll (it's light) in ziploc (does no good when wet).

Some thin but strong cord that could serve as replacement laces or just to bind two things together, about six feet of it. Maybe thin perlon, maybe kevlar cord.

Let's say 100 miles. Likelihood of seeing a car is probably 5-10 a day total or less. No gas station, no easy access to get somewhere busier. If the phone works, no promises there, it might take your friends all day to drive in.
You found Shangri-La? Sounds heavenly.

Last edited by rseeker; 04-02-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 02:21 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Not quite Shangri-la.

Some is hyperbole, some is real planning, some is thinking about what might be.

I live in Southern Colorado. The Wet Mountains (super dry!), Sangre de Cristo's, and many of the vast open spaces of New Mexico are all within 2 hours drive for me. Even wilder, my parents retired in Northern Wyoming, there is nothing there for miles. It's not a guarantee that I'll see anyone in some of the areas around them, especially during the weekdays.

My upcoming adventure will be more crowded. I'll be riding the White Rim in Moab. It's a 100 mile loop that may push the limit of what should be done on a CX bike. I know it's been done. So it's 100 miles in the sun, on a weekday, on a trail that the NPS limits permits for. I've climbed Monster Tower and Washer Woman, watching the road below I'd expect to see maybe 30 jeeps and 15 other bikes in the 10-14 hours it'll take me. That will give me an opportunity to beg water if needed and a very long and slow bailout if I do need to hitchhike.
Old 04-02-19, 10:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
about the bag..

A good sized handlebar bag or british style wide saddle bag should do

Or, one of the new style Bikepacking bags..? long but not wide...

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-02-19 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 05:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP, you listed a quick link, but not a chain tool. If you have a chain problem, you might need both.

I usually throw in a couple long zip ties for very long remote rides; they weigh almost nothing, but could come in handy.
Old 04-03-19, 07:24 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I just bring this guy with me.

Also a pair of tweezers and a tic tac so he has some supplies.

Old 04-03-19, 12:22 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Water filtration or tablets. That’s a long way without water supply.
Old 04-10-19, 08:10 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Couple additions. I got one of the chain tools for my top cap. It’s brilliant. The seat bag is still only tube, Allen wrenches, multi tool, tire lever, tubeless plugs, and 2 CO2 cartridges with gorilla tape wrapped around them.

Upgraded to a 100oz backpack plus two bottles on the frame.

Main in thing I realized on a long one the other day, segmented chamois (like black bibs) cause a blister at the junction. So it’s gotta be pearl Izumi and Castelli from now on.

Old 04-10-19, 09:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
My upcoming adventure will be more crowded. I'll be riding the White Rim in Moab. It's a 100 mile loop that may push the limit of what should be done on a CX bike. I know it's been done. So it's 100 miles in the sun, on a weekday, on a trail that the NPS limits permits for. I've climbed Monster Tower and Washer Woman, watching the road below I'd expect to see maybe 30 jeeps and 15 other bikes in the 10-14 hours it'll take me. That will give me an opportunity to beg water if needed and a very long and slow bailout if I do need to hitchhike.
I'm really interested in seeing the ride report and photos.

Good luck with this! Should be epic.

-Tim-
Old 04-10-19, 10:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm really interested in seeing the ride report and photos.

Good luck with this! Should be epic.

-Tim-
Only a week and a half away!

Pretty excited.
Old 04-11-19, 01:33 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I took along a BeFree water filter on a gravel ride last year. It wasn't necessary since the ride was less than 40 miles, but it was fun to test out and sure helped. We had clear mountain streams to draw from. It's lightweight, packs down small, and flows fast. this helped a couple of weekends ago on a not-so-remote ride to a lake, where the water supply spigot outside the ranger station still served red/brown water. https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/14946-...efree-0.6L_usa

I also took along a little TP, and The Tent Labs' Duece spade, which is a 0.6 oz aluminum trowel. Both trowel and filter are from my stash of lightweight backpacking gear.

I carry a mini Wolf Tooth roll top bag with tire fixing gear on the underside mount of my downtube (extra tube though i'm tubeless, zip-ties, plugs, levers, an extra velcro strap, and slim multitool), and one extra water bottle cage on the fork (total of three bottles). if i was doing 100 miles, i'd install a fourth cage on the other side of the fork for four bottles, one gatorade, three waters. When i was mountain biking, i started carrying a very small first aid kit, mainly for abrasions from falls, plus ibuprofen/migraine pills. Def a consideration on a remote century. I also have a frame pump on one of my water bottle mounts. No Co2.

I also always take a smallish USB battery charger for my iPhone, which i'm always using for photos. Even in airplane mode "most" of the time, the battery drained on me to almost nothing (3% from full) last weekend on a 30 mile ride in remote foothill ranchland. It looks like this: https://www.anker.com/products/varia...redux/A1234011 Plus I carry a headlight and taillight. The daylight-rated blinking taillight helps on windy roads on the shadow side of hills in late afternoons. or so i imagine.

At the moment, my bags include a half frame Lone Peak frame bag, a Revelate Designs Egress handlebar bag, and the WT mini roll-top bag.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 04-11-19, 02:37 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I would throw in a spare derailleur cable. It would suck to have a broken rear cable and be stuck in the smallest cog on the cassette.
Old 04-12-19, 05:10 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Nobody mentioned bug spray. You only truly appreciate it if you ever had to change a flat tire in the middle of mosquito season. You can run but you can't hide !!!
Old 04-12-19, 09:46 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
When we do WRIAD we start with 5 liters when it’s in the 70’s. That’s for a sub 10 hour ride. On a CX bike you will likely be out there longer than if you had at least front suspension and 2.0 tires.

You can ask for water, but planning on it is not legit, imo.

Old 04-13-19, 10:38 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
A revolver with 3 shot cartridges and 3 slugs.